Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Default Camera Car on a FWY?

Can someone point out the juristiction on how legal a camera car is, on a FWY?

There was a 10km line of traffic, bumper to bumper doing about 20kph, tonight on the Monash Freeway, all because of 2 camera cars.
People get that scared, that they will set off the camera, they literally stop just before the camera car. (due to the high incidence of supposive speeding cars when they aren't actually speeding).
This created a major stop-start traffic hazard, increasing the risk dramatically, of accidents.

Scenario is 100kph zone, with a good long downhill grade. Though never seen an accident in that area in over 10 years.

I was under the impression was that a camera car can only be placed on a downhill grade in an high accident zone??

Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

This isn't normal for Vic?
It's normal for QLD!
Old 24-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

They do it all the time on the Metropolitan Ring Road out near Thomastown too. I don't come to work that way anymore (unrelated) but every man and their dog would go past at bloody 80kph in the 100kph zone hoping they wouldn't get flashed. Extremely frustrating.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Umm, just did some research and finally found a current document.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wc...oc?MOD=AJPERES

Quite interestingly it quite clearly states the following :

Peak Traffic Periods

Mobile speed cameras as a general rule should not be used during peak traffic periods, particularly in the inner Metropolitan area. It is a waste of an expensive resource (and generates criticism and ridicule) to operate a speed camera during peak periods when traffic volumes reduce the traffic flow to speeds lower that the posted limit.

In some extenuating circumstances, camera operation in this traffic period may be necessary. This will need to be validated by the Regional Traffic Inspector.

In my view, reading that document, quite clearly the camera operators infringed upon "Criteria 2" and "Criteria 3"
Quite particularly, "traffic flow" is mentioned by means that camera operation should not affect traffic flow.
Not only that, they were within 300 metres of the "bottom" of the gradient.

Wondered who got flashed, I know I'd be fighting it, as their spot was in contravention of their rules.
But considering it, they wouldn't have gotten anyone, as everyone was doing 20kph past them...jeez.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz

In my view, reading that document, quite clearly the camera operators infringed upon "Criteria 2" and "Criteria 3"
Quite particularly, "traffic flow" is mentioned by means that camera operation should not affect traffic flow.
Not only that, they were within 300 metres of the "bottom" of the gradient.
I think you should go back and read the article again, as they were not the ones interrupting the traffic flow. but as you said yourself in the 1st post it was the drivers slowing down,if they did the speed limit there would be no problem.

Secondly you should read the full definition of what is classed as an unsuitable gradient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz

Wondered who got flashed, I know I'd be fighting it, as their spot was in contravention of their rules.
But considering it, they wouldn't have gotten anyone, as everyone was doing 20kph past them...jeez.
Good luck challenging that.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The camera was probably also set contrary the manufacturers guidelines too.

But who could you possibly report it to? :(
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Its funny also when following cars going along the Citylink, they are going under the speed limit, but have to put their brakelights on and slow down even further when they go under a eTag gantry thinking there's a speed camera there also. GRRRR.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found this on the Vicroads website. Not sure if cameras are allowed to "park" in the emergency stopping lane but should be well off the freeway.

178 Stopping in an emergency stopping lane
A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not
stop in an emergency stopping lane unless the
condition of the driver, a passenger or the driver's
vehicle, or any other factor, makes it necessary or
desirable for the driver to stop in the emergency
stopping lane in the interests of safety, and the
driver stops for no longer than is necessary in the
circumstances.
Penalty: 2 penalty units.
Note
Bicycle and driver's vehicle are defined in the dictionary,
and emergency stopping lane is defined in rule 95.
r. 178
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Its funny also when following cars going along the Citylink, they are going under the speed limit, but have to put their brakelights on and slow down even further when they go under a eTag gantry thinking there's a speed camera there also. GRRRR.
Try driving East Link everyday! Many braking at the gantry's thinking the same then hit Wellington rd where everyone brakes again to 90 ..... Its annoying but more so it is dangerous.

I must admit to doing this too realizing I wasn't watching the speedo but very dangerously watching the traffic wondering if the person next to me with there indicator on "do they know I am here" ... then hitting the overpass, slamming the brakes on, then checking the speedo to see I am actually not speeding!

Don't know if the speed camera on the side of the Freeway is legal or not. I think they think they can park and do what ever ..... but they have fixed ones so I suppose they can? They can be dangerous but along as they are taking pics their happy.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Where abouts on the monash fwy were they sitting and what time?
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are regularly set up outbound between Princes Hwy & Pound Rd.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think you'll find they can set up where they like and when they like. All in the name of "carrying out their duty"

As for the "Mobile speed cameras as a general rule should not be used during peak traffic periods" the operative words here are "General rule" and "should not"

There's nothing to say that they are not allowed by law.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

Common sight on Frankston Freeway.

They're just asking to be hit by a wayward truck!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think you'll find they can set up where they like and when they like. All in the name of "carrying out their duty"

As for the "Mobile speed cameras as a general rule should not be used during peak traffic periods" the operative words here are "General rule" and "should not"

There's nothing to say that they are not allowed by law.
Err, no they can't ; there are very specific guidelines that they have to follow.
Too bad manual of procedures for camera use ( MOP, SOP ), and lidar for that matter, are not in the public domain. I've seen plenty of instances where egregious breaches of guidelines have occurred.

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

See ... that's the problem. No one in the public get to see the Manual of Procedure (if there is such a thing).

So how does it get policed ... it doesn't ... so in the end ... it comes down to as GasOLane mentioned ... it's not actual law we can chase up on. So in the end, camera cars can be set up anywhere ... literally.

If you are not speeding ... you have no need to be worried. I realise some people over-react and hit the anchors all the time ... but it also comes down to be a driver ... and watching out for everyone else on the road.

As for a camera car being on the freeway ... used to be a common sight all of the time ... luckily NSW haven't really used them in a while.

Not sure why they have them in Vic ... there's a fixed speed camera every 1km anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
XWGT