Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Silversurfer

Default Are cars built on friday more troublesome?

This is just for readers thoughts as I want to workout if cars that are being built on fridays have more issues than ones that are started earlier in the week.

I know of 3 cars (recent fords) personally that have had more issues than I would expect and they were built commencing the friday shift.
Current owners are not very impressed as they have some friends whose cars were not friday builds and have had less issues.

true , false or stop talking crap?

Muzza

Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id say talking crap..

i woulda thought work done @ 3.30pm would be more prone to stuff ups than 9am friday
Old 22-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
irlewy86
Meep Meep

So what about Monday cars, or cars built before holidays, or ones built in Winter when everyone has the flu. Or during a really hot day in Summer???????????? Do they suffer from Friday F*&% UPs as well.
Old 22-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
whiskieboy

How do you know it WAS built on a friday? We have so many checks and balances in place that their is no difference as to what day it was built. Although I would be worried about anything built near grand final day, or melbourne cup, or.........
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some months ago, while fitting a Typhoon IC to my car, I pulled the front bar off and found a portion of a production line build sheet stuck to back of the bar.....I backtracked the date on it to 2006 and....you guessed it....it was a Friday.
Although having said that, my car has now given me 53000klms of trouble free service......Friday or not....I couldnt be happier with my T :
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I used to work in the body shop at GMH here in SA.
I think a lot of the people there werent too bothered with their own work no matter what day or shift it was...

But, as said above, there is so many quality checks along the line that the majority of defects get picked up.

I think this 'friday arvo' stuff is more to do with cars built in the 60's/70's etc...
Old 22-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

It's bollocks. Any poorly put together car, one exhibiting unreliable traits has been referred to as a Friday car. I believe it was a phrase first penned by some 'clever -with - words' journo many years ago. A bad car can be built on any day of the week...

Do builders do worse work on Fridays? What about a concreter, or a plumber, or your dentist. How many doctors butcher their patients due to the surgery being scheduled on a Friday afternoon?

Do you not give a crap about your work because it's a Friday? I'm guessing the answere is (well at least should be) NO.

Especially considering the car industry operates 7 days per week, is any day more prone to poor workmanship than others?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Scott

The Friday legend is BS. The Wednesday one is 100% fact though.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
The Friday legend is BS. The Wednesday one is 100% fact though.
i haven't heard the Wednesday one yet?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Scott

^^ Best cars are made on a Wednesday. It is the furthest point from a hangover or a party ;)
Old 22-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

I don't know for sure but don't most car companies use mechines for the most parts of these cars.
The other part would be what sort of people are employed at these places and their wages this might also have some bearing .
But on the best point people that care about their work care all week those that don't don't all week .
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
BLDNUT01

its all crap its just luck of the draw i used to work at ford and the date stamp/sticker is when the part was made not when the car was assembled we had day of the mondays and fridays that were ford best days for production and quality and days were wednesdays were bad and we only built just over a hundred cars it would
Old 22-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
Scott

Cars built on a Tuesday & Thursday are pretty reasonable too.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
jeremyevans

what about a car that's built on the 29th february (leap day). when a car leaves the production line (brand spanking new) in the uk it can go for three years without an MOT (ministry of transport check) and then every year concurrently.

imagine in 'true time'- realistically the first 3 year MOT, would be 12 years and the concurrent yearly would be every four years.

then there's british summertime/wintertime, when the clocks go forward/backwards in the middle of the night. so when a person is on a nightshift, they either do an extra hour or an hour less. that's got to be the time when a bad car leaves the product line. imagine having to work a 13 hour shift for the price of a 12 hour one. but it does even out on the winter shift.

crazy i know- does australia have summer/winter times- or is it just the crazy brits (who can't play cricket- only talk about it. come to think about it, we can't plat rugby aswell)
jeremyevans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyevans
what about a car that's built on the 29th february (leap day). when a car leaves the production line (brand spanking new) in the uk it can go for three years without an MOT (ministry of transport check) and then every year concurrently.

imagine in 'true time'- realistically the first 3 year MOT, would be 12 years and the concurrent yearly would be every four years.

then there's british summertime/wintertime, when the clocks go forward/backwards in the middle of the night. so when a person is on a nightshift, they either do an extra hour or an hour less. that's got to be the time when a bad car leaves the product line. imagine having to work a 13 hour shift for the price of a 12 hour one. but it does even out on the winter shift.

crazy i know- does australia have summer/winter times- or is it just the crazy brits (who can't play cricket- only talk about it. come to think about it, we can't plat rugby aswell)
i have heard a friend complain about 13 hrs shift and not paid for it.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surlely they cant build a complete Falcon from scartch to showroom in one day. ie Friday.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #17
Silversurfer

excellent response by all and thanx for this as it was something i wanted to clear up and relay to friends .

Consensus therefore sides with the opinion "stop talking crap"

cheers
Muzza
Old 23-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

It's not the day the car was built but the amount of operators that were present on the day (at least from the quality reports that I put out every day). If operator numbers were low on a certain day they would try to balance the production line as best they could, unfortunatly when you have operators with little training on a certain part of the line you get issues.
Another factor was when the line lost it's Jackie Chan's (Ford production line speak for gun operators) you would get issues.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #19
Silversurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It's not the day the car was built but the amount of operators that were present on the day (at least from the quality reports that I put out every day). If operator numbers were low on a certain day they would try to balance the production line as best they could, unfortunatly when you have operators with little training on a certain part of the line you get issues.
Another factor was when the line lost it's Jackie Chan's (Ford production line speak for gun operators) you would get issues.
Crossing my fingers my new terri that I pickup next week is a tight unit .
Paying over $40 g's for a car is not small bickies for a working family man.

cheers
Muzza
Old 23-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

hahaha i love this myth. i often refer to 'friday cars' at work. it's all BS and is just what people call a car with a few faults, usually only an issue if it's your car or if you got stuck with the job of fixing the faults.

there is no way a car can be built on any one single day, therefore blowing the whole friday car thing out of the water, still, it makes for a good yarn i sposse.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #21
chief
FTF Club Moderator

It takes more than one day to build a car....

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #22
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
^^ Best cars are made on a Wednesday. It is the furthest point from a hangover or a party ;)
AND ALSO KNOWN AS HUMP DAY 2 MORE DAYS TO THE WEEKEND
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #23
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
It takes more than one day to build a car....
YEP JUST LIKE TRYING TO REBUILD ONE YOU THINK IT WILL TAKE YOU X AMOUNT OF TIME AND IT TURNS OUT TO BE Y AMOUNT OF TIME
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #24
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
YEP JUST LIKE TRYING TO REBUILD ONE YOU THINK IT WILL TAKE YOU X AMOUNT OF TIME AND IT TURNS OUT TO BE Y AMOUNT OF TIME
I know tell me about it. I have been trying for 2 and a bit years, got the motor 18 months ago and its still not in the car.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
T-Pak Addict
Jim

what about a car they start on friday and finish on monday?

going by the myth it would be a real lemon.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzamoose
Crossing my fingers my new terri that I pickup next week is a tight unit .
Paying over $40 g's for a car is not small bickies for a working family man.

cheers
Muzza

Should be fine as the units coming out are pretty low. As long as the model mix (this term is that they have different models coming down the line eg terri, ute, sedan, sedan, wagon) isn't going to put some of the stations under the pump. Also with the low numbers, the line is being stopped if there's assembly problems.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post