Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Paypal. Who uses it?

Guys

I have sold some stuff via Ebay and the buyer wants to use Paypal to pay. I havent used it before so Im wondering if it's ok to use (I know how to set it up, just never done it), and the buyer has also asked for the email address that i use to sign up cos apparently this is how you organise payment. Does this sound correct?

Sorry for the newbie q's, but it is a significant amount of money and I want to make sure it all works out ok.

Old 23-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Paypal is the payment method of choice these days for eBay (don't eBay own it...?) I've conducted a number of successful transactions over it and have no issue using it.

Sounds dubious about them wanting your email address though, you log into Paypal, transact the amount and it's credited to their account. There's absolutely no need for them to know what your paypal login is which would ring alarm bells for me.

Paypal need to do a verification and it obviously requires you furnish them with your account details which they do a test credit and debit on to make sure it works, then you're all set.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I use it Aust, not often, however it works and haven't had any trouble with it so far.
You link it to a bank account and an email address.
However when you require funds for payments or you receive funds from a sale you can use paypal to transfer monies back and forth between your bank acct and paypal acct.
Pretty simple....when ever there is a change to your paypal account via a sale you are notified by email.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if you're a seller you have to pay a premium to PayPal. I've used it tons of time to buy stuff without any probs.
Old 23-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I use Paypal. All the guy who is paying you needs to do, is login to his paypal account, put in your item number for the item you sold...Paypal will then step him through the rest.

I have had someone ask for an email address before and I just told them to use the ebay item number and payment went through.
Old 23-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

If you have recently sold stuff on ebay, my understanding is you need a paypal account in order to do so?

I use paypal alot to buy, I haven't had any hassles.
The only thing I don't like about accepting paypal as payment through ebay are the fees.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
xygt01
XY GT (ROD)

yes thats right the pay pall payment addres is your pay pal email addy that you set it up with no issues there i use it almost every day for work
Old 24-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Never heard of using the eBay auction # for it.. but then I rarely use it for eBay. (My PayPal account).

Usually they enter your email address you signed up with to send the payment.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used PayPal on many occasions to purchase.
Never lets me down.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Guys

I have sold some stuff via Ebay and the buyer wants to use Paypal to pay. I havent used it before so Im wondering if it's ok to use (I know how to set it up, just never done it), and the buyer has also asked for the email address that i use to sign up cos apparently this is how you organise payment. Does this sound correct?

Sorry for the newbie q's, but it is a significant amount of money and I want to make sure it all works out ok.
I went through this crap.

If the BUYER chooses to pay with paypal the SELLER is footed an extra bill, it's ebay's (the 21st century oil tycoon) way of double dipping.

In my ads I used to put "Buyer to pay all seller fees associated with paypal if paying through paypal". Eventually ebay removed my ads.
Despite it being illegal by Australian law to disregard the seller the right of putting such a message in any form of advertisement. They're above the law.
Old 24-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is ebays way of stealing more $ off you and they won't allow you to add the fees to the transaction so I inflate P&H and offer a P&H discount for bank deposit so as not to breach their rules. this encourages most to avoid ebays theiving payment method

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

PayPals a good hassle free service but the fees for the seller are a bit steep.

I always discouraged buyers within Aus from using it but some just do anyway. For situations where the buyer is O/S it's the only way to go.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I can pay via Paypal and the transaction is over within a minute of the auction completing. Dont have to worry about transfer times etc yadda yadda....

Quite like it as a buyer.

If you dont have a Paypal a/c linked to your EBay account, the buyer is correct in asking for the recipient address.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used it pretty often, never an issue.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Guys

I have used Paypal many times to pay for, and receive payment from others for numerous items. If you are a seller, they do take a small percentage of the sale price as a fee (bastards), but it is still the safest way to do business via eBay - especially when dealing with people overseas!

Paypal is now complusory to have as a payment option for eBay sellers.

When somebody pays you via Paypal, they just log in to their own account, and the money is sent to your Paypal account via your email address (your bank details are linked to your email address- note: Paypal and eBay keep this info secure, nobody else needs to know after all!)

A prospective buyer does not need to know your Paypal account details - the whole transaction is facilitated via eBay, it automatically sends his $$$ to you without him having to type ur email address in.

So probably best just to tell him to follow the 'Checkout' procedure as per normal through eBay! You will receive an email from Paypal when the user has paid - if it's via C/Card, it will go through instantly, otherwise it may ask you to confirm the transaction, then it usually takes around 3 business days to clear before the funds are accessible from your own Paypal account.

Hope this helps!

PS. As a couple of others have mentioned, if your Paypal account is not linked to your eBay account, then yeah you will need to give the buyer the email address of your Paypal account....

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 24-08-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use it as a buyer but from what I've seen for those selling the fees can be considered high buts thats for you to consider. As a buyer you can have the payment finalised within 30 secs its that easy. I have also paid direct payment into a bank account. The seller sends their bank details, which isnt uncommon considering it sounds unsafe, and the buyer transfers the money directly into that account. If you are doing a once off you will need to weigh up the cost of the paypal fees up against the direct deposit system. The direct payment system also requires you to be vigilant as to who is putting what into your account for what item if you are selling lots of items rather than one. If by some chance there is a refund required again it can go directly into a paypal account for use at a later date. Happy selling Austin.
Old 24-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

It's completely fine for someone to ask for your email address, assuming you have an account LOL

okay sellers, here's some things to do....

1. Offer a discount in postage if someone pays via bank deposit

2. Advise payments thru Paypal will result in a delayed postage time due to the funds being required to be CLEARED from the paypal account into your bank account PRIOR to disbatching the item.

number 2 always worked a charm for me!

even number 1 is good for some people...

and sincerest apologies if I highjacked the thread, it seemed as tho most sellers have the same problems I used to!
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I have used it, its not my first preference but it is safe. What you need to be careful of is phisihng emails stating they are from paypal and try to get you to log in. If you ever get one of these emails that appear legit, do not use the link in the email, type the paypal address in the address bar yourself so you are sure you are going to the paypal site and not a key logging site trying to steal your password.
Old 25-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
Hitman
Way over here

Paypal is fine, but whatever you do, don't send the goods until the money has been cleared into your bank account.
I had an issue a while ago, the buyer took forever to pay, was about 10 days from memory, anyway, long story short, he paid on the 21st of the month and then lodged an item not received on the 22nd and then contacted paypal who put a freeze on the funds for about 30 days from memory. Luckily I hadnt sent the item yet. So yeah, be careful.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
marquis 78

I despise PAYPAL. Ebay owns paypal and as far as I'm concerned, that's anti competition laws gone haywire. Ebay makes it hard for the seller to sell via net banking or cash on pickup. They even change your settings to hide your bank acc details in favour of paypal. They are thieves and it's morally wrong imo. As a buyer it's ok but at the end of the day, if the item gets lost in the post ya back to square one anyway. I state that if the buyer don't like paypal don't bid. Some fools still do though. My selling on ebay is coming to an end because of the monopoly. Do a google search on paypay ebay etc. You will not like the outcome. Are your bank account details safe in the hands of these organisations?
marquis 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
BA Baracus
xls

99.9% of the time paypal works fine but it's not totally without drama. There's been issues in the past with paypal freezing accounts and holding funds like Hitman had happen. They can flag and lock down an account for long periods (on suspicion of fraud) at their discretion and their TOS can keep you on your toes. In 2004 they were involved in a class action law suit around locking peoples accounts in the US and paid out a $9.25 million settlment..

http://www.girardgibbs.com/paypal.asp

There's also a fair few sites and forums around the net dedicated to paypal complaints..

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/
http://www.paypalsucks.com/
http://www.paypalwarning.com/
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I have used PayPal on many occasions to purchase.
Never lets me down.
Same ... makes transactions a breeze.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #23
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
It's completely fine for someone to ask for your email address, assuming you have an account LOL

okay sellers, here's some things to do....

1. Offer a discount in postage if someone pays via bank deposit

2. Advise payments thru Paypal will result in a delayed postage time due to the funds being required to be CLEARED from the paypal account into your bank account PRIOR to disbatching the item.

number 2 always worked a charm for me!

even number 1 is good for some people...

and sincerest apologies if I highjacked the thread, it seemed as tho most sellers have the same problems I used to!
LOL, thought I was the only one that did that! Unfortunately no2, is not understood well by some buyers and they give you a bad postage time rating regardless.

Paypal is generally ok for the buyer, but as others have mentioned its basically double dipping from ebay for the seller, paypal charges the seller another 2% commission, and then charge another $2 to withdraw it from your account if the balance is less than $150.

Unfortunately some buyers dont understand that it often takes another 4-5 days for paypal to transfer the money to your bank account, and why is that?

Every person that has paid me by direct deposit/internet banking, their fund's clear inside 48 hours no matter what bank they are using, so why does one of the biggest 'banks' in the world take four days?

The answer: they are making interest of the money, think of all the paypal accounts across the world with a balance of less than $150 and the interest they can get on those per year + delaying clearance of $3-400 for four days on every transfer to a bank account, it is huge money!

Something else to keep in mind, paypal is not a registered business in australia or more importantly not a registered bank/credit institution. If they decide to disappear with your money that is it, its gone. Another reason not to post any goods until you have the money from paypal.

Really it is buyers who pay money into paypal that are taking the big risk, one hopes that ebay and paypal are raking in such large profits that there is no need to disappear.

Last edited by torbirdie; 26-08-2009 at 03:54 AM.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hated paypal before using it, never really knowing what or how it operated, bit like everyone who hates vista cant give me 1 single reason..... now putting aside that i get charged to receive money and to put in my bank account, ill use it all the time

the day something goes wrong, i dont care if the other persons bank account is empty I WILL GET MY MONEY BACK

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #25
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Paypal is another way to rip off people that ebay found. Ebay owns paypal.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post