Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
TadKa
Wait? What?

Default Whitsundays - Where to stay?

I booked some cheap flight to Hamilton for 3 night in Feb. Now I don't know where to stay. Hamilton or get a shuttle to another island. I'm on a Moderate budget. I don't mind spending a bit, But everything seems quite expensive. Hayman looks nice but I've read some terrible reviews. We are mid 20's couple and don't want to be around too many kids. Any Advice, Cheers

TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

We stayed in a Bungalow on Hamilton Island and was Great!! Daydream Island isn't worth it. Brampton is pretty good and you gotta check out Airlie beach..So many of them..so little time!! Best of luck with ya mini break!!
Old 21-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

If your on a moderate budget get a boat back to the mainland, cairns or port douglas. Modarate budget and Whitsundays does'nt fit in the same sentence.

There's very limited accom within the Whitsundays that is self contained, and the meal prices to go out is ridicules. Some islands have more than one place to eat but if you reserch it a bit more you'll find out only one opens per night.
When i say ridiculas i mean prices like $100 per head.

Im sure some might not think it's expensive but if your on a moderate budget this isn't the place to go.

I'd be checking all of this before you plan anything.

Good luck man and enjoy where ever you end up.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
If your on a moderate budget get a boat back to the mainland, cairns or port douglas.
I found Haymen to be fine, despite reports!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I went to Hamilton with the missus in January this year and stayed in the reef view hotel - accomodation was a little pricey but doesn't come into context with how much it costs to eat etc, but afterall it is a holiday so there's no point spending the money to get and stay there and not enjoy yourself. Don't expect to go to to the Whitsundays if you have a tight budget though, it would be cheaper to go overseas almost.

Hamilton was good in terms of not too many kids, plenty of places to eat and bits and pieces to do if you don't want to sit by the pool / beach all day. Its handy having its own 'airport' and their is an abundance of boats leaving from Hamilton for tours etc.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
If your on a moderate budget get a boat back to the mainland, cairns or port douglas. Modarate budget and Whitsundays does'nt fit in the same sentence.

There's very limited accom within the Whitsundays that is self contained, and the meal prices to go out is ridicules. Some islands have more than one place to eat but if you reserch it a bit more you'll find out only one opens per night.
When i say ridiculas i mean prices like $100 per head.

Im sure some might not think it's expensive but if your on a moderate budget this isn't the place to go.

I'd be checking all of this before you plan anything.

Good luck man and enjoy where ever you end up.
a boat to cairns or port from the whitsundays would be a 800km boat trip

i think you mean back to airle which is what i would do, there are heaps of places to stay in airle.. club croc is pretty cool, last time we went down we rented a unit for 2 weeks.. you'll have fun anywere you are down there..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

On a yacht.

Pay about 300 - 1000 per night for anything up to 12 people on a bareboatcharter.

AWSOME fun.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

hamilton wasn't too badly priced ... and there's a lot of food places around to eat ... some more expensive than others. But most restaurants were nowhere near $100 a head ... unless you like to eat enough to make you sick.

Last time I was there was September last year on my honeymoon ... and I stayed at The Beach Club ... but have had a look at the Reef View ... and it was pretty decent as well.

Gold carts FTW too.

For 3 days ... you won't get bored.

I suggest the trip out to Whitehaven Beach as well ... the sands are the whitest I have seen ever.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

I live on Hamilton Island, its not a bad spot, plenty of boats to the mainland or indeed to other islands, but you can also catch the boats from airlie beach so you can quite easily base yourself from there and do day trips out to the various islands.

Hamilton is the biggest/most developed of all the options and offers plenty of activities, getting around is pretty easy with buggy hire or the free shuttles they run too, pretty wide variety of activities and food is reasonably priced though as always there are exceptions to that rule

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stayed at the Beach Club at Hamilton for a week - bloody awesome is all I can say...

Would love to go to Hayman, but very pricey.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
I booked some cheap flight to Hamilton for 3 night in Feb. Now I don't know where to stay. Hamilton or get a shuttle to another island. I'm on a Moderate budget. I don't mind spending a bit, But everything seems quite expensive. Hayman looks nice but I've read some terrible reviews. We are mid 20's couple and don't want to be around too many kids. Any Advice, Cheers
We stayed at long island and quiet liked it, tho the beaches were a bit rocky, meals were included in our stay (very happy with the food) so can't say about food prices.

Or you could hit up Donut King for some space in his lounge room lol haha

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
TZENU
XY Driv3r

If your not keen on Hamilton Hayman or even Brampton islands are beautiful and moderately priced.
Then there are the exclusive islands; Bedarra and Lizard oh how i wish i could afford to spend 7 nights in a Pavillion on one of those islands!