Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
L42B

Default Help Please

Hey Guys,

I was driving home in my LT Ford Focus aka Ping Crosby. Lately its been diagnosed with a clutch/transmission issue with only 40 000km on the clock. My service provider has said that apparently its a wear and tear item, yet I don't ride the clutch :(

When going up a fairly steep hill in third, I suddenly lost all power and it even struggeled in second gear. Its never done that before. Meanwhile the bottom sounded like it would fall out of the engine

When I did a brief diagnostic check this afternoon the computer came back with the following error:

DTC #01 E196 - does anyone have any idea what that code means. I'm a little annoyed to be honest. At the last service the Ford mechanic said that there was no errors present on the computer

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers L42B

L42B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't help you with the exact problem, but this is supposed to be the message...

E196 (U2196) Invalid data for engine RPM (Invalid CAN message)

Taken from a list on this link below...

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/...iagnostic_Mode

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate sorry to hear that your focus is misbehaving.
What In Focus says is the same as what ive read

Here is some more interesting info that may help

Your main codes begin with

P0000 to P1000 - EOBD codes
P1001 to P1918 - Ford manufacturer codes
C - Chassis codes
B - Body system codes
U - Unidentified communication codes

This site is good for codes aswell - http://bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...rary_obd2_eobd

I found in a dealer service training manual that the focus has a EOBD system that monitors the cars systems.
It comprises of 5 monitors.
1. Comprehensive component monitor (CCM) for emission control components.
2. Combustion misfire monitor
3. Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) monitor
5.Catalytic converter efficiency monitor

It sounds like its comming from the combustion misfire monitor.

You will have too take it to a dealer & get them to fix the problem & do a dealer test cycle (DTC) & reset the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) which affects how the car runs due to its adaptive trim tables (self-learning tables)
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
L42B

So what would cause the engine to combust badly and misfire? Everyones quick responses have been greatly appreciated.

L42B
Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its hard to tell what the exact problem is. It could be anything from spark plugs to fuel systems or even something electronic.

With all of these diagnostic systems that modern cars have. My suggestion would be take it to a dealer or someone who can use these systems to correctly diagnose the problem otherwize its a bit of trial & error & guesswork.

You will still need to take it to someone who can do a "dealer test cycle" because once the fault has been rectified, the fault memory must be cleared. After this all of the monitering systems will then have to be tested to make sure everything is fixed during a drive cycle.

If this isnt done it will not delete a rediness code that will trigger the (MIL) emmision control malfunction indcator lamp & tell you that something is still wrong.

I know it sounds complicated but this is all to make sure the systems are fault free & the car runs properly.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
L42B

Well the problem was found. There was no oil in the engine that certainly explains a lot, and especially the combustion issues.

Called 13 FORD to keep the service provider on there toes so I have every confidence that this will be sorted out. I also have a customer reference number. It is being towed to Ford this afternoon, and as it is highly probable that there is engine damage, it is unlikely that I'll have the car back anytime soon. As I've been driving it like this for about a week.

Seriously though, who would have forgotten to top up the oil when it went in for a service

Cheers L42B
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow its locky the motor didnt cease, just curious was the car overheating at all?? with the lack of oil & did a light come on for low oil pressure