Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Bodizephr
AnArChIst

Default Geelong Bypass

All of you local to geelong would know of our wonderful new addition, the geelong bypass or ring road. I have two questions about this road:

1) What mentally retarded individual decided that visitors to our fair city or passers by, should remember geelong by 12ft pieces of brightly coloured perspex? Is this meant to be geelongs answer to melbournes yella-peril?

2) How is it that after less than 12 months of operation, the ring road is undergoing MAJOR resurfacing works? Surely after they had to dig it up once already since sealing it because they were penny pinching, the man signing the cheques would have said, "you know what, just do it right!". How did we get into this position?

I6 Assassin
Bodizephr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

1) It is puke worthy

2) Cheap unskilled labour would be my guess

Im going to be shattered when they get around to speed cameras along that new stretch. You feel so free once you go past Nth geelong.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Those coloured perspex bits bewildered me as well, horrible.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember they were saying they would put down a "spray surface" instead of hotmix as it would save some cash?..... I thought it was a dumb idea at the time too!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

The coloured perspex looks real bad.

I was thinking the same thing about the re-surfacing. Does the council/government have cash to splurge?
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was all to do with the politics behind the Federal road grants from the previous Fed government and the state govenrment.

Feds offered money and the state wouldn't take it on their terms, so went cheap and funded it themselves from what I gather.

It's a great piece of road. Anthing that keeps you out of Geelong itself can't be bad. Having grown up in the region, and my family still being there (Drysdale), I detest having to go through it at any time, particularly since every time I do there seems to be a new set of lights in the place. The changes to traffic conditions in central Geelong are retrograde for those wanting to go to the peninsula. I'ts gonna be nutso in summer.

I think they are aiming for one set of traffic lights per head of population soon.

Geelong. The best thing about it is watching it get smaller in your rear view mirror.
Old 23-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ring road doesnt help people on the bellarine, thats true, however it sure has cleared up a lot of traffic on the old highway so it helps in this way.

Just wish they would sequence the lights instead of slowing down the through traffic by making them catch every set!!

My pet hate is lights that change when no ones there, and give green lights to pedestrians when theres none! Why!!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Council - Not enough time to do it right, always time to do it again!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Road is getting resurfaced as it was a winter coat and the hot weather had stripped the top surface, the resurfacing was put forward a month thats why it is getting done atm.
Many of your questions have been answered in the Geelong Advertiser, grab a copy sometime
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Bodizephr
AnArChIst

bARNSY - the addy may have answered that, except it doesnt answer how the city of greater geelong has allowed a road to be put down that is requireing this kind fo work, mearly 12 months after opening? Have they never built a road in geelong? Unsure of what surface to put on it? I have lived on settlement road for nearlly 2 years and it hasnt needed re-surfacing due to "hot weather stripping the winter coat off". WTF is a winter coat neway? Besides the ring road was opened to waurn ponds in decemeber last year was it not? Why would you put a winter coat on a road opening at the start of summer.

Sounds like a load of hogwash, coated in a thin layer of male bovine excrement. Oh thats right you said it came from the addy. Thought it smelt bad.

I6 Assassin
Bodizephr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give Vic Roads a call I am sure they will be more than happy to address your concerns.

The issue I have about the Geelong bypass is when are they going to upgrade the back roads like Mt Duneed Rd, Boundary Rd and Whites Rd, the roads are a mess with the sudden increase on traffic. I am just glad I finished up uni before all the roadworks in Waurn Ponds.
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The current surface was only temporary, so the road could be opened sooner. Apparently the permanent surface can only be layed in summer, and if the temporary surface was not used the road would have been kept closed until the permanent surface could be layed, so now that summer has come around they will rip the old surface up and lay the new one.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post