Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
'Pot calling the kettle black' saying that on this thread.
I know caffeine is not as bad as the rubbish some truckies might take

I hardly think it is a "pot calling kettle black" situation, to suggest that is actually quite insulting.

I guess maybe I should fix my ways and drink less caffeine, this may make the duration of shifts such as yesterday (12 hrs + 2 hrs OT) pretty hard, especially driving back home at 1 am. Unfortunately, the expectations of society and the pressures they place on the health system, often requires doctors, nurses, paramedics etc to push themselves very hard, often too hard. It has been statistically demonstrated that someone working a 24hr rotating roster as a paramedic actually suffers a 5-10 year reduction in life span when compared to the general population.

Anyway, that is enough of that, I need to finish my coffee so I can wake up and go back to work for another 12 hr shift after 5 1/2 hrs sleep.

At least we don't use amphetamines.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@geckoGT,some ppl should try walking a mile in others shoes first before they start with the 'pot/kettle'routine. Stay safe.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

from what i've heard about the 'stayng awake' stuff that gets used, while its in your system it works, the problem is when it starts to wear off there is a real sharp drop off, due to the body being forced to 'stay awake' longer than it should.

combine this with the fact that a lot of new trucks have cruise control (some have it disabled or get it disabled) and it is easy to see how these accidents get so messy. driver falling asleep with a vehicle speed being controlled by computer...

i must add a disclaimer though, i am not in the industry and although my father and brother are (drivers) my info may not always be that accurate regarding the industry. if you are curious about the industry there is a 'truck thread' at the top of this section of the forum.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #34
belvo

the whole of australias legal system is a sham a man got 9 years for killing a cat but some one that drives drunk and kills some hes not to blame and will only get 5 years or some joke of a sentence
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #35
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
thats real inteligent ? we drive drunks around all the time ( my partner both drive cabs) and we often need to pull over to let them spew it is not illegal to do so and I chalenge you to put up with crap we do. if they throw up the smell stays in the cab for weeks no matter what we use to clean up
maybe the publican who got the passenger so drunk ( what happened to responsible service of alcohol) is partly responsible but not the cabbie who pulled over so a drunk could spew after drinking too much. If you are calling this driver stupid you are calling me stupid as i often pull over for drunks to spew
yeah but it is illegal to do whatever you feel like ,which is usually the way of the cab driver. and then I have to put up with these tools and the way they drive. and if it makes any difference one of best mates is a owner/operator and if you choose to drive drunks around then so be it, thats your decision, you dont need to endanger other peoples lives by doing so. you may be a good driver, my cabbie mate is a reasonable driver,but the majority drive like tools. you are wasting your time sticking up for them if you are a good driver and I,m sure you know what I mean. Basiclly I rarely see a cab driver do the right thing ,no blinkers when pulling over or turning or changing lanes ,pull up where ever you feel like it even if it means 90 percent change of causing a accident. u turn over double yellow ,like the tool I saw this morning in the city for an example- does a u turn over double yellow right in front of somebody, they honk the horn and then the scum sticks his finger up at them. I could go on but just could not be bothered and would probably be here all day.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #36
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I hardly think it is a "pot calling kettle black" situation, to suggest that is actually quite insulting.

I guess maybe I should fix my ways and drink less caffeine, this may make the duration of shifts such as yesterday (12 hrs + 2 hrs OT) pretty hard, especially driving back home at 1 am. Unfortunately, the expectations of society and the pressures they place on the health system, often requires doctors, nurses, paramedics etc to push themselves very hard, often too hard. It has been statistically demonstrated that someone working a 24hr rotating roster as a paramedic actually suffers a 5-10 year reduction in life span when compared to the general population.

Anyway, that is enough of that, I need to finish my coffee so I can wake up and go back to work for another 12 hr shift after 5 1/2 hrs sleep.

At least we don't use amphetamines.
I wasn't meaning to insult you, if I did ,I apologise. I was just making a remark aimed at the lots of occupations that can have deadly results if they are not 100%. I do not support that scumbag truckie, but I was trying to make a point that the Health system and truck industry, are some what similar, in that they can have long hours and by the end of the shift they might not be 100%. A truckie would not be able to do the hours some health workers do, legally, but both occupations can have deadly results if fatigued.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
I wasn't meaning to insult you, if I did ,I apologise. I was just making a remark aimed at the lots of occupations that can have deadly results if they are not 100%. I do not support that scumbag truckie, but I was trying to make a point that the Health system and truck industry, are some what similar, in that they can have long hours and by the end of the shift they might not be 100%. A truckie would not be able to do the hours some health workers do, legally, but both occupations can have deadly results if fatigued.

Absolutely good point and worded much better, thank you.

It is amazing that public opinion is so against driver fatigue in truckies, yet they do not bat an eye lid at paramedics spending 14 hours on shift, driving emergency vehicles and having to make life saving decision whilst exhausted.

But that is another topic that is outside the scope of this discussion so best left alone.