Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

Default What should i buy??????

Hey all,

Just after some opinions on what my next car should be. I currently own a 99 AU fairlane Ghia V8, which i love, but due to the constant rego rises and fuel rises i am looking at something a bit smaller and cheaper to run. My budget is about $12-14 max

There are only a couple of things my new car has to have:

Manual
Leather (can live without it, but its good)
Either RWD or AWD

So that narrows it down a fair bit, i came up with either a 99-02 Audi A4 or a 99-02 BMW 318i or 328i (if im lucky) or maybe a 99-01 WRX.

Now i really like all the comforts the fairlane has, so i really dont want to stray away from them, and to me the WRX doesnt seem posh enough.

So if anyone could give me some constructive critism on what/what not to get that would be great.

EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
zdcol71
zdcol71

You want something cheaper to run and 2 of your suggestions are 10 or so year old Europeans???
Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub
opinions on which european car i should buy(limited budget)
Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If running costs are the only reason, I would just put the Fairlane on Gas and you will have a car cheaper to run than all of the cars your considering, plus is still a big comfy V8.

However if your after a change, I would look into something like a Subaru Liberty RX manual. Be warned that it wont be outstanding on fuel, but it should be reliable.

Your right about rego costs, it is a killer in Anna's QLD.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Go the LPG route, It'll only cost $1000 once you get the rebate back. I live out Mudgee way and am paying 64.5c p/l and it only costs me just over $40 to fill up from dead empty (68l usable), with a fuel docket. In my VCT Sportsman I average around the 400km mark to a tank; that's just over $10 per 100km mixed driving. That goes up to 520-550km going over the mountains to Sydney and pushes 600-630km going west on the flat depending on the load. I can't see why the old widsor wouldn't do similar with an educated right foot.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parts & servicing costs will be the limiting factor in a 10 year old Audi or BM - very expensive.

Are you looking for something cheaper for a general run around or are you looking for something to modify to spend more money on & street cred.

If no to the above - a suggestion that could be considered would be an upmarket 2003 -04 Corolla with all the fruit.

Good luck.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be considering the WRX. The traditional looking first series. Potentially a 99 or 2000 model. Be careful though, they are a boy racer's wet dream. So avoid any seller's who describe their cars as " awesome " or " sick ".. look for old guys who bought these things as sporty tourers in the late 90s and have left then stock.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should get a LPG conversion for the AU. Been using it now for 10 years and have saved a bucket load.
Also own a '06 Peugeot 307 which has a 2.0L Turbo Diesel engine that returns approx 6L/100kms. The 4.0L Falcon on gas still works out cheaper than the oil burner to run. Not to mention servicing/parts costs for cars from across the oceans.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noosa car dealers have squillions of low km second hand euros but unfortunately they are mostly higher end. The southern states "Noosa weekender" set seem to turn them over every 3 or 4 years but seldom drive far in them.

LPG is a solution as long as you don't want to go west or north a lot as it can be a bit thin on the ground. Also LPG is a LOT more expensive in QLD than in the southern states (at the moment 65-85 c/l).

$12k will get you into quite a lot of nice toys but look at the big picture before buying.

rego: V8 $1000, 6 $800, 4 $600 per year

So you can save either $200 or $400 which works out to $4 or $8 per week

Based of petrol costing $1.50/litre and you doing 20,000km/yr (400/wk):

15l/100 = 3000l = $4500 = $90/wk
12.5l/100 = 2500l = $3750 = $75/wk
10l/100 = 2000l = $3000 = $60/wk
7.5l/100 = 1500l = $2250 = $45/wk
5l/100km = 1000l = $1500 = $30/wk

So if you go from a petrol eating monster 15l/100 V8 to a bubble car and actually continue to drive 400km/wk it will take 3 years to break even (3x$3000 + 3x$400).

If your V8 is 12.5 and you go to a 7.5 4cyl then it will be 6 years to break even.

If you convert your V8 to LPG your rego remains the same but your fuel costs will be about 2/3rds as although it is cheaper you use more. You also still have an auto not a manual.

$12k will get you a manual BA XR6. This will get about 10l/100 and have 6 cyl rego.
So based on the above approximations (assuming the 15l/100 for your AU) you will be square in about 7 years and you will have already sold it by then.
If your AU is better than 15l/100 then it will be even longer.

For a "car enthusiast" there is more to driving and choosing your vehicle than saving money. It is your "chariot" and the time you spend in it is "quality time".
If not you can buy a brand new Hyundai Getz manual for $12k that comes with 5 year unlimited km warranty, goes quite well with 2 POB and a boot full of computers, costs $600/yr rego, gets 6l/100km and will give you more than half your money back after 5 years (80% after 2).

I just bought one as a work car and it is a little beauty....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

For a "car enthusiast" there is more to driving and choosing your vehicle than saving money. It is your "chariot" and the time you spend in it is "quality time".
If not you can buy a brand new Hyundai Getz manual for $12k that comes with 5 year unlimited km warranty, goes quite well with 2 POB and a boot full of computers, costs $600/yr rego, gets 6l/100km and will give you more than half your money back after 5 years (80% after 2).

I just bought one as a work car and it is a little beauty....

Before the wife got a Fiesta, I took a Getz for a quick drive and honestly the amount you get for the money is fantastic.

For me it is the best value car on the market and Im including build quality and driving enjoyment in my definiton of value.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Before the wife got a Fiesta, I took a Getz for a quick drive and honestly the amount you get for the money is fantastic.
The main problem with a Getz is that you wear them, not drive them.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The main problem with a Getz is that you wear them, not drive them.
What you mean like a porsche or ferrari?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
$12k will get you a manual BA XR6.
Where did I go wrong? I was looking all throughout last year and they wanted $17,500+ for ones with no options in private sales.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
bernadette86
soon to be low

You can pick up a xr6 turbo for 17500 with reasonable km's. Put the fairlane on gas euro cars are nice to look at, nice to drive but why own one. Expensive to service and repair.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

For me it is the best value car on the market and Im including build quality and driving enjoyment in my definiton of value.
Sorry, I must've stumbled into the girl's car forum.
The men's Ford forum is next door ...sorry ...
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Sorry, I must've stumbled into the girl's car forum.
The men's Ford forum is next door ...sorry ...

Meh, I can appreciate a good little honest car for 12 grand. Now where did I leave my handbag...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hired a 2009 Hyundai Getz just last week and drove it around Brisbane and the Gold Coast. If you're looking for a jacked up go-kart that sounds like a turbo diesel, by all means get one.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Where did I go wrong? I was looking all throughout last year and they wanted $17,500+ for ones with no options in private sales.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...rt=1647&Nne=15

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...del_String%7C0

Last edited by flappist; 11-05-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

You've got 10-12k right? Convert the V8 to DI LPG if it's available for the 5L. And expect the same range out of a tank of petrol for less than half the price. And LPG is found in more places than just capitol cities!

You get tokeep between 4-6k in your pocket and last I heard if you have LPG then insurance is cheaper too. Not sure about rego though.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sell up.. buy a Combi and go fruit picking........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
You've got 10-12k right? Convert the V8 to DI LPG if it's available for the 5L. And expect the same range out of a tank of petrol for less than half the price. And LPG is found in more places than just capitol cities!

You get tokeep between 4-6k in your pocket and last I heard if you have LPG then insurance is cheaper too. Not sure about rego though.
Thankyou all for ideas. I have now concidered just putting the lane on gas, and keeping the old girl. I have quite a soft spot for her, and its not an OVERLY common car, especially with 19s and lowered.

So my next question is, what are some good lpg systems to install. I have had a quote for $2600 for a sprintgas system. Are they ok for what i need????
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #21
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Sell up.. buy a Combi and go fruit picking........

^^^ Just beat me to it
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF-MattyB
Thankyou all for ideas. I have now concidered just putting the lane on gas, and keeping the old girl. I have quite a soft spot for her, and its not an OVERLY common car, especially with 19s and lowered.

So my next question is, what are some good lpg systems to install. I have had a quote for $2600 for a sprintgas system. Are they ok for what i need????

Yup, a quality installation with Sprintgas would do just fine. You could also look at Impco and a number of other brands. Have a search on the LPG forum and you'll get some ideas.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF-MattyB

This question I would guess needs to be asked in the LPG section http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=71 . There are some real LPG nuts (in a good way) over there that can tell you! And give you tips on WHO to take it to and who NOT to take it to.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post