Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
vic is different.
It is different, but it is still illegal as it must be secured and covered. If you disagree go do it and ask the next Police Officer that pulls you over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOASTED
Still full of optimism and friendliness webby... Theyre are a bunch of ways to run a Mandrel intake with a pod without sucking hot air (use ur enginuity). Mine is off Bruce Heinrichs old race car and looks relatively the same as the difillipo (but better!) (go brucey) and bruce has been unstoppable in the Aus Saloon car series. Surely if the set up was that bad he wouldnt have used it and would have found a better way of making a CAI.

Cheers
Craig
Unless you have it heat shielded it will suck in the hot air from the engine bay, there's no two ways about that. Comparing a race car to a street car also doesn't quite work here, how often does a track car sit in traffic or bumble along at low speeds? Of course on a track car that is constantly running at speed cold air is going to constantly be coming in to the pod, this is not the case on a road car.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #32
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

Yep this is true. I have mine heat shielded using a piece of bent aluminium and some foamy/tin caoted stuff. i still wanna/going to box the pod in tho using the current intake. this prevents most of the hot air. i also heard that unless the pod is the type that uses an oil coating (not sure of finer details) it is legal to have it exposed. in QLD anyways.

edit: i aslo live in a country town so traffic lights/excessive traffic are non existant.

Cheers
Craig

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #33
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It is different, but it is still illegal as it must be secured and covered. If you disagree go do it and ask the next Police Officer that pulls you over.

Unless you have it heat shielded it will suck in the hot air from the engine bay, there's no two ways about that. Comparing a race car to a street car also doesn't quite work here, how often does a track car sit in traffic or bumble along at low speeds? Of course on a track car that is constantly running at speed cold air is going to constantly be coming in to the pod, this is not the case on a road car.
Thank you sums, it up nicely.

I have been defected for having an un enclosed pod, have also knocked cars on roadworthys for having unenclosed pod filters to

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #34
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

read vicroads rules.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #35
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

pretty sure as long as its secured. it doesnt have to be covered. your only allowed to modify ONE aspect of your intake. be it pod filter, FMIC, manifold, etc.

which is why ricers get done. BOV,FMIC,PIPING,POD. more than one thing. this is for victoria.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 15-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yeah it something like that

You can have an intercooler or pod but not both

And yeah an intercooler only legal if you dont cut the body to fit it

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
pretty sure as long as its secured. it doesnt have to be covered. your only allowed to modify ONE aspect of your intake. be it pod filter, FMIC, manifold, etc.

which is why ricers get done. BOV,FMIC,PIPING,POD. more than one thing. this is for victoria.
I'm just trying to find out the exact wording on the Vicroads website but having no luck.

Interestingly I've found that the 100mm rule for underbody height isn't exactly so.
Old 15-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #38
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

3/4 bump stop travel is the over rule
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
3/4 bump stop travel is the over rule
I found a specific formula that they use, nothing to do with bump stop travel.
Old 15-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

3/4 manufacturers original suspension travel.

Old 16-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
3/4 manufacturers original suspension travel.
Nope, "A vehicle may be lowered or raised provided the clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not altered by more than 1/3 of that specified by the manufacturer."

As for ground clearance "The ground clearanceof a vehicle measured from a horizontal road surface to any point on the underside of the vehicle except the tyres, wheels, wheel hubs and brake backing plates shall, with the vehicle in its loaded state as specified by the manufacturer be not less than:
  • for any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any axle, 100mm;
  • for the mid-point between any two consecutive axles, the dimension in millimetres obtained by multiplying the distance in metres between those two axles by 33.33."
So there is no "one size fits all" approach as some here would like to try to tell us. Hope this clears up any confusion and whilst it is off topic it is handy info.
Old 16-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #42
MAD
Petro-sexual

They've had a bit of an update. It used to just say 100mm 1m fore and aft of any axle.

Have you got a link to the document?
Old 16-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #43
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Here it is
Old 16-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #44
MAD
Petro-sexual

That's really odd, I've read that document quite a few times before and it seems I have always misread it.
Old 16-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
That's really odd, I've read that document quite a few times before and it seems I have always misread it.
If you work it out for a Falcon's wheelbase it means that where the mid measurement can be taken you can actually be below 100mm.

Handy for me!
Old 16-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

See now thats probably why I have always misread it. That is just stupid to allow the car to be lower in the middle than it can be right next to the wheel.
I get 93mm clearance required in the middle for an EL.
Old 17-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #47
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Nope, "A vehicle may be lowered or raised provided the clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not altered by more than 1/3 of that specified by the manufacturer."

As for ground clearance "The ground clearanceof a vehicle measured from a horizontal road surface to any point on the underside of the vehicle except the tyres, wheels, wheel hubs and brake backing plates shall, with the vehicle in its loaded state as specified by the manufacturer be not less than:
  • for any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any axle, 100mm;
  • for the mid-point between any two consecutive axles, the dimension in millimetres obtained by multiplying the distance in metres between those two axles by 33.33."
So there is no "one size fits all" approach as some here would like to try to tell us. Hope this clears up any confusion and whilst it is off topic it is handy info.
sorry. yeah i mean 2/3 manufacturers travel. not 3/4.