Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
GEZZA93

Default warning to msn users

here is what happened to me.

i have been useing msn messenger for years now and i just have been hacked through it. what happened is some smart person decided to get my email addy and used it to get my password and to use my msn account to casue havic for my mates. the person then was sending viruses through my msn to friends. then got more keen and hacked into my computer files reading all my messages removing my 2000 plus songs and my 8000 plus photos and removing all of my school home work that i have been working on for my hsc making me loose marks. followed bye useing my internet and going into web sites and getting me viruses and causing my computer to crash with a message haha on my desktop screen.

how i found out about the hacker

was through friends telling me i have been sending weird messages.

been signed in the getting signed out with a message sayying you have signed in on another computer sign in again

very slow internet

a very weird internet history and times

files opening randomly

to be to late to find out the hacker turned off my virus protection without me knowing and to have a message pop up on your desk top sayying ha ha then computer crash

when i restarted my computer i went into the bios screen and went into safe mode and the first thing that poped up was my msn history and a jack load of codes i then rewiped my computer to factory settings and now have a new email addy and now i am going the keep check on my anti virus and msn history.

has any one else had this sittuation happen to them

GEZZA93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Not to me, but I get regular messages from my friends who pop online for a split second, then send a line with a link that I 'Must See' then vanish offline.

An obvious virus trying to get me to click on it.

I send them a msg via Facebook telling them they have a virus etc. 9 times out of 10 they reply with 'I know, but I can't shift it...'
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son has been experiencing something sort of similar. I will be on the computer and he signs in (he is at work and definitely not on a computer). Sends weird links, weird messages. His friends have also been getting weird as messages too.
One message was, I know everything, next time was Ha Ha with the tongue sticking out emoticon, but mostly a smilie face with a link to something but never checked the link.

I am wondering if that is half my computers issues then, someone hacking his account.
His gf changed the password last night, so will be interesting to see if it starts again.

Is there anything I should look for in the way of a virus? I think my virus protector is ok and up to date (it says so anyway). But whenever I start my computer it does come up with 2 strange things.
1. being that a message comes up with the firewall isn't on, but when I check, it is.
2. being sqlwriter (or dumper) or something like that comes up as an error message.

Any advice greatly received
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
GEZZA93

i found that i had the look at this messages then i googled it and found out how to fix it was the uninstall msn messenger and reinstall and to check you history through your start, documents, downloads, msn messenger,history and check when it started to play up on you and take note on what the message says and google the broblem thats what i did and just take your time in reading website how to fixes thats what i did but the hack i just had was different and i had to rewipe the computer
Old 20-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

i ahve had this message, next time mates sign in i tell them via msn to change password, once thats done it usually stops the message from coming through..
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
i ahve had this message, next time mates sign in i tell them via msn to change password, once thats done it usually stops the message from coming through..
yeah that fixes the auto sent ones (the ones telling you to click a link)
they are spread by people clicking the link and entering their username/password on the site

but as for Gezza's prob, sounds like someone he knows installed a remote access program on his PC, explains the random opening of files, slow internet etc

do you ever let your mates use your computer gezza?
Old 20-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

the best way to help stop them from doing all this stuff is to change your passwords ever few weeks dont accept links on msn unless you know what thay are and u asked for them.

keep your windows upto date with the most update patches www.windowsupdate.com for xp and for vista go to the start menu then look in the list for windows update i do this all the time and i have no problem you have to take theres steps notw to help stop people form getting info and or stuffing your pc

another thing is worth doing is resetting your DSL or Cable modem every week so it re assines a new IP address it keeps the hackers gessing and it saves alot of headake!!!

thank you VU for giveing me a IT Networking Deploma :the_finge
Old 20-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
AUIIForte

If you want true protection, get something called 'TrueCrypt', its free and easy to use and basically makes it impossible for anybody to hack into your computer and start deleting stuff and downloading viruses on it.

Pay for good anti virus software, or get the free 'Avira' which is known to be the best virus detection software that is available freely.

Turn your firewall on, and like others have said, keep passwords and all that to your self and not stored anywhere on the computer.

Also, if you find that you get random folders just opening and stuff (like you mentioned earlier), turn your router/modem off STRAIGHT AWAY. And leave it off for a couple minutes.

But my best advice here is just get 'TrueCrypt' and encrypt your whole computer. It will be almost impossible for anybody to try to hack that .
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get them too, about 15 times per day i get the instant messages, if i clicked on one(i havn't) does it matter that Im on a mac...?
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
GEZZA93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
do you ever let your mates use your computer gezza?

no i have not let any of my mates use my computer only me and my brother who only used the computer a cuple of times.

i will have a look into a better virus protection

and thanks for the tips on turning the moden off etc
Old 20-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

One of my friends is getting that problem. "She" sent me a message that was clearly not legit, so I sent her a text, let her know someone was logged in to her account. They stayed logged in for about an hour!
She messaged back that she was at work, as was her twin sister, and hadn't used MSN for months anyway.
I suggested she change her password, and scan their computer for malware/spyware/viruses, but she apparently couldn't care less so she shrugged at me and said 'whatever' the next time I saw her.

I just blocked and deleted her account from my list. Problem solved for me.

I've just repaired my computer from 2 nasty malware problems with help from the geekstogo forums.
I would really recommend that site if you're not great with computers.
They will walk you through the removal process step by step.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

got this e-mail from my dad yesterday

THIS IS NO
JOKE

IF A PERSON CALLED SIMON
ASHTON ( SIMON25@HOTMAIL.CO.UK
<mailto:SIMON25@HOTMAIL.CO.UK&nbsp;>
)
CONTACTS YOU THROUGH EMAIL DON'T OPEN THE MESSAGE. DELETE IT
BECAUSE HE IS A HACKER!!

TELL EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST
BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ON YOUR LIST ADDS HIM THEN YOU
WILL GET HIM ON YOUR LIST. HE WILL FIGURE OUT YOUR ID COMPUTER
ADDRESS, SO COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE EVEN IF YOU
DONT CARE FOR THEM AND FAST BECAUSE IF HE HACKS THEIR EMAIL
HE
HACKS YOUR MAIL TOO!!!!!...

Anyone-using Internet mail such as
Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this
morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton. Please send
it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet. You
may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled 'Mail Server Report'

If you open either file, a message will appear
on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life
is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE
EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC,
And the person who sent it to you will
gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This
is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday
afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the
anti virus software's are
not capable of destroying it .

The virus
has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF
THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to
PASS IT
ON IMMEDIATELY!

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm fairly sure I was hacked once with MSN. You are right about the method. Just do a search on Youtube, theres plenty of video's explaining how to do it and what happens. I no longer use MSN.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
qwiksix

Simon Ashton = Hoax.
See here.

qs
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
GEZZA93

[QUOTE=CADSKY]

This

The virus

QUOTE]

i think this is the virus that of gotten

there was also on the news a while ago about the april fools virus could this of been what of done this to my computer?
Old 21-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
qwiksix

[QUOTE=GEZZA93]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADSKY

This

The virus

QUOTE]

i think this is the virus that of gotten

there was also on the news a while ago about the april fools virus could this of been what of done this to my computer?
Read the link in my post above. It's a HOAX. It's FAKE. It's FALSE. It's BULL.
You only had to google for Simon Ashton or 'life owner' and you would have found this in less time than the time you've already wasted.

You may or may not have a virus or whatever, but it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS EMAIL.

qs
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #17
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just an idea. when you logon close msn . ( you still get a popup if someones trying to msg you ) . also ALWAYS open your e-mails with a r/click ( looks but dousnt download ). just spent the last month just blocking @ bouncing email`s
from nigeria. ( 130 odd ). looks like it worked !.
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Sorry I didn't bother reading through all of the above, I haven't the time atm. But just going off the thread title, a warning to all , turn OFF remote desktop assistance !, this is so easy to hack and any half decent hacker can reak havoc and mess with your files / net / everything/ and delete anything, Turn it OFF ! .

BTW.. 80% of people hate microsoft and are out to hack microsoft products , imo your better of using something like yahoo messenger or another messenger. You can still chat to your (microsoft) friends usings these other free chat/messenger programs that are less vunerable to hacks. cheers

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 21-05-2009 at 02:48 AM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksix
Read the link in my post above. It's a HOAX. It's FAKE. It's FALSE. It's BULL.
You only had to google for Simon Ashton or 'life owner' and you would have found this in less time than the time you've already wasted.

You may or may not have a virus or whatever, but it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS EMAIL.

qs

u need to calm down buddy. i dont spend my time googling every email i get. i read it and put it aside. i saw this thread and thought it may have some relevance.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
His gf changed the password last night, so will be interesting to see if it starts again.
It will be pointless if you have a keylogger trojan on your pc
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post