Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
bartaxr8

Default Ebay Second Chance Offer........

I got a second chance offer in My Messages on Ebay today and was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is anyway to know if this is a legitimate offer or not?
Thanks in advance for any help.

bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
BFYOOT

generally they are legitimate mate, usually the winner didnt pay or the seller had a couple of items the same. like all ebay stuff but, there are the odd dodgy sales, just luck. and look at their ratings too.
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
krt10
eskyman

ive used the 2nd chance offer a few times now. never had a problem, like BFYOOT said check the sellers feedback
Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
bartaxr8

Thanks for the tips guys. The seller has only had 41 feedbacks but it is 100 percent positive.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
thexyking

As mentioned it usually signifies that the seller and more than one or the purchaser did not proceed. What it can also mean is that the winning bid was not genuine and that the seller was 'shilling' your bid (making you bid higher). Check the location of both the seller and the winning bidder, it they look to be close together or you feel in any way suss about it, go back and offer a lower price. Send me an email if you want to know how to avoid having your bids pumped up by the seller. Cheers.
thexyking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexyking
As mentioned it usually signifies that the seller and more than one or the purchaser did not proceed. What it can also mean is that the winning bid was not genuine and that the seller was 'shilling' your bid (making you bid higher). Check the location of both the seller and the winning bidder, it they look to be close together or you feel in any way suss about it, go back and offer a lower price. Send me an email if you want to know how to avoid having your bids pumped up by the seller. Cheers.
I'd like to know that as well, thanks.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If its in "My Messages" in MY Ebay it should be legit. Be wary of second chance offers that contact you directly.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I get them all the time. The message is from E-bay not the seller and usually about an item that did not sell.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
boss-290

In "My eBay". there should be a thng that says you've been offered the second chance offer.

Thats how you know its legit.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
In "My eBay". there should be a thng that says you've been offered the second chance offer.

Thats how you know its legit.
it must be legit if you receive a "second chance offer" you only receive these if you have bid on the item!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 utey
it must be legit if you receive a "second chance offer" you only receive these if you have bid on the item!!
Maybe a year and a half ago, eBay sent out an email to users that fraudulent second chance offers had been emailed to people who havn't even bid on the item, but have been scammed that way.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
thexyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXLS
If its in "My Messages" in MY Ebay it should be legit. Be wary of second chance offers that contact you directly.
Yes, you have to check that it legitimately comes from ebay by the message mentioning your user name in the text. What it doesn't mean is that the winning bid was genuine. Let's say I have a GS dash for sale and list it under my own ID and you bid a maximum of $2,500 for it but your high bid at the time shows as $2,000. I then use my wife's ID to pump the bid to $2,550 and my wife 'wins' it. I then come back and offer it to you for $2,500 when the next highest genuine bidder was only $1,975. The wife was never going to buy it but you've been asked to pay $500 more than you otherwise would have.

Don't accept everything on ebay at face value.
thexyking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #13
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I to get 2nd chance offers, its usually the seller with a 2nd user name pumped up the price as far as he could then sends out 2nd chance offers this way he made sure he was going to get every cent you were willing to pay.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
scoupedy

What i hate about them is when the winning bidder out bids you and then doesn't pay and they want you to pay your maximum bid price

I.e you win bid at say $15 your max is $25 the bidder who out bids you to say $26 and they expect you to pay the $25 not the $15

I was sus that the seller had another iD (they always had zero or low feedback) and was bidding on own item to push the price up to your maximum still don't like it

look at the bid history and and see who out bid you and what there feedback numbers are like

also only deal through ebay not when they email you direct or you have no ebay gaurentee
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

shill bidding is very common on shambay.

I never accept second chance offers. Sure you could miss a bargain, but if second chance didnt exist, it would go a long way to defeat the benefits of shill bidding.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing to watch out for, which I have received, is an e-mail from 'ebay' saying that I have outstanding payments that must be settled or my account will be suspended. Now, of course its not really ebay, especially if you check the email they send it from. Doesnt matter what it is, you can always run it through the ebay fraud unit. You can ask them if its legit or not, they'll check it out and let you know.
Mind you, on a side note, the fraud unit is not always effective, as at one time I reported an obvious scam, and they returned it back to me saying it was legit, then when I emailed back again, they apologised profusely and identified it as a scam and also apologised for the person who obviously didnt even look at it.
Just as a rule, always treat ebay as a potential scam.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
cowboy
Cowboy

How long after paying for an item do you wait for it, before biting the bullet, leaving neg feedback and reporting to ebay as a scam? I bought a phone for nearly $300, the seller had a feedback score of 38, 100% pos so I thought I was OK. I paid the day after the auction ended and almost a month later, still no phone. And not answering my emails. What's worse is that now if I leave neg feedback, they'll just slam me and destroy my rating too. Grrr.

Oh and xyking, would love to know how to stop sellers pumping up the bid.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
How long after paying for an item do you wait for it, before biting the bullet, leaving neg feedback and reporting to ebay as a scam? I bought a phone for nearly $300, the seller had a feedback score of 38, 100% pos so I thought I was OK. I paid the day after the auction ended and almost a month later, still no phone. And not answering my emails. What's worse is that now if I leave neg feedback, they'll just slam me and destroy my rating too. Grrr.

Oh and xyking, would love to know how to stop sellers pumping up the bid.
Report it to ebay. A month is long enough for a phone to arrive. People may not go post everyday, but you should be able to post within a week IMO.

The feedback system sucks. Basically, 100% positive means diddly squat. For the exact reason you mention along with a few others, many people just dont leave negative for fear of blemishing their own well deserved 100% with retaliatory feedback.

Both parties should be required to leave feedback before either appears for review, as the process seems to have users over a barrel in that one can have the last word on feedback. If one party doesnt leave feedback within a month, then they lose the right to leave it for that item, and the one left shows up on its own.

Seems to me, that is the fairest method you can leave honest feedback without fear of retaliatory feedback, and sellers and buyers would tend to be better at trading honestly. Its not perfect, nothing is, but it removes the hurdle of feedback meaning diddly squat.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
cowboy
Cowboy

Sent a very firm email with a date (one weeks time) saying that if I did not have it by then ebay would be informed. We'll see what happens.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #20
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I to get 2nd chance offers, its usually the seller with a 2nd user name pumped up the price as far as he could then sends out 2nd chance offers this way he made sure he was going to get every cent you were willing to pay.
Exactly right. Had this a few times with one seller. Then sent him an email, telling him that what he does is illegal and i will dob him into ebay and have the authenticity of the 'bid war' checked. Then won a following item at a cheap non inflated price from this seller.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #21
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
How long after paying for an item do you wait for it...
eBay require 30 days to pass before they'll look into it - which is the case for you. Contact eBay, get them to investigate and hopefully you can recover your money at worst, or the seller might be prodded to send the goods. I think with Paypal, you're covered up to 60 days - check this.
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post