Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
lizardmech

Default Vic government says roads are full

Did anyone else see the transport minister on the news? He said they wouldn't bother trying to fix the places that have traffic problems because the roads are full because the bad Victorians all try and drive their cars. They don't seem to understand people arnt driving their cars into the city just for fun, Australia isn't some small european country where you can catch public transport everywhere. They were saying they wanted to increase the population in melbourne the other week as well.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Eh, since when did the Bracks government have a clue about anything to do with transport.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Supply & demand guys..

If the sitting government won't do anything about transport then they'll get the **** at the next election. People demand better roads & the govt has to supply them. One issue they cannot ignore is transport.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

The sooner the Bracks Government go, the better we will be for it.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Prob is he got back in last time...

Motoring and Transport including the topical Vic lunatic 3km/h tolerances crap, was not enough to sway some folk.

Other issues come into play. Blame women:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

atleast you guys have a half-decent public transport system. come to perth and try cathcing a bus on sunday...impossible.

seriously, i am not sure which roads were being talked about, but the problem you have with melbourne (and other older cities) is that sometimes, there is nowhere to expand the road. however, the statement from the bracks government sounds like they arent going to consider any options and are happy to let people sit in their cars for hours while nothing changes.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Other issues come into play. Blame women:-)
Hey! I resent that remark! (phwoar, nearly typed resemble then... :P)

The thing I don't understand is they rip up perfectly decent roads and resurface them, but leave the crap, busier roads that actually need to be fixed! Why waste the money on fixing a side street that barely gets used, that isn't even that bad anyway?

I swear they do everything backwards just to annoy us.
:jab:
FordGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Did anyone else see the transport minister on the news? He said they wouldn't bother trying to fix the places that have traffic problems because the roads are full because the bad Victorians all try and drive their cars. They don't seem to understand people arnt driving their cars into the city just for fun, Australia isn't some small european country where you can catch public transport everywhere. They were saying they wanted to increase the population in melbourne the other week as well.
It's alright for the guys that get chauffeured everywhere, while they read the paper, have phone interviews & get paid ridiculous amounts of money to tell us what we can't do & sometimes what we can.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm so sick of traffic, it seems wherever you go there are heaps of people and cars around!!! The government wants to put higher prices on parking in the city yet public transport is extremly expensive and NOT very realiable with tran delays everyday!!
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #10
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Motoring and Transport including the topical Vic lunatic 3km/h tolerances crap, was not enough to sway some folk.
3km/h you say, the tolerance has been decreased to 2km/h now. My last speeding ticket said 2km/h tolerance. Adolf Bracks bites into more of my hard earned cash.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Fordgirl - I have also noticed this. A road near my folks' house was re surfaced yet it was fine. Surely the money could have been spent more wisely?

xr6007 - Public transport is my hate. I dread using the train or bus. They take longer and never reliable and don't get me started the condition of trains...

smoked - Bracksie is definately helping his hip pocket. Also he is doing absolutly nothing for our roads. Fact is speed doesn't kill but Mr Jo Pulbic thinks it does and like the rest of the sheep will follow.

Keeping on topic, you will find this is another reason why petrol prices are on the up. But if the roads we treated with the respect for the government the road users would also treat with respect and the roads would be less congested.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
3km/h you say, the tolerance has been decreased to 2km/h now. My last speeding ticket said 2km/h tolerance. Adolf Bracks bites into more of my hard earned cash.
Are you for real? Is that true?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

How is that legal?
Old 30-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Public transport is for those who don't own a FORD!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yea i got told it was 2% as well when i was last pulled over.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #16
xrgran

FordGirl, LTDHO, we have a similar problem with our local council. They recently spent a good six weeks resealing one of the best roads in town, when one of the most used roads has potholes the size of my tyre's!

Is that right Smoked....there is now a 2km over limit tolerance?? crikey.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 AM   #17
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Vic Governmert takes bulk revenue from roads. Vic Goverment is responsible for Vic roads in the main. So they took the revenue, now they are saying they dont have big enough roads? Are they the people that should run roads in the future?

Now what other problems do you need solving?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #18
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I guess the reason that all the 'easy' jobs get undertaken each year is a bit like that scene in 'Falling Down' where Michael Douglas accuses the council worker of fixing a road that has nothing wrong with it just so that they can meet budget and get the same money next year. There's no point coming in way under budget, because they will just have less to play with next year. I wish they would spend it on major arterials though.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
XWGT