Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Default Health Cover. Confusing

I'm looking at getting some health cover but it's too confusing to understand what's best for me. Being single and 24 i'm thinking the basic cover is probably the best. Is it worth getting higher packages?

Thanks

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'm in the same boat as you... same age but I'm not single.

Best way is to go into a health insurance provider and ask the questions you need to. I've never had health insurance before so didn't really understand how it worked but I asked what I had to and now have a better idea on it.

If I was you, I'd be looking at full hospital cover and full dental cover. Full optical only if you have eye problems.
Old 25-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Hillbilly F Truck

Government push to privatise everything, which will eventuall see it like U.S where if you don't have paid private health cover you don't get put back together. I don't see the benefits as you have to pay for everything, and quite hansomely too.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I went through this last year and it was so confusing with the huge choice of providers.
Ended up here.. http://www.iselect.com.au/index.jsp?...FRsRagodaBVP_g

The site picks best option for you
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am young(ish), and have to have private health insurance as I have some medical issues. in 2004 I got pretty crook and had to have about 13 operations, and spent a lot of the year in hospital. It cost about $150,000 - which is not a whole lot less than my house (which I get to pay off over 25 years). Be really buggered if I had to stump up all that money, or would still be waiting (sick and not able to work) if I was a public patient. I did have to pay $10K out of pocket, but that is a hell of a lot better than $160K.

Fortunately I did have a 4 year old Hyundai I had just paid off which I was able to sell quick. The champs that bought it off me actually paid extra when they knew why I was selling it.

I am all good now though.

This wont happen to most people, but if it does... A mate somewhat strangely has similar problems to what I had and is up to 21 public operations. No private insurance. Despite mates doing what we can, he still can't work, and had to move his fiance and 2 kids back to his parents.

It sucks that we are moving towards an Americanised, user pays health system but if I had the choice of car mods, or even a bigger house, for me it would be health insurance all the way.

I am not on the higher packages though, about mid spec I think. Costs about $40 a week for family hospital and extra's cover.