Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Mackman

Default any thoughts appreciated

took my au xr8 in for service and pink slip friday at ford dealer...and they tell me failed coz "excessive free play due to wear-steering shaft coupling" $450 and "excessive free play of wheel greater than 6mm at the rim or 3mm at a component-left outer toe link" $250.

when he told me over the phone he mentioned "tie rods" need replacing or fixing and it wasnt covered under my extended 3yr warranty...i dont know a lot about cars so im not sure wheather i can trust them, i cant really afford it anyways...when i got home this arvo i looked in the parts covered section of my service book and covered are 'tie rod ends'

do tie rod ends and left outer toe links have anything in common?

im not really sure what im actually asking, just very dissapointed coz i only bought the car from them 6mnths ago and have had it in twice to be fixed under the 3mth initial warrenty...fair? im not sure...i have only driven it 4000 k's since i bought it, never ripping it around corners or anything...i really dont think i caused this...i think it may have already been like that when i bought it and they are just stinging me for it now...

what do you think?

Old 29-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
3vXT

I'd take it to a smaller mechanic and get them to check it out. What kind of extended warranty do you have? Who is it through?
Old 29-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
2smooth
xygtho

to be sure take it to atleast 2 other places and see what they say. Allways better to get a second opinion seeing as your not to confident on working on your own car.
Or better yet tell them that you are taking it to a mechanic friend who will do the work cheaper and see what they say
Old 29-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

How about reading the responses here....... :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11196324
Old 29-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Duplicate thread.
Closed Thread