Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #31
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Advanti
john i live in canberra...so anytime you come down from QLD, ill take you up on your offer, and see how we go...u can save your holier than thou attitue for someone else....it was a freaking joke..is it hard for you to walk with ur head so far up ur ****....
Not as hard as it is for you trying to be funny.......as an aside I am fifth dan in origami....hahahaha

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #32
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Argh tell me about it. The road outside my college is a dual lane road, with a separating divder for each direction. it goes for a fair few km's, the speed limit is 70. however, during the school hours, it is 40km/h. This speed limit got introduced at the start of the year, it is plain annoying...50 or so years the college has been there with the normal speed limit through this road, no one has been hurt or killed (that i know about). Think of it as driving down a highway and seeing roadwork 40km/h signs, but being able to see that there clearly are no roadworks.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #33
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
the better question is why arent ALL kids being taught about the dangers of the road? this should be done by parents and teachers. if this had happened like it used to when i was a kid, we wouldnt have/need 40kmh zones.
what the hell do you thinks going to happen if you run out on the road without looking? doesnt matter if your doing 60kmh or 10kmh.
whatever happened to personal responsibilty?
When I was a kid there were no 40kmh zones either.

I remember the day a girl in my class, heard that her little sister was hit by a car and killed when crossing the road outside the school.

I always slow down to 40.

You need to remember kids, especially pre high school aged kids, brains have not fully matured and they are not always able to make clear and correct judgements.

A better question would be to ask why schools are still being built on major thorroughfares and not on sides streets, then most of the time the only folk who need to drive through a 40 zone are parents. Who should have a vested interest in watching for little ones....
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #34
LTDHO
The one and only

I can't remember even hearing about a kid at school being hit by a car. Did it happen alot? I know we were bought up knowing not to run across the road, I guess this no longer applies. So kid will not have this fear.

What happens when kids cross the road on weekends?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #35
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

i have kids and i aggree with any limit they impose . the main road limits are a stalemate and thus the bridges being built . but when i was doin shift work i had the misfortune of trying to pick up my kids at hasslegrove primary and im tellin you , it was the parents who were 90% to blame in there rapid depart to get out of the area that spooked me into havin a say at the local council meet to the point we had camera police there everyday . 70% were mothers on film doin the ragin . not good

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #36
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some interesting posts. I have seen 3 kids hit by cars after school, not nice for all involved. I agree that some schools are in low traffic areas compared to others. I reckon that some politicians would see the solution to make all built up area speeds to be 40k, 24/7. I can see the slogan now “Saves lives, save petrol”. I don’t think age matters re speed. (Not to mention the next step…“why do we need V8’s if the speed limit is 40 etc, etc)

Primary school kids are less aware and physically mature, High school kids are physical fine but their minds are defiantly not on road safety when leaving school grounds (we all can relate to that).

The 40 zone is probably the best comprise, get the cops to warn first and only fine repeat offenders. Thats my 2c worth (and 3c GST, so its really 5c worth rounded up)

Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Well, I don't do 40 in school zones at the moment, cause it's school holidays. :P

Apparantly I heard that the 40 rule still applies during holidays...???
Old 19-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #38
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No its only on 'school days' when the signs say school days, so no holidays. There are some permanent 40 zones in place now around school/highly populated areas. I spend 75% of my time checkin for signs!!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #39
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
No its only on 'school days' when the signs say school days, so no holidays. There are some permanent 40 zones in place now around school/highly populated areas. I spend 75% of my time checkin for signs!!

signage may vary from state to state melz , not 100% sure

Still to come DIVORCE
Old 19-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #40
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The school signs round here are on a hinge and get padlocked up in the holidays.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #41
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The school signs round here are on a hinge and get padlocked up in the holidays.

hmmm preferencial treatment in our nations capital

we just get to use our eyesight on the same signs
here in nsw

bugger act :;; free drugs/alcohol/sex /crackernights yep you got it all?

Still to come DIVORCE
Old 19-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #42
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
And cops should police it.
You kidding? :yeees: how many schools are there in Australia? ... and how many cops? Apparently they are too busy saving lives (or revenue raising), and what happened to the lollipop ladies?. Besides, I occasionally see cops in school zones with the speed guns out - I think that's enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
According to our state government, kids can ride their bikes to school legally at age 10. This is because medically and scientifically, they have developed the road sense and depth perception to cope with it. So why have school zones around high schools?
Agreed!! If a teenager can't cross a goddam road safely, then let natural selection do its job (ok maybe not - but you get my point).

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #43
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEV EB XR8
hmmm preferencial treatment in our nations capital

bugger act :;; free drugs/alcohol/sex /crackernights yep you got it all?
Damn straight lol. All we need is the beach and I would be completely happy
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #44
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Got Lake George Already , What Else Ya Want

Still to come DIVORCE
Old 19-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #45
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

FFS, why dont we all go back to having a guy walking in front of everyone's car waving a red flag?

I adhere to the 40km/h limits, but in no way do i agree with them. Kids should be taught as soon as they start school 'You step onto the road and you could die'. It really is as simple as that. Instead, the government is doing it's best to create an idiot proof world for us to live in. I'm dreading growing older and seeing what becomes of society in 50 years.
Old 19-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #46
GraveDilute

Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
i reckon if u wanna slow down to 40 stay in the focking slow lane... not the overtaking lane thats the only time people me

You sir are a richard cranium of the highest degree.
40kms for 100-200 metres is no big deal in the day.

I have exactly the same situation everyday to work, and yes the mums are the biggest culprits. I went so far as to negotiate new hours at work so that I don't have to cross through that zone when the mum's are dropping their kids off at school. I saw too much scary driving.
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #47
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
You kidding? :yeees: how many schools are there in Australia? ... and how many cops? Apparently they are too busy saving lives (or revenue raising), and what happened to the lollipop ladies?. Besides, I occasionally see cops in school zones with the speed guns out - I think that's enough.
At my girls' school, the last cop I saw was SPEEDING THROUGH said school zone (no lights on or anything). That's the first one that I have seen there THIS YEAR.

All they need to do is sit there with a radar gun once or twice every few months. Get a few people, catch them by surprise, all the parents that speed etc... then ppl will slow down for a while.

It happens along the hwy at Blaxland NSW. A few years ago the cops set up an RBT unit and/or radars along a certain stretch. Did that for a while, then stopped. Guess what? Everybody STILL slows down, cos you never know - every so often a cop sits there.

That's all they have to do at schools, simple. Just a bit, off and on, enough so that there's no routine or rhythm to it so we can't anticipate the next blitz.

They can do this overpolicing/radar crap in Victoria, why not here around the places that count? This is our children ffs.

As for lollypop ladies/men, they have to be PAID. Schools are already stretched to budget, they can't afford to employ someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #48
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bindi you have my total agreement,to your post...There are lollipop ladies at the school where I live don't know if their paid or not...will try and find out.

I am now biting my tongue so as not to incur the wrath of the team to what I would say to those who flaunt the rules.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post