Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
I think that is a rather simplistic view of a complex problem.

People who don't vote have just as much right as anyone else to have an an opinion or view on any given issue...the problem starts when neither party shares your view. Sure, you can vote for the greenies or an independant, BUT since we have a two party preferred system, what happens is your so-called 'valuable' vote is sold to the highest bidder in a preference deal, thus rendering your view worthless. Is it fair then, that one should be forced to cast a vote while knowing it will eventually support the opposing view? I consider abstinance both a form of protest and a means of retaining some small degree of integrity, in that no matter which team of clowns gets in, I didn't help put them there.
Your vote is only "sold to the highest bidder in a preference deal, thus rendering your view worthless", if you let them. In the Senate 'tablecloth' ballot paper if you cross a party above the line, it is accepted that you go along with their preference deal. Apparently most [95%?] do it this way.
Take the time and vote below the line, and it goes the way you what it to go. With compulsory voting this will always happen, as some voters just go through the motions to get their name crossed off, and the political parties play their silly games.
I always vote below the line on the Senate 'tablecloth'
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #32
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Your vote is only "sold to the highest bidder in a preference deal, thus rendering your view worthless", if you let them. In the Senate 'tablecloth' ballot paper if you cross a party above the line, it is accepted that you go along with their preference deal. Apparently most [95%?] do it this way.
Take the time and vote below the line, and it goes the way you what it to go. With compulsory voting this will always happen, as some voters just go through the motions to get their name crossed off, and the political parties play their silly games.
I always vote below the line on the Senate 'tablecloth'
While that is true, the end result is almost the same. The two party preferred system means the nominee with the least amount of votes is eliminated each round until only two remain. Generally, those two are the ALP and Liberals (because most voters are sheep), so even if you put them as the last two in order of preference, the odds are better than average that one will still get your vote.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #33
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
I say keep the inefficient pencil and paper voting, because each election I get paid ~$400 to sit around marking names off!
So your responsible for marking balthazarr name off three times

Obviously from the replies in this thread there are flaws in the system, therefore it needs to be rectified and I cant see why we cant vote over the internet. Think of the lost productivity, or loss of time that could have been spent enjoying life rather than standing in a queue having everyone give you a how to vote card, then throwing them all out and finally ticking or numbering some boxes

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
AusM
AusMotorsport

The system is rigged. Thousands of people don't vote properly and I still haven't seen the donkey get in!

AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #35
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is true only for those too stupid to allocate their own preferences a preference deal in the house of reps is only the order they appear in the how to vote ticket. if you allocate the way you want to the preference deal is short circuited
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Your vote is only "sold to the highest bidder in a preference deal, thus rendering your view worthless",

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #36
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
The system is rigged. Thousands of people don't vote properly and I still haven't seen the donkey get in!

Now for my 2 cents. Have never voted never been enroled never been on a census.

I live in a "democratic society" yet if I don't vote I get fined.
If I fail to pay the fine I get imprisoned.
Great democratic freedom we have in OZ.
I refuse to do anything with the govt that I can get out of.
My life and privacy is my own not thiers so f... em I say.
All a bunch of corupt lowlife scum only in it for what they can get themselves.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #37
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign

Last time I checked Mickey mouse was polling better than Donkey, but there has been a big swing against Mickey in some marginal seats.

On a more serious note, the best advice ever given to me about the Australian Electoral system was "Just vote for the independant, that way he might get his money back"
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #38
Bobman
Regulator

Anyone who thinks the Government cares about them is in fairy land

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #39
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA

Now for my 2 cents. Have never voted never been enroled never been on a census.

I live in a "democratic society" yet if I don't vote I get fined.
If I fail to pay the fine I get imprisoned.
Great democratic freedom we have in OZ.
I refuse to do anything with the govt that I can get out of.
My life and privacy is my own not thiers so f... em I say.
All a bunch of corupt lowlife scum only in it for what they can get themselves.
come on man you have to be on the census its fun to bull it come on who did take it truthfully? who said there religion was jedi knight? who didn't say there hiding 50 Mexicans in a sweat shop in there basement? i couldn't be the only one.

is really surprised the mobs haven't cracked down and shut this thread yet
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post