Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GM Holden recalls 9,000 cars over faulty fuel hose

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...A4Biu50kxNoJHw

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
GrimmReaper09

Yeah this is what happens when u "cost cut" too far. U end up with cars that fall apart.
GrimmReaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmReaper09
Yeah this is what happens when u "cost cut" too far. U end up with cars that fall apart.
Like the brake booster check valves in the BF falcons? and the brake vacuum pump in diesel focus and Mondeo's? steering wheels in transit vans? Brake hoses and ball joints in Terri's? park brake in 3 seater falcon ute's..... need I go on?

What a stupid and one eyed comment, as I have said before, good to see Holden jumping on the problems so quickly and not delaying it as long as possible like ford and Toyota are/have recently worrying about cost and their image being tarnished.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Holden only did that, not because they are a good corporate citizen who do the right thing by their customers, but because they couldn't get away with it. A leaking fuel hose will result in fires, nothing you can do to cover that up.

Cars catching on fire tend to go under the media spotlight quite quickly, unlike say a faulty handbrake in a Falcon ute or balljoints that break in a Territory.

: :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any car maker who takes the responsibility to recall cars they know are faulty is doing the right thing in my eyes. I'd like to think that while cars are in development and driving millions of miles in extreme conditions engineers would pick up on these faults, but we're all human, and mistakes happen. At least they've put their hands up and fixing the issues. Don't get me wrong, cars are built at a cost and the Holden Cruze is a perfect example of that, but they are fixing the problem and there has been no life lost.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
GrimmReaper09

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Like the brake booster check valves in the BF falcons? and the brake vacuum pump in diesel focus and Mondeo's? steering wheels in transit vans? Brake hoses and ball joints in Terri's? park brake in 3 seater falcon ute's..... need I go on?

What a stupid and one eyed comment, as I have said before, good to see Holden jumping on the problems so quickly and not delaying it as long as possible like ford and Toyota are/have recently worrying about cost and their image being tarnished.

Stoney!
:: I didn't say it was just holdens, you just assumed I was talking about holdens alone. All the manufacturers are doing it not just holden. All makes and models have their own faults....some more than others.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity Jeep did not do this with the Grand Cherokee's and such...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
BGBOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmReaper09
This re-call isnt being carried out as a result of cost cutting. Its because of a batch of fuel hoses that were used of which quality cannot be gauranteed. The recall involves replacing the fitting on the fuel feed hose which connects to the rail. Not the entire hose.
BGBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
GrimmReaper09

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBOSS
This re-call isnt being carried out as a result of cost cutting. Its because of a batch of fuel hoses that were used of which quality cannot be gauranteed. The recall involves replacing the fitting on the fuel feed hose which connects to the rail. Not the entire hose.
Exactly my point. If they didn't cost cut so far they wouldn't have had the fuel hoses of which "quality could not be guaranteed" in the first place.
Old 25-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #10
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Whats to say it wasn't a problem with the supplier of which wasn't quite made to initial specifications yet didn't show up in testing?

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Whats to say it wasn't a problem with the supplier of which wasn't quite made to initial specifications yet didn't show up in testing?

Stoney!
geez do you work on the GMH assembly line or something? steady on.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stoney, everyone knows that car manufacturers today, are basically assemblers, and are very little involved in the making of things. However, as the Manufacturer of the car, they are responsible for all the parts that go into the car. The issue lies in the seperation of parts manufacturers and car companies. Take Holdens for instance, none of their suppliers are running at a profit (indeed niether is Holdens). In one foul swoop in Oct 2008, Holdens suppliers business fell by half. The leases didnt fall by half, the wages didnt fall by half, the depreciation didnt fall by half. Redundancies were made (adding more pressure to the bottom line), and costs were cut everywhere. Most companies still see quality as a cost and not a marketing tool. Trust me, this was the frist cuts to be made. Out of all the companies that required cost cutting, was Holdens and Daewoo (you only have to see it in the current recalls), and this has simply taken half a year to feed thru the supply chain.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone with a straight face, claim that Ford Aust haven't been doing the same thing for years? A quick look at these forums, shows cost cutting in engineering, build quality and decontenting of cars.

The key difference is Ford will not recall a defective car, unless they can think of any way to avoid it. The recent Terri debacle comes to mind, where even after intense media scrunity and a devastating blow to the perception of the car to the public, Ford still will not recall all the cars.

"You see us, we don't see you" is not a solution.

Add BA Falcons, diffs that never worked properly in the V8's, lemons that were just "fixed" until the warranty run out and even the odd dealer who just gave up on a car or customer and wouldn't fix it anymore.

And how many of us heard and then experienced a common fault in their Ford, seen it plastered all over these forums, by many members and then only to take it to the Ford service manager to hear "first we've heard of it" or "they all do that" or my favourite "within manufacturers tolerances".

Yeah Holden have problems, but they have a way to go to catchup on what Ford has been doing for years.

You would have to be a one eyed Ford fan not to see that.

Good on Holden for at least being upfront and tackling the problem - whatever the cause. Would be nice if Ford Australia could bring themselves to do the same!
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
BGBOSS

Quote:

Stoney!
Thats pretty much what it was mate.

As far as I know the fuel hose fittings are still sourced from the same manufacturer. Is was simply a batch of hoses that were manufactured out of specifications. They were tested and they passed testing WHEN MADE TO SPECIFICATION. This specific batch was not. It doesn't mean they will all leak, it means that testing has shown there is not consistent quality with a certain batch of product produced, so that entire batch is recalled to be safe. Happens to holden, happens to high-end merc, happens to toasters, happens to televisions. Has nothing to do with cost cutting
Old 25-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #15
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Thats pretty much what it was mate.

As far as I know the fuel hose fittings are still sourced from the same manufacturer. Is was simply a batch of hoses that were manufactured out of specifications. They were tested and they passed testing WHEN MADE TO SPECIFICATION. This specific batch was not. It doesn't mean they will all leak, it means that testing has shown there is not consistent quality with a certain batch of product produced, so that entire batch is recalled to be safe. Happens to holden, happens to high-end merc, happens to toasters, happens to televisions. Has nothing to do with cost cutting

BullS!!T.., Your kidding right?? Has everything to do with cost cutting. otherwise they would have been maufactured to specification and this recall would not have happened.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Haha, have you ever worked in a manufacturing environment GTpilot, mistakes happen, its not good when it does happen but it most certainly does. Has nothing to do with cost cutting, bet when they get to the bottom of this that the person/s responsible for the quality of this product will get a nice and hard butt kicking.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
BGBOSS

Wow.. So by your logic, If a more expensive fuel hose fitting was used, they could gaurantee ALL would be made within specification??
Old 25-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Wow.. So by your logic, If a more expensive fuel hose fitting was used, they could gaurantee ALL would be made within specification??
No, more thorough QA would be present and substandard parts would not have left the fatory.

and YES I have worked in manufacturing......... And NO I am not saying mistakes don't happen. but 9,000 cars IMO is more than a mistake. The person responsible is probably not paid enough to give a rats or do their job properly.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BG, It is just absolutely insanity to think that a company who is losing money (like Holdens or Daewoo or Ford for that matter), would work to best quality standards. Whether it be by shortening validation times or using less superior materials, sacrifices are made.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
No, more thorough QA would be present and substandard parts would not have left the fatory.

and YES I have worked in manufacturing......... And NO I am not saying mistakes don't happen. but 9,000 cars IMO is more than a mistake. The person responsible is probably not paid enough to give a rats or do their job properly.
Then that wouldn't be Holdens fault but the suppliers, do you seriously think Holden would of let 9000 cars out knowing they're faulty only to recall them down the track. Bet the supplier will be in deep poo poo for this.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #21
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Then that wouldn't be Holdens fault but the suppliers, do you seriously think Holden would of let 9000 cars out knowing they're faulty only to recall them down the track. Bet the supplier will be in deep poo poo for this.
Dude, Where did I say it was Holdens fault??
Ofcourse it is the parts maunfacturer that is at fault. The sad part is some poor underpaid overworked manager or bloke in QA will be the scapegoat for all of this.
Would not surprise me to see another auto maker have a similar recall soon.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not just 9000 cars in Oz, the Cruze was sent to a few other markets NZ, China, Middle east to name a few. All are being recalled. As for Australia, technically it may not be a Holden Fault, but it is a Holden Problem. The supplier will probably reimburse costs for new parts, and rework, but Holden will wear the costs of a sale hold for a few weeks and negative publicity.