Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veefore
It is totally about safety. You simply cannot see as clearly and perform a lot of day to day manoeuvres properly in a LHD car. If there were a lot more of them you would be hearing about a lot more "I didn't see him" accidents..
but as pointed out, the UK allows LHD cars without major restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
One of the most important things would be knowing where the centre line in the road is. If you driving a LHD, your would be more inclined to keep aligned with the edge (shoulder) of the road, instead of the centre of the road.
same reason you don't drive off the edge of the road in a RHD car, you learn where the tires are going to be.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #32
v gate

If you sat in a new demag or leibher or any of the newer road going cranes you would be shocked at how low you sit and as for being professional driver the truth is most people would cover more ks in a year than a crane would in 5yrs. Then in that 5 yrs you could easily have 10 different operators. Some may have driven lhd some may have less than 100km heavy ridged ks full stop.
The easy way to end the lhd to rhd debate is a driving test if you want lhd rather then the way it is now
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

to get a crane licence is not like getting a car licence is it. wouldn't you have to work your way up - with small truck licences and the like. most truck drivers have better control over their vehicle and better perception than most car drivers. the size of them and the potential damage they can do creates a different approach to driving

personally i think the rule is fine the way it is. many people that should not be within 10 metres of a car, pass driving tests. passing the test has nothing to do with knowing how to drive. if a rule banning newer lhd's is the most unfair rule we have, then there is no problems with our system. can anyone here imagine what it would be like if our friendly commode dore or skyline drivers had access to left hand drive. they could pass a test alright, but after that . . . .
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

So where does this leave me when i want to import a McLaren F1...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #35
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
So where does this leave me when i want to import a McLaren F1...
not sure, but you would want to enter it from the left hand side. either wise entering may have a totally different meaning
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #36
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Lhd

Like 888 said LHD in Alice Springs they are everywhere
I lived in the Alice in 1970 and there were a heap of LHD cars
mostly yank ones because of the space bace personel
but I also saw a LHD HR Holden there
and in Darwin there was a LHD S model Valiant 2 door that I tried to buy
but it wasnt for sale
I also drove a NR Mack left hand drive truck with a duplex box
and I never had any trouble
now I have a LHD Thunderbird
see my earlier post
that should be on the road soon
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #37
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

well if they ever got rid of this stupid law, i would have a 2006 dodge viper in the garage asap
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
69ISH

The way I see it is that it is one law for all as all the previous posts are all relevant but I still can't see how they can allow for instance cars in perth being allowed LHD and for one group of individuals and another group individuals being forced to convert to RHD.
I think may be it is time to star a petition and speak to my local member or does anybody know any members who are car nuts.
69ISH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #39
gtxb67

you do realise if it is one law for the whole country, the only way the rule will be changed is so wa changes to match the rest of the country. and the rest of the states will be given double demerit points on holiday weekends to keep inline with nsw etc. etc. etc.

no rules regarding enthusiasts cars will ever be changed to suit enthusiasts. in other states don't buy an lhd until it is 30 years old. in wa or nt, you can start shopping earlier
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
you do realise if it is one law for the whole country, the only way the rule will be changed is so wa changes to match the rest of the country. and the rest of the states will be given double demerit points on holiday weekends to keep inline with nsw etc. etc. etc.

no rules regarding enthusiasts cars will ever be changed to suit enthusiasts. in other states don't buy an lhd until it is 30 years old. in wa or nt, you can start shopping earlier
OR

Register it in another state. It will be an interesting court case should they try to force you ro register it in your own state but then not accept registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitution Section 92:
On the imposition of uniform duties of customs, trade, commerce, and intercourse among the States, whether by means of internal carriage or ocean navigation, shall be absolutely free.
But notwithstanding anything in this Constitution, goods imported before the imposition of uniform duties of customs into any State, or into any Colony which, whilst the goods remain therein, becomes a State, shall, on thence passing into another State within two years after the imposition of such duties, be liable to any duty chargeable on the importation of such goods into the Commonwealth, less any duty paid in respect of the goods on their importation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constition Section 117:
A subject of the Queen, resident in any State, shall not be subject in any other State to any disability or discrimination which would not be equally applicable to him if he were a subject of the Queen resident in such other State.

Last edited by flappist; 09-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #41
glavas

it wasent tonga that changed to lhd it was samoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
OR

Register it in another state. It will be an interesting court case should they try to force you ro register it in your own state but then not accept registration.
If you have a residential address in that state for more than three months, the police and transport
department can compel you to change your cars registration, we've just been through this one
with an employee temporarily transferred to Queensland, he's actually here for six months and
the local coppers are all over him, we had to give them a letter stating that he is on temporary transfer
and would be leaving on a set date...

The problem of LHD regestration is painful, I agree that there should be special licencing grade
for people wishing to drive a left hooker but the states seem determined to enforce a minimum
standard on cars that are driven basically every day, I know that you can get special registration
for LHDs in Qld if they see limited street time but once the cops are onto to you that's the end...

I don't know that anyone outside a strong political force would begin to sway the various transport departments into what they perceive is a denegraton of safety standards, they don't like LHD but if the volumes are low then there's no problem. What they don't want to see is everyone going out and regestring LHDs all over the place, grey imports would go through the roof.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If you have a residential address in that state for more than three months, the police and transport
department can compel you to change your cars registration, we've just been through this one
with an employee temporarily transferred to Queensland, he's actually here for six months and
the local coppers are all over him, we had to give them a letter stating that he is on temporary transfer
and would be leaving on a set date...

The problem of LHD regestration is painful, I agree that there should be special licencing grade
for people wishing to drive a left hooker but the states seem determined to enforce a minimum
standard on cars that are driven basically every day, I know that you can get special registration
for LHDs in Qld if they see limited street time but once the cops are onto to you that's the end...

I don't know that anyone outside a strong political force would begin to sway the various transport departments into what they perceive is a denegraton of safety standards, they don't like LHD but if the volumes are low then there's no problem. What they don't want to see is everyone going out and regestring LHDs all over the place, grey imports would go through the roof.
If they compel you to transfer the rego and then refuse to register it then they may be in breach of the constitution.

The state police and governments have ended up with egg all over their faces on many occasions due to myopic law making and dogmatism.

e.g (off the top of my head) possession of firearms that were prohibited in one state but legal in another, the open speed limit signs, P plates on cars from states where there were no P plates (e.g. QLD driving in VIC).

Several years ago there was a EH holden up here with a 327 chev V8 transplanted in it. It was illegal to do this at the time in QLD so it had NSW registration. Local coppers kicked up a fuss but ended up losing as the magistrate ruled that as it cannot be registered in QLD then they cannot force it to be deregistered.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #44
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few weeks back I saw a Ford Escape HYBRID on the highway between Sydney and Newcastle. It had a big sticker saying "Caution: Left Hand Drive" so obviously an American or Asian escape.

Any ideas how this was imported and registered?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.8L Hilux
A few weeks back I saw a Ford Escape HYBRID on the highway between Sydney and Newcastle. It had a big sticker saying "Caution: Left Hand Drive" so obviously an American or Asian escape.

Any ideas how this was imported and registered?
What number plates did it have on it?

A few years ago Volvo were testing their little 4cyl cars and brought some to Oz, but they had Euro rego plates.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #46
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
What number plates did it have on it?

A few years ago Volvo were testing their little 4cyl cars and brought some to Oz, but they had Euro rego plates.
I can't quite remember the plates sorry. He was doing about 125 when he went past. I tried to catch up with him for a while (I'm only on P's 100km/h) but I then saw a highway patrol car on the side of the road. The only time I saw a cop on a 5 hour trip and the only time I was speeding was when I saw the Escape
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Several years ago there was a EH holden up here with a 327 chev V8 transplanted in it. It was illegal to do this at the time in QLD so it had NSW registration. Local coppers kicked up a fuss but ended up losing as the magistrate ruled that as it cannot be registered in QLD then they cannot force it to be deregistered.
That struck a nerve, we had a local go to Victoria and return to Gladtone with a 308 powered HR back in 1990. The cops knew him well and warned
him several times, the last with conviscation. The laws have no doubt changed much since then but you don't see too many "strnage "rides" around
for a very good reason, the cops and transport department keep them well pruned..

All of that is completely different situation to an un modified LHD vehicle, something with certian provisions IMO should be allowed here....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #48
JimNiki
71Mach1

Mate at work bought a nice blue 66 mustang coupe.
It was nicely converted to RHD. Sold it a couple of years ago to a bloke in a mid life crysis from NSW. The guy rang back weeks later to say he wants his money back cause he cannot get it registered in NSW because the wipers hadn't been converted!
This made it a visibility danger to the driver.If it was left LHD, it wouldv'e been ok.
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post