Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Axle Tramp???

Hi guys, not too sure what it is. Just have had my car (AU wagon) converted to manual. When i take of a fair bit quicker than normal it feels like the rear of the car is bouncing up and down and there is a bit of a thumping noise.

Is this axle tramp??
If so does anyone else get it in their wagons or utes?? And how can it be fixed. I will be fitting rear leaaf springs with and extra leaf and lowered more so in the next few weeks. Other than that everything should be in good nick.

Thanks, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Pretty sure axle tramp is when you launch hard with IRS, and the wheels bounce at odd times (syncopated) with each other, happens with a bit of wheelspin, thus creating the rabbit feel in the back of the car.

What your talking about, and I assume you mean at a decent speed (near the limiter) would probably be the tailshaft about to snap and embed itself to the undercarriage of your wagon.

Mine does it around 160 (at the drags), get a violent shake in the rear end, this would be around 210km/h if I was using 3.08 diff gears.
Old 22-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

You don't need IRS for axle tramp, believe you me. I tell ya, you'll friggin bloody well know when you have axle tramp, and it ain't much fun. It mainly happens with leaf springs, and it'll mainly happen only in first gear, and it'll mainly happen when you're trying to drop a nice smooth burnout and all you get is this blasted hopping from the rear wheels jumping and the bloody springs not being able to keep the tyres to the road, it's really, really annoying. However it is not limited to leaf springs as I have seen an LS1 VX commodore do it.

Now axle tramp can be fixed. There are a number of different ways to go about it, and i most certainly don't know them all. The AU's leaf pack is not terribly strong, and can be replaced with a stronger unit. This is probably what will help the most. You can also get/make anti-tramp bars that limit the flex of the leaf, apparently that's the way to go. Other than that you can look at different tyres (traction) or different wheels (unsprung weight). Now i don't really know the maths on it all but if it is axle tramp, you've got a bloody annoying problem that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

/edit: sorry about getting a bit worked up, once you've had a car with seemingly incurable axle tramp, you kinda have a big hatred for it.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 22-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

And as the OP said, it happens when he is going fast, not taking off, so its NOT axle tramp. And thanks for correcting me, I assumed it would be the same for leaf springs, seeing as they are completely independent from the other side, hence having the same problem. You wont get this with a live rear.
Old 22-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
And as the OP said, it happens when he is going fast, not taking off, so its NOT axle tramp. And thanks for correcting me, I assumed it would be the same for leaf springs, seeing as they are completely independent from the other side, hence having the same problem. You wont get this with a live rear.
you can, and do get it with some live rear cars
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

How do you get it with live rear? Just wanting to learn is all?
Old 22-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

the OP says he gets it when taking off quickly. and Yes Leaf sprung vehicles are more prone to it.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Axle tramp is definately a problem in live axle cars as much as it is in IRS cars. As Monty has said, it is caused by the tyre slipping and then gripping under hard acceleration which causes the diff to effectively"bounce" up and down as the suspension tries to overcome the loss of traction and the engine power tries to overcome the grip. It is all related to excess movement between components.
Most of the time, the tramp problem can be relieved by replacing all rear suspension bushes with new rubbber, or preferably nolathane and new shocks. In higher powered/modified cars with bigger, stickier tyres, bushes and shocks alone may not cure the tramp and will require tramp rods to stop the wind up of the spring pack.
This is the problem as I understand it and have overcome it.
I think you should post this in the Fulcrum Suspension or Pedders area for an expert explanation.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

The simplest fix is a decent set of shocks. If your car has only started doing it since you changed to manual it indicates the tramp isn't bad (or it would have been present before). Shocks should fix it.

Driving style also has a lot to do with it - dropping the clutch will exacerbate the problem and may even be the sole cause of it. Get some good preferably adjustable shocks (Konis) and practice a more gentle clutch release. Even worn tyres can be another cause. And, depending on power even new tyres aren't in themselves going to stop it.

If the problem persists fitting an LSD will help (if the car doesn't have one already).

PS Fitting stiffer springs will worsen the problem. If your shocks aren't controlling spring rebound/windup now, then they certainly won't handle stiffer springs.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
the OP says he gets it when taking off quickly. and Yes Leaf sprung vehicles are more prone to it.

Well, that was another epic fail by me by not reading the opening post properly, thanks for setting me straight.... (slinks off to cook tea)...
Old 22-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok guys i think it is fair to say it is axle tramp. I will be fitting in the next couple of weeks a different set of springs (standard + 1 extra leaf) Along with this i already have nolathane bushes to replace everything except the eyes at the front of the spring (front mount point).

Quote:
If the problem persists fitting an LSD will help (if the car doesn't have one already).
Also, i will be putting in my lsd (stock rebuilt about 5000k's ago).

Quote:
Driving style also has a lot to do with it - dropping the clutch will exacerbate the problem and may even be the sole cause of it. Get some good preferably adjustable shocks (Konis) and practice a more gentle clutch release. Even worn tyres can be another cause. And, depending on power even new tyres aren't in themselves going to stop it.
I have 18x8's all around and the tyres are only about 3000k old (Tons of tread left). It has pedders sports shocks in it and they are about 50,000km old i think. As for driving style i have only had the manual fitted for a couple of days and i was just seeing how it would help me get off the line. (Just having a bit of a play)

I think i am due for a trip to my local pedders to see what the bloke there has to say. And thanks for the info everyone.

Toy Car Build
Old 23-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

yeah its axle tramp i get plenty in my ute(manual). i still get it after doing pedders lowest leaves, nolathane eye bushes, munroe gt sport shocks and sway bar kit and it and thats with a 215 -60 tyre and also with 285-35. so my next step is cal tracs or true tracs but they're not cheap around $700 so if your keeping your wagon and or uping the power i would go for a set they should knock it on the head pretty quick.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #13
T3man
Banned

Pedders shocks (mostly) are garbage - sorry but it's true - get some decent shocks and you'll notice the difference straight up.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What your talking about, and I assume you mean at a decent speed (near the limiter) would probably be the tailshaft about to snap and embed itself to the undercarriage of your wagon.

Mine does it around 160 (at the drags), get a violent shake in the rear end, this would be around 210km/h if I was using 3.08 diff gears.
wow that sounds dangerous
i suppose my car with 3.9s would do the same? should i look out for this?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Keep an eye on it. AU's are limited as the tail shaft is ultra long and around the 180km/h mark, can get vibrating and break (and yes, it does happen). When we put the 3.9's on this brings down that speed to around 136-140.
Old 23-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Check drive shaft ballance ?? It MAY have been put back on off centre ??
If it's an alloy shaft ?? Check for dents, any weights that may have come off...
Oh any shaft for dents for that matter..
Check uni joints also??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

I deffinately need to get mine balanced. Anyone know of anywhere in Brisbane?
Old 23-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brisbane drive line services, 56 Colebard St East, Archerfield.

They did my custom tailshaft for my corona a few years ago. I didn't have any problems at all with vibrations. They made the shaft up from measurements i gave them and it was a perfect fit.
Old 23-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I deffinately need to get mine balanced. Anyone know of anywhere in Brisbane?
My bro-in-law had his done at Brisbane Driveshaft Balancing at Brendale.

He was happy with the results.

Actually, I might get mine balanced before our Cairns trip in April. I've got a bit of a vibe through the seat so it won't hurt to rule out the tailshaft.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

off topic post kinda but of the 3 cars I've had that have had alloy tailshafts AU2 XR8 ute, EB2 XR8 sedan and AU1 XR6 sedan not one of them has suffered from the tailshaft looping people talk about. All three cars saw 200kph plus on numerous occasions.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Check drive shaft ballance ?? It MAY have been put back on off centre ??
If it's an alloy shaft ?? Check for dents, any weights that may have come off...
Oh any shaft for dents for that matter..
Check uni joints also??
I had to have a custom made steel driveshaft as the auto one was too long and being alloy no one wanted to shorten it. However, i don't think that it is all that well balanced.

Rhys

Toy Car Build