Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
It's TT who cares?

They will probably say it only happens to single mums who have agressive neighbours, hoons in the street and who marry con artists.... *Yawn*

And then hire dodgy builders....but remember its an epidemic.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #32
mitch

[QUOTE=Brazen]People should not be defending Ford about this, its disgusting. A captiva which wont start is no big deal, but a Territory which has its front suspension collpase in a carpark monevoures is bloody dangerous, what if this happened on the highway or a windy road? And ball joints needing replacing at 30,000km is a joke.

They should of done a recall. Period.

PS: I think Sinead is a female name not a male's.[/Q

Yeah your right Brazen its not really good enough,BUT there was a steering FAILURE fault with holden craptivas reported in the West Australian paper a few weeks ago, and in my humble opinion that is a big deal
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #33
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Talking Ball Joints aren’t meant to break in 500’000 k’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
OK golf clap to you old son,

next time I'll just scream woont some body think of the childern or the sky is falling,

I dont see any point in spending squillions on a recall for a hand full of cars thats suffer a problem if the owner gets their car serviced porperly they will show up before failure
Thanks for your input…I will follow your Posts and try to learn from you Mr Yoda. LOL.

'72 GS

Last edited by richa; 13-02-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: too nasty
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #34
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
People should not be defending Ford about this, its disgusting. A captiva which wont start is no big deal, but a Territory which has its front suspension collpase in a carpark monevoures is bloody dangerous, what if this happened on the highway or a windy road? And ball joints needing replacing at 30,000km is a joke.

They should of done a recall. Period.

PS: I think Sinead is a female name not a male's.

yeah you are right Brazen its not really good enough,BUT there was a steering FAILURE fault with holden craptivas reported in the West Australian paper a few weeks ago, and in my humble opinion that is a big deal

sorry about double post everyone will preview in future
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Type with caps, and get your point across better hey?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure you just got a major lemon. It's a shame but it does happen. My father's Territory has done 90,000ks and the only problem he has had is the drivers side window clip.

The point is its stupid to hate all new Fords because of one (or two, or three, or four) failures on a model which plenty of other people have had no troubles with.

Last edited by DJM83; 13-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

This crap stops right now
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hands up here who knows how many people have died from this fault?
Hands up who knows how many terri's have had ball joint failures?
Hands up here who's operated a car manufacturing company?
Hands up here who's designed their own ball joints?
Hands up here who thinks Ford make their own ball joints inhouse?

It's easy to say "ford should do a recall" but the logistics of it are not always that simple.
Facts are, if you service your car you won't have a problem, as they routinely inspect the ball joints at each service. Yes we can all get emotional but look at it in perspective, it's one car out of how many?

Yes the issue shouldn't have happened but look at it in scale. A handful of vehicles have had the balljoint fail and a handful of people have experienced suspension failure but as Sinead says, that's all at low speed (rack on full lock).

Want to know who has bad suspension failures and no recall to date? Try Mercedes Benz with their W220 and V220 S class. Pump failure for the hydraulic suspension sees one side of the car completely collapse, bounce on the road and an uncontrollable yaw which sees you sideswipe whatever is next to you. (In my case an armco barrier on the M4). 6 years on, still no recall.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #39
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
I'm sure you just got a major lemon. It's a shame but it does happen. My father's Territory has done 90,000ks and the only problem he has had is the drivers side window clip.

The point is its stupid to hate all new Fords because of one (or two, or three, or four) failures on a model which plenty of other people have had no troubles with.
Your right it is a lemon but it is quite dis-heartining when you borrow $40,000 to buy a car and get this amount of problems .
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau jaybie
Your right it is a lemon but it is quite dis-heartining when you borrow $40,000 to buy a car and get this amount of problems .
Mate, where did you buy it from and where do you get it serviced?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your probably right in most of your post LTD, except for the services bit , i think many people would`nt be looking for ball joint were at normal oilchange /grease ntervals, on the other hand ,i think to myself how many people with or without knowing actually exceed vehicles design limits in one way or another.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #42
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

It's easy to say "ford should do a recall" but the logistics of it are not always that simple.
Facts are, if you service your car you won't have a problem, as they routinely inspect the ball joints at each service. Yes we can all get emotional but look at it in perspective, it's one car out of how many?

Yes the issue shouldn't have happened but look at it in scale. A handful of vehicles have had the balljoint fail and a handful of people have experienced suspension failure but as Sinead says, that's all at low speed (rack on full lock).

Want to know who has bad suspension failures and no recall to date? Try Mercedes Benz with their W220 and V220 S class. Pump failure for the hydraulic suspension sees one side of the car completely collapse, bounce on the road and an uncontrollable yaw which sees you sideswipe whatever is next to you. (In my case an armco barrier on the M4). 6 years on, still no recall.
exactly finaly some one who thinks

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
your probably right in most of your post LTD, except for the services bit , i think many people would`nt be looking for ball joint were at normal oilchange /grease ntervals, on the other hand ,i think to myself how many people with or without knowing actually exceed vehicles design limits in one way or another.
They would be if it were a common problem like the ball joints in the Terri
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #44
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

Exactly Right, Yes only a handful of cars have had it and even less have failed, so really as long as each and every service department is keeping a close eye on any terry that that come across thats all that really matters. if the owners choose not to get their services done properly thats their own fault.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
They would be if it were a common problem like the ball joints in the Terri
A service is more than a greese and oil change, check the log book it spasificaly says check suspencion for signs of ware / damage

Old 13-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #46
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

so when do the new diesel etc come into the terry's?
Old 13-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
A service is more than a greese and oil change, check the log book it spasificaly says check suspencion for signs of ware / damage
Yeah mate im aware of that but in this case (faulty ball joints in a certain model) id say they would be onto it, well you'd like to think so.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #48
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
so when do the new diesel etc come into the terry's?
OT but http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283445
Old 13-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #49
carrot13

that today tonight story was weak, Ford will be very happy with that & if more is not made public this will all blow over in a few days..

the crux of the issue that TT missed totally is this-

1. Ford totally redesigned the front suspension on the 2009 models....(i wonder why..)

2. All models made before that are a flawed/unsafe design which is very hard on the balljoints.

Also because of point 2. wheels etc fall off the SYI Territories & as kays mount up and years go by i think this issue will get worse.

good luck people
Old 13-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #50
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was unusual that they were under the impression that the ball joints were fixed with SY models.

Shows how credible their sources are :
Old 14-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #51
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau jaybie
So whose to fault if you've borrowed on it ???
Especially that much ??

Some people need to look in the mirror....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #52
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont worry I jsut saw the today tonight ad it seems its over charging mechanics this week

Old 15-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #53
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Valid point but whats the % thats failing, mines doen 95,000 and they are still fine never had a problem? if a hand full fail at 30,000 its no big dea land hardly warrants a recall, and if the majority are being picked up at PM servicing theres no issue IMHO, if however the cars that are havign faling issues as in colaping arnt having regular servicing inline with the log books or the dealer servicing is checking thats a compleate other issue
Having your car serviced by Ford is not a requirement of ownership and is a dodgy and ineffective means of identifying and affecting repairs on thousands of cars, because thousands more will not ever be seen by Ford. A recall should be issued and all effort made to contact owners of vehicles.

Nothing else is satisfactory.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Having your car serviced by Ford is not a requirement of ownership and is a dodgy and ineffective means of identifying and affecting repairs on thousands of cars, because thousands more will not ever be seen by Ford. A recall should be issued and all effort made to contact owners of vehicles.

The legal onus is on the owner to keep the vehicle properly maintained and if
ball joints are wearing, they need to be replaced but the question is how often?
Only through regular servicing and safety checks can that be determined.
You'd probably find of the darned things had grease nipples in them wear would
be reduced heaps....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The legal onus is on the owner to keep the vehicle properly maintained and if
ball joints are wearing, they need to be replaced but the question is how often?
Only through regular servicing and safety checks can that be determined.
You'd probably find of the darned things had grease nipples in them wear would
be reduced heaps....
This is where Ford stuffed up, by not putting them in.
But I agree if the car is properly maintained then these problems should be able to found and fixed before failure. But I guess its better to just have a sook on a forum.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #56
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8

no one said it had to be, even bill smiths repair shop can carry out a log book service, who said it had to be ford serivce, if the balljoints test faulty at a service take it to ford

no ford service dpt required