Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default BMW to supply engines for US squad cars

BMW to supply engines for US squad cars
KEN THOMAS
March 25, 2010 - 7:19AM

AP

Carbon Motors Corp, a new company planning to produce fuel-efficient police cruisers, said on Monday it had chosen Germany's BMW AG to supply its engines.

Carbon Motors is developing the Carbon E7 squad car, which it says is the first vehicle specifically designed for police use.

The prototype includes bulletproof door and dash panels, radiation and biological threat detectors and diesel engines that can reduce fuel costs by up to 40 per cent.

The company, based in Connersville, Indiana, said BMW will supply more than 240,000 diesel engines for the squad car, which could get more than 35 miles per gallon.

The inline six-cylinder engine includes cooling and exhaust gas systems and automatic transmissions.

Carbon Motors is awaiting approval of a $US310 million ($A337.32 million) federal loan so it can begin production of the energy-efficient police car, which is expected to begin in 2013.

Chief Executive William Santana Li said the company had cleared an initial hurdle with the Energy Department and was hoping to receive approval this summer.

The upstart company is bringing fresh competition to the US police car market. Ford Motor Co, which sells 70 per cent of all US police cars, recently revealed its new Police Interceptor sedan, based on the Ford Taurus, which will replace the Crown Victoria-based cruiser at the end of 2011.

Chrysler Group LLC has a Dodge Charger-based police car that captured 18 per cent of US sales last year while General Motors Co plans to relaunch the Chevrolet Caprice police car after a 15-year absence. GM also sells a police car based on the Chevrolet Impala.

Li said the E7 squad car was "designed by law enforcement, exclusively for law enforcement" after receiving months of feedback from police officers. He said 350 US law enforcement agencies have placed over 13,000 orders for the vehicle.

© 2010 AP

Old 25-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

Those E7 squad cars look horrible, sorta looks like a suzuki mated with a set of christmas tree lights.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The inline six-cylinder engine includes cooling and exhaust gas systems and automatic transmissions.
Doesn't pretty much any engine ever produced have a cooling system and an exhaust system?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

i'm assuming they mean that bmw takes care of the emission, intake and cooling side of things, all the ancillary bits so their engine works to it's optimum thing-a-me-jig levels.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think it looks a bit 300c, quite impressive specs and some very interesting features. I find it very interesting the way they have built the high intensity LED emergency beacons into the pillars and roof line, very cool.

It will be interesting to see how Ford and GM compete with this beast, hard to compete with a car that truly is purpose built, not just modified.

I think the stumbling point for this vehicle is going to be cost. Most "modified" police vehicles can be transformed back to standard and sold when they are too old. You can not do this with a purpose built vehicle such as this, so there is no recovery of costs when the vehicle reaches the end of it's operational life.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only problem is when it comes time to sell.. do they crush them or strip them.... cant have people buying cars with built in shotgun holsters on the side of your seat... or an air horn and siren button in the console .... tazer chargers even...

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
only problem is when it comes time to sell.. do they crush them or strip them.... cant have people buying cars with built in shotgun holsters on the side of your seat... or an air horn and siren button in the console .... tazer chargers even...
From what I've heard, apparently they either have to be returned to the factory for destruction or to be resold to another police department....
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post