Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Default Buying a car trailer

Hi all.. Looking at buying a trailer to carry around a x series falcon, just wondering what i should look out for if any 1 has any tips?? Also how much on average does rego cost per year for these things and do u take out insurance on the trailer to? Any help would be great

VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check your local motor rego for the registration costs. Here in SA it's about $60 a year for a 6x4. Prices vary from state to state, so check with your local state transport authority.
Insurance is another thing. I know that our trailer is covered by the car insurance, up to a certain value. Different insurance companies would have different policies, so best ask them what would be covered.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

My car railer is about $180 a year and needs a pinkslip. Unless it has break-away brakes then the max GVM is 2000kg, so get one as light as possible so you can remain legal, so if your x series weighs 1400kg, then the trailer can be no more than 600kg. 600-650 is an average weight, alloy rims will drop the weight a fair bit.
Then make sure your tow car is legal. Used to be a sedan could tow 1.5 times its own weight and a ute was up to the same gvm as the ute. I would check that with the rta.

Also, if your car has 4 wheels it must have 4 tie down points to secure it to the trailer. This is only a recent change

I would get one with at least a hand winch and some light weight ramps.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Thanks for that guys! Will be pulling it with a el wagon so should not be a problem with towing... Il go and check a few out and see what comes up....
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post