Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #31
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcosa
Hey there - need some advice or comments;
The old man is coming home one night and a cop pulls him over, random breath test.

Now the old guy is 54, not snappy guy, happy to help - even though its 10pm at night, and he's been up since 6am concreting finishing the job because people want it done before Christmas.

First of all he runs the number plates (that’s all cool), then tells him "you haven’t paid the rego and I'm confiscating the number plates, you cannot drive this vehicle". After explaining it was paid, because he had no receipt the cop then gets a screwdriver out, pulls off both number plates and says here’s a $600 fine.

rNow he cannot drive his truck (carrying all the equipment for work) which pretty much means he can’t work.

FFS – seriously, now he has to borrow a car and go and hire a trailer (at his expense) to go to work because F’n VicRoads can’t get it F’n right. Jobs got to be done before COB Christmas.

Who here carries a receipt for their rego in their car?

And what kind of right’s does he have here?
Without proof either the coppa got it wrong or was just being a dick , you realise it takes a day or two for the CC transfer to go into main rds accounts ?
registered then no fine and he gets to pay for new plates.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
in qld you OWN the plates so they cant take them if they are personalised.

had a similar thing happen but with drivers licance error, well computer error once found that i was in the clear it was all reinstated but took 6 months for an appology and a further 18 months for compensation for thier own stuff up.
Thats the thing that seems to take too long. Yes the will reinstate the plates/rego etc. But I gaurentee you they wont compensate the business owner for VicRoads error (if it is their error.) In any Private contractural arangement the offending party would be up for all damages resultant from the false confiscation of the plates. VicRoads (and to a much lesser extent VICPOL) should be held accountable (pay all damages incured - lost business etc).

All this pends on VicRoads being 112% at fault

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #33
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
id laugh if the cop tired to do to a car that had security screws and they could't get them off they would be funny :
No it's not, the plates come off regardless. You don't need screwdrivers or whatever to get them off by hand, they will come off.

The chances are the guy's dad forgot to pay the rego. It happens, it's not the end of the world.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
VSSII

In NSW the plates aren't removed unless they car's been expired for a considerable length of time. They are the property of the RTA. The cops can tell to the second what time the bill was paid at the RTA so there's none of that "Oh the cheque mustn't have cleared yet". There's nothing worse than getting hit by some nob in an unregistered car. No insurance!
And there's no need to carry any type of reciept in the car as it's stamped on the rego label which you should put on your car upon payment at the RTA. Yes I know you can pay online but for this reason I like to get it done the old way.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKC
In Victoria, the definition of a highway is a road or road related area. A nature strip (I assume that is where the car was parked) is a road related area.

You cannot own or use an unregistered vehicle on a highway. So if the plates are cancelled (whether they a personalised or not) they can be seized by police and returned to Vic Roads.

NB: This is Victoria, I did notice you were from QLD. So I don't know.

i think i forgot to mention it was Dedicated Car Parking for Tenants - but like street parking - bizarre situation
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #36
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
i think i forgot to mention it was Dedicated Car Parking for Tenants - but like street parking - bizarre situation
When they added 'road like area' they covered themselves for eventualities like this.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #37
paul_r_d

Default for sure!

Quote:
id laugh if the cop tired to do to a car that had security screws and they could't get them off they would be funny :
Hahahah yeah they have a fun time getting mine off. Mine were put on when were fixing up the bumper and screwed on fom the inside. I stuffed the thread also so no way they are coming off.

No way my $410 plates are getting nicked.
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #38
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

Quote:
in qld you OWN the plates so they cant take them if they are personalised.

had a similar thing happen but with drivers licance error, well computer error once found that i was in the clear it was all reinstated but took 6 months for an appology and a further 18 months for compensation for thier own stuff up.
If they are being used on an unregisted vehicle we can take them and return them the QLD transport for cancellation / realloction or given back to the owner
We only go off what the QLD Transport server has - mistakes happen on both sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Not in reference to the OP, additionally so as its Qld and not Vic, but traffic laws are part of the Criminal Code in Qld, so technically, it is a criminal offence in Qld
Correct
Quote:
id laugh if the cop tired to do to a car that had security screws and they could't get them off they would be funny
Plates are really not that hard to remove they are only aluminium
Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCoastGTP
But if you tried to do that to a Mitsubishi you'd probably take the front bar off as well
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #40
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
If they are being used on an unregisted vehicle we can take them and return them the QLD transport for cancellation / realloction or given back to the owner
We only go off what the QLD Transport server has - mistakes happen on both sides

Correct

how is it possible to take the plates? they are my property not the state's QLD you OWN your plates they arent a part of the car 'for want of a better word' in otherwords if i de register my lexus they can become my bar piece, unlike NSW/ACT where you pay a fee each year and have to have them registered to a car.

the only thing in qld id expect is a court notice for driving uninsured/unrego vehicle and other items at police discression.

however, it took me 18 months and a few court appearances to get my $$ back and i dont think if its THEIR STUFF UP i should have to cop it, i understand mistakes are made but when its recognised that is your fault own up and reimburse the poor bastard you just caused grief for no reason to.. its simple.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #41
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You drive an unregistered and uninsured car you are a criminal
END OF DISCUSSION
not so much the rego but no insurance ill consider you a criminal. If someone with no insurance on their car hits you and they cant pay its like malicious damage to property and considering cars cost a shitload of money to repair usually-depending on damage. that will suck if they cant pay and i will want them thrown away for a coupla months to teach them a lesson (minimum sec mind you)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #42
boss 300

hi all,in nsw if your car is out reg.plates will be taken,also if you pay on the net,the recepit n.gos using black biro on the reg. sticker
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #43
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss 300
hi all,in nsw if your car is out reg.plates will be taken,also if you pay on the net,the recepit n.gos using black biro on the reg. sticker
Definitely not true! The plates are not removed from the vehicle in NSW.
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #44
351buzz

In vic we used to write the rec # on the sticker. but now it states on the sticker that there is no need to do so. I have my last 6 or so stickers in the glovebox, I just hand them all over and ask 'em to find the one they want.(usually goes over well)
When his old man gets new plates I reckon he should weld the nuts onto the back of the screws. At least you could have a giggle watchin the cops struggle with 'em.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #45
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Giggle whilst they damage the car getting them off ? The plates can be ripped off if you work at it, it's easier to pay the rego and not worry about
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIAL8
Definitely not true! The plates are not removed from the vehicle in NSW.
Bzzzt...wrong.

I used to often hear on my scanner (in the truck) about HP officers removing plates, and cars are still occasionally seen parked on the side of highways without plates.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #47
351buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Giggle whilst they damage the car getting them off ? The plates can be ripped off if you work at it, it's easier to pay the rego and not worry about
Its a concreters work truck
Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #48
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wow, so many know-it-alls in this thread that know nothing! Some of you should read each post, not just the first and then the latest one. It might pay to listen to what the likes of SDKC and XA-Coupe say - they are/were on the force and have no reason not to tell the truth (as far as I know).

In ACT, you pay a one-off fee for plates, so I guess you could say you "own" them while they are being used on the car.

In this day and age of confiscated cars (for hooning etc), I'd say the OP's dad was lucky to only have the plates confiscated.

I also note the OP has not responded, which suggests that the "truth" may have been stretched in the original post. From info supplied in this thread by those that actually know what they're talking about, clearly the rule is for rego expired longer than 3 months, that's an automatic cancellation and hence seize the plates. Even if rego was paid the day the plates were seized, or even the day before, the car was left unregistered for at least 3 months, meaning someone's been driving unregistered, or not working for 3 months (at least).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #49
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
how is it possible to take the plates? they are my property not the state's QLD you OWN your plates they arent a part of the car 'for want of a better word' in otherwords if i de register my lexus they can become my bar piece, unlike NSW/ACT where you pay a fee each year and have to have them registered to a car.

the only thing in qld id expect is a court notice for driving uninsured/unrego vehicle and other items at police discression.

however, it took me 18 months and a few court appearances to get my $$ back and i dont think if its THEIR STUFF UP i should have to cop it, i understand mistakes are made but when its recognised that is your fault own up and reimburse the poor bastard you just caused grief for no reason to.. its simple.
You dont own them, they do unless you pay $60 bucks to personalise them, then you own them.

As far as im concerned if you havent got a label and uve paid then you need to have the receipt of payment in the vehicle, if you pay by the due date you will get the label in time. In qld the cops usually give you a week!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #50
RAPTOR_XR8

Should we wrap ourselves in bubble wrap JUST in case, if you are worried just glue them on lol.
RAPTOR_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #51
XRNIL8

This has been a most excellent read ... a bit of biff and it would be perfect ... lmao.

Would be great to hear back from the original poster ...... so that we know if the truth has been stretched or there has been an error somewhere along the line.............

Looks like some people on here just like a good excuse to bash the copper ..... which is a shame as 9 out of 10 are actually nice people just doing a job that needs to be done.

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #52
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351buzz
Its a concreters work truck
You'd be able to tell where the plate was, the clean spot !
Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
quote of the day!
Its funny cause its true aswell

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #54
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Bzzzt...wrong.

I used to often hear on my scanner (in the truck) about HP officers removing plates, and cars are still occasionally seen parked on the side of highways without plates.
Bzzzt Bzzzt Gas0lane

I guess the scanner makes you an expert hey. Ever had this happen to you???? Well champion take it from me that this did not happen to my wife and I when we were pulled over about three weeks ago just north of Raymond Terrace near Newie I think. Flew to Sydney from Brisbane to pick up a black hearse from a Seven Hills funeral home. Highway Patrol car pulls us over and kindly informs us that the car that we have just purchased is in fact both unregistered and uninsured and has been that way since May of 2006. Short version is two tickets of $477.00 each and no demerit points. 1 ticket for being unregistered and the other one for being uninsured. Allowed to return to Raymond Terrace so that we can obtain a blue slip ? I think and no mention of removing plates. Once again post facts and not here say. Oh yeah and the nice policeman that gave us the tickets was very friendly and was just doing his job. He did tell us that there should have been a further ticket bringing the total to three but took pitty on us and left it at two. Not sure what the other one was going to be for!!!

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 05-01-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Sorry mate. I spelt your user name wrong
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #55
351buzz

Quote:
not if he concreted them on which would've been my next suggestion
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Short version is two tickets of $477.00 each and no demerit points. 1 ticket for being unregistered and the other one for being uninsured. Allowed to return to Raymond Terrace so that we can obtain a blue slip ? I think and no mention of removing plates.
In that case you were lucky that you had a reasonable copper. As for allowing you to drive to obtain blue slip he was in fact saying that you can break the law,again you got lucky.

Quote:
Once again post facts and not here say.
Heresay is when someone tells me something and I post it without checking the facts. What I said was that I MYSELF HAVE HEARD on a scanner -they used to be necessary equipment for a truck on the Hume hwy- Highway Patrol officers do rego checks, and then tell radio that they are removing the plates.

Have you never wondered about the cars that are parked on the side of the road, usually along country highways more than city streets, that have been there for some time with no plates?