Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default Desktop man with my first new Laptop !

Well I decided to take the plunge and have a go at my first laptop. I have had desktop pc's for years as they were way ahead of laptops for a long time imo / hence - reason why i never bought a laptop.
Well after buying a new desktop pc just under a year ago , I though I would try a laptop for my next new pc for something different and portable.
I gotta say, so far I am realy impressed ! , this laptop can run everthing my desktop pc can no worries/ pretty high end games and all !.
I was originaly going to buy a HP1004AX, but ended up gettng an ASUS M51VR-AP045C for not much more.
This thing has inbuilt everyhting just about !, it actualy seems to crap all over my desktop pc so far!. The specs for this laptop aren't way out there or anything, but pretty impressive for a laptop.
Ended up getting it from JbHi-Fi for $1275 paying cash, + got bonus carry case and a small laptop usb mouse too, Originaly $1495 all up.
Realy happy with it so far, I haven't fired up my desktop pc since i got this, this has totaly changed my opinion on laptops !. I been loving kicking back on the couch comfortably with the pc on my lap browsing away on the net and gaming etc.
Cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JUst need to back it up with a good prtable hard drive and your mobile for life, on my 4th laptop now, never looked back.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Nice work!

The hardest thing i found going from a desktop to a laptop is the keyboard, much smaller!

i swear for at least a week every time i went to type a i'd hit the caps lock key or then the insert key when trying to hit the backspace key....was a difficult time for a while there
Old 29-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

DOC... got it ;) , I purchased myself a 1Terabyte external usb hardrive a few months earlier, so thats all sorted.

DoreSlamR.. lol we must be 2 of a kind !, is exactly the probs i have had with it for the last few days, although I'm getting used to it now. But im still loving it.

Thing i think i can't get over is it has a half decent 256mb gfx card with hdmi output aswell so i can also plug it into my 60" plasma tv - bonus ! . :

Old 29-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't mind my lappy, it's basically for work only though. One major difference between my lappy and my desktops is hard drive speed, it's not even in the same ballpark. My lappy hdd is 5400rpm and my desktop has 15k drives in RAID0. Waiting for the lappy to boot, especially when it's running off battery is an ordeal!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the club, I've no intention of buying another desktop PC now that I've got a good lappy.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try doing some intensive stuff like video editing, etc. The new desktops will crap over a laptop any day, mainly for the reason specified already, the hard drive.
Your computer is only as good as the slowest component in it.
Old 29-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
GUTLES
Adam.

I've got 3 laptops here, 1 for me, one for my wife & one for my 3yo daughter (sad hey, its only a $500 cheapie). Love having them all networked wireless. Can take it from the couch, to the bedroom to the garage. I prefer a nice desktop any day larger kb & screen is so much better, but I found when we used to have a desktop in our study we'd hardly ever use it...

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't mind my lappy, it's basically for work only though. One major difference between my lappy and my desktops is hard drive speed, it's not even in the same ballpark. My lappy hdd is 5400rpm and my desktop has 15k drives in RAID0. Waiting for the lappy to boot, especially when it's running off battery is an ordeal!
15K?! SCSI? Damn man, that would have set you back a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
timace

I've got two machines of my own, a $500 Desktop (built myself earlier in the year) and a Laptop.

Desktop basically acts as a media store (all my photos, movies, music, etc), TV and torrenting and some occasional work.

My notebook is just for when I feel like kicking back, relaxing on the lounge or in bed with some chillout music and browsing... does most of my work when I'm out of the office, manages my newer photos, due to the built in card reader.
Old 30-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
15K?! SCSI? Damn man, that would have set you back a bit.
One of the benefits of repairing servers for a living. They didn't cost me a cent.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
One of the benefits of repairing servers for a living. They didn't cost me a cent.
Not bad at all for a regular schmuck! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
HOEBAG
Banned

"got bonus carry case and a small laptop usb mouse too,"

Pretty much ALL asus notebooks come with mice with the exception of the EEE range.
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper
"got bonus carry case and a small laptop usb mouse too,"

Pretty much ALL asus notebooks come with mice with the exception of the EEE range.
Oh well, was still a bonus. Im still happy as larry with it so far, no regrets at all buying it.

Old 30-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Love my laptop, will never go back to desktop, the laptop gives you so much more freedom and comfort
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #16
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
One major difference between my lappy and my desktops is hard drive speed, it's not even in the same ballpark. My lappy hdd is 5400rpm and my desktop has 15k drives in RAID0. Waiting for the lappy to boot, especially when it's running off battery is an ordeal!
Ahh. That's why every laptop I've used, including the one I'm currently using seems slow.
I think this one needs more ram (only 512)
They test my patience no end. : need a smash laptop smiley.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
Debzilla_108
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a DELL laptop....cost $3500 its pretty good...got the best of everything...i dont know the numbers...but yeah i have my laptop hooked up to a 19" screen and a keyboard on my computer desk and mouse for when im doing tafe and stuff....so its not a pain with the little keyboard..but i still have the freedom to take it with me...

"When there's nowhere left to turn...........turn right!"
Debzilla_108 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Well I have to admit.... I had over 3 good top of the range laptops...and then one got stolen so I spoke to the insurance comapny and recieved a custom built desktop... I paid an extra 1200 odd.. included 2 yr extended warranty... below are the specs and I can tell you... our laptops barely get touched now.. We both fight over this desktop.. I love it... since then I have purchased XP and put that on my desktop as I found Vista fought with every bloody thing that I wanted to do.

Anyways I think they are good I asked for what I knew and I wanted it to be fast...... one day we want to upgrade the graphics card again.... please advise if you think anything should be improved etc...also I bought this about a year ago so I already know its outdated... LOL :P

32-bit MS Windows Vista Home Premium 1-Pack OEM DVD Operating System

Microsoft Wireless BLACK Optical Desktop 1000 - Keyboard and Optical Mouse -
Retail Package

Web Excel 56K Internal Modem - Conexant (Rockwell) chipset

MSI ATI HD2600XT PCI-E 512MB 128-bit DDR3, Dual Link DVI, HDMI/HDCP, HDTV,
Integrated HD Audio, Heatpipe

P5K ASUS P5K-iP35 M/board - P35, 1333MHz FSB, Dual Channel DDR2-1066, PCI Express x16, SATA
II RAID, Gigabit LAN, 8-Ch Audio, 1394, CrossFire, ATX

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU, 2.40 GHz, FSB 1066MHz, 2x4MB L2 Cache, Socket LGA775

SATA!!! Samsung SH-S183L Lightscribe Black Internal DOUBLE Layer 18x DVD�RW
Drive, 12x DVD-RAM, 8x �R DL, Retail with software included

SONATAIII NEW! Antec 'Sonata III' MiniTower Case - Piano Black, EarthWatts 500W PSU,
9 Drive Bays, Washable Air Filter, Front USB/eSATA/Audio, ATX

ST3500630AS Seagate 500GB 'ST3500630AS' SATA II 3Gb/s NCQ HDD - 7200rpm, 16MB Cache,
5-year warranty

T2X4096-64C5 Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM,
2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 5-5-5-15

VX2235WM Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM Wide-Screen LCD Monitor - Black, Max. Resolution 1680 x
1050, 5ms Response Time, DVI/Analog, Speakers

ASUS WL-138g 802.11g V2 WLAN PCI Card, PCI BUS Management Interface, up to 54Mbps data rate
at 802.11g

MS Office Pro AE 2007

Their total custom build cost came to approx 3800
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
ch33z1l
Dawn

Very nice system there outback chick.

Id recommend a Blueray Burner, as they are down to about $599, u may want to put it off until the release some faster writing models though.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #20
XlR8TED

Whilst it's not something I'd suggest as an upgrade, but more of something you should be careful of in future, they've given you 4GB of RAM but only a 32 bit Operating System. The maximum a 32 bit OS can use is 4GB, but that includes video card and a few other things - so you're really running with maybe 3.3GB of RAM.

It seems a little bit expensive, but then I think office isn't cheap? (I got my copy though work for $32 :P)

The real advantage to PCs over laptops is the ease of upgrades. If you surf/word process laptops can be great, but gamers and people who like upgrading often would end up poor very quickly buying a new laptop every 12 months, just so they can upgrade a few bits :P
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why is everyone calling them lappy's? next best thing huh? it sits in your lap and its right in the palm of your hand :P

anyway

I had one for a while, was great - until i knocked it off my desk for the 4th time and it died(it was old, didnt matter) but its very convenient if your not doin much SERIOUS gaming.. in fact thats really the only main reason to get a desk top other then a big screen - but then again you can plug your desktop screen into it anyway!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
The maximum a 32 bit OS can use is 4GB
3.5Gb to be exact.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #23
XlR8TED

3.5 or thereabouts is what you will see. The theoretical maximum is 4 (2^32 / 1024 x 1024). The rest is taken up by Video Card etc.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

I see... so thats why the guy who was building it said it can only be maxed out to 4GB.... so how can I go faster......

Something in common here with cars and computers.. I like them faster LOL

Also with the Bluray... I'm going to hold off on that because I heard that its not going to be out for long... rumours perhaps? maybe? not sure yet.. will find out soon..

And... in my system information it says..

Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.41 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM....

hope that sorts your issues out...
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post