Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR8 / Windsor Engine Mounts

Had both my mounts replaced 7000km ago due to them sagging.

Somehow I have managed to break the LH side mount already. I do drive the car kinda hard but it's auto so the mounts aren't under too much stress and I believe part of the fault has got to be due to a poor quality part. I'm unsure exactly what the mechanic used(I don't go to him anymore for a few reasons).

Anyways, my question is what is the most solid aftermarket mount available for an V8 AU? I don't want to be outlaying this money again in another 6 months.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
stavros68

I went original ford,havent had any probs with a 347
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your reply Stavros.

It turns out the useless mechanic i used to go to put 6cyl mounts in them which aren't anywhere near as strong as the 8cyl (you can see this when you compare the two side by side).

Unfortunetely my old problem has reappeared now where the extractors are banging on the body near where it meets the cat on the left hand side of the car. This will only happen when accelerating in reverse. The only reason i mucked around with the mounts in the first place is because I presumed they were sagging and that was causing this problem. It now turns out maybe they were fine all along and all of this was a useless exercise.....

Regardless I'm obviously just going to take it back to the exhaust place and get him to deal with it but i'm curious.......did anyone else have any clearance issues with Pacemaker Tri-Y PH4001's? Specifically on the left hand side where it meets the cat or around the steering knuckle on the right?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line

Last edited by sd1800; 29-03-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 29-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
i'm curious.......did anyone else have any clearance issues with Pacemaker Tri-Y PH4001's? Specifically on the left hand side where it meets the cat or around the steering knuckle on the right?
Yup, have the same issue on mine, my engine mounts were shagged so made the problem worse, damaging my extractors..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

Some piccies..

Old 29-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Yup, have the same issue on mine, my engine mounts were shagged so made the problem worse, damaging my extractors..
Thanks Cam.

I can't quite make your 1st picture out but I can see what your talking about with the 2nd one.

So what did they do to fix your issue? You say the mounts contributed to your issue but didn't fix it completely?

Cause my mount is new but still having this issue...... :

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 30-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Cam
Stroking it...

My car is being worked on this week, having new engine mounts and gearbox mount will fix it, i hope...
Old 31-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm ok keep me updated with yours.

The plot with my car has thickened.

I approached my old mechanic as to why the mounts were 6cyl versions. He insisted 100% there is no way in the world that he would put 6cyl mounts on a V8. He said they are just a different design and it's simply a faulty mount and he's happy to replace it free of charge(free labour and part). He then took a look at my bay and noticed that the mount that the other mechanic has put in makes my engine sit about 1.5 - 2" lower on the left hand side. This is why the exhaust is banging again. He says if I put the same mount in the right hand side the headers are going to hit the steering arm as there isn't much clearance.

He is claiming that the other mechanic has put the wrong mount in and that I require the extra clearance that the mount he gave me has. I don't know who to believe???? Why I'm stumped is he does have a point, if we drop the other side down the header will more than likely bang on the steering arm. Yet I still don't know if I believe him about them being 6cyl mounts as he did the whole job parts & labour for 2 mounts originally for $380. It sounds like 6 cyl pricing to me?? I thought V8 Mounts cost around $200 each for parts alone?

I have the broken mount here so can anyone tell me if there is any visable differences between the 6cyl & 8cyl so I know for sure?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 31-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
Yet I still don't know if I believe him about them being 6cyl mounts as he did the whole job parts & labour for 2 mounts originally for $380. It sounds like 6 cyl pricing to me?? I thought V8 Mounts cost around $200 each for parts alone?
Mate that seems WAY too cheap, genuine mounts are $220 each, if he got them, and installed then for $380 then I'll be driving to sydney to take my car to him!

I am not sure about the difference in engine mounts, I would imagine that they are physically different, but cannot confirm. Can anyone else?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Mate that seems WAY too cheap, genuine mounts are $220 each, if he got them, and installed then for $380 then I'll be driving to sydney to take my car to him!

I am not sure about the difference in engine mounts, I would imagine that they are physically different, but cannot confirm. Can anyone else?

The mounts the original mechanic put in that cost me $380 for both are just rubber mounts and look near identical to these which are AU I6 Mounts.

I showed him this picture and he said both the V8 and I6 mount can look very similar depending on who remanufacturs them and the design.

I would be much appreciative if someone could confirm if they have ever seen a V8 mount the same design as above and whether it is actually possible to sit a V8 block on I6 mounts?

The new one that I got put last week that cost $220 + labour are similar to these(without the foil but you can see behind the foil that they are steel reinforced unlike the I6).

Just called Repco and RRP on Aftermarket Kelpro V8 mount is $195 (not sure if thats inc or ex GST. I6 mount was $95.

Everything points to the fact that the ones the original mechanic put in were in fact I6 mounts except that THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT MADE MY EXTRACTORS CLEAR THE KFRAME!!! (and possibly the steering arm!)

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line

Last edited by sd1800; 01-04-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
xr8ute
Back on the road

Hmm....bad engine mounts are a pain in the bum. My AU's mounts have given me plenty of grief too. First a snapped bolt, and then brokenn mounts.

I only paid $80 per side to replace the middle section of the mounts (160 total), and the look identical to std. From Wollongong Auto Supplies.

Ford and Repco can be a rip off sometimes...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
fordman302

has anybody else had trouble keeping thier mount bolts in the block of the windsor, i have managed to snap the head of one of my bolts and loose the other one all together, this caused damage to my bonnet as i have a raised manifold which allowed the throttle body to hit the underside of the bonnet, i also had the same trouble with the bolts in my nf v8, ripped both the bolts out and the only repair was to install longer bolts
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sometimes it becomes a problem if the bolts are either loose or a strong arm has over tightened them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
CFOUR
The Destroyer

my ute actually sheared the bolts out of the block on the passenger side. proper ford mounts are plenty strong.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
fordman302

the passenger side is where the problem is because that is the side that tourques up, i have got a replacement mount that i have now not had to use on two cars as a result of this problem, i assume that it can be rectified as v8supercars run the same blocks with heaps more power and they seem to stay attatched
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post