Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Tim27

Default baby capsule fitting advice please.

I've just installed a steelcraft baby capsule into the EL. It's nice and secure, however there is one thing i'm not too sure about. On the side of the capsule, there is a clear viewing window where this green wedge type thingy sits. It's meant to sit within a clear section of the viewing window. This is so you can tell that the capsule is at the correct angle. Mine sits just outside the recommended spot. However, there is a red sticker that stretches beyond the clear section which if I was to go by that, then it's fine. So what I'm asking is, do I go by the red sticker section or does the green wedge have to strictly sit within the clear section of the viewing window. I hope I haven't confused anyone. I can post up a pic if need be. Thanks.

Tim27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Im confused Tim and all these capsules are different, I think a photo may help but you may be better taking it to a licenced fitter ( I know you don't need to be licenced to fit these things) but just to be re assured you did it properly. I've become a pro over the years putiing it in and taking it out when I need to carry stuff in the back
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

In Queensland, the Ambo's will fit it for you foc.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yeah, if you are in QLD let QAS do it for you, properly. Look on the QAS website for the capsule fitting service number and make a booking. Don't turn up at a station thinking the paramedics will fit it for you like many do. We are not trained in it, we are not allowed to fit them and therefore will not do it, we will just give you the number and advise you to make a booking.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
AUIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Yeah, if you are in QLD let QAS do it for you, properly. Look on the QAS website for the capsule fitting service number and make a booking. Don't turn up at a station thinking the paramedics will fit it for you like many do. We are not trained in it, we are not allowed to fit them and therefore will not do it, we will just give you the number and advise you to make a booking.

A baby shop sent us to the Grovely Ambulance Station telling us to just rock up and they will fit it as you mentioned this is not the case.

Also if you are in brisbane Kid Safe at herston will check your capsule and car seats http://www.kidsafeqld.com.au/
Old 16-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
BA Baracus
xls

We got given info about free fitting by Mater public in Bris recently, seemed like a generic thing so might be offered at all mothers/childrens public hospitals maybe if there's one near you.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Tim27

Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll just leave it as is, as I can't see any other way it can be fitted. It's nice and secure. It's just that the angle indicator does'nt quite match up.
Tim27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim27
Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll just leave it as is, as I can't see any other way it can be fitted. It's nice and secure. It's just that the angle indicator does'nt quite match up.
Be very careful. Without knowing your model capsule, some capsules must be on the correct angle so that a frontal impact causes the baby capsule to swing down into the base and therefore dissipate the force applied to the occupant to a safe level. Having an incorrect angle may change this dissipation of force, thus applying that force on your child, or even worse cause the capsule to fail completely and throw the occupant out (I hate turning up to a prang and having to try and find a baby out the window or under a seat).

Seriously, I would get it checked by a competent installer, this is your child and you would never forgive yourself if the worst was to happen.
Old 17-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had mine installed - (I am from Vic and think they passed laws that all baby seats have to be installed by a certified installer) - It was around $20 - $30 - very easy to do - but now I have a bit of paper to carry around .

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post