Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
XR8putts

Angry iPod Touch

Well having recently dropped my trusty 30gb Video (and buggering it) - I went out and forked over a rediculous ammount for the new iPod touch, mainly because I wanted flash memory (not harddrive like the old video). It's very sexy indeed.

But one problem (one huge sodding problem) - It appears that Apple have taken away the option of using it as a mass storage device. Being a uni student, I use this feature almost everyday.

What gives? Or am I just blind? Apple manages to me off yet again.

XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

mate screw ipod, i changed to creative and its like an 80gig usb. No converting music, better sound, cheaper, doesn't break, more user friendly. best of all plug it in and put whatever you want straight on.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
FITZY469
Starter Motor

Another vote for Creative here!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thing was happening to my brothers nano. iTunes has a setting you have to disable that hides the device once you've plugged it in. If you connect it to a pc without iTunes installed it should work like normal.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Same thing was happening to my brothers nano. iTunes has a setting you have to disable that hides the device once you've plugged it in. If you connect it to a pc without iTunes installed it should work like normal.
I know about this setting, but they've got rid of it. The salesman (14yearold boy) did tell me I could use it as a USB drive like iPods in the past. Google tells me otherwise. Now that I've taken the item out of all the fancy Apple packaging and shrink wrap - I wonder how JB HiFi would feel about changing it for the iPod Classic (Read: Video).

It sucks because everything else about the Touch is awesome. :
Old 06-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

if the sales kid told you something about the product that you specifically asked for and bought it for that reason, take it back and tell them, surely they'd offer to exchange it.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

If they dont take it back and swap, and you used your credit card, dispute the transaction as failure to deliver as detailed
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I know about this setting, but they've got rid of it. The salesman (14yearold boy) did tell me I could use it as a USB drive like iPods in the past. Google tells me otherwise. Now that I've taken the item out of all the fancy Apple packaging and shrink wrap - I wonder how JB HiFi would feel about changing it for the iPod Classic (Read: Video).

It sucks because everything else about the Touch is awesome. :
Being an owner of a 60GB iPod, the fact you can also use it as a storage device is exceptionally useful, so I hear you. I'm shocked to learn that the touch doesn't offer that feature. I'm sure somewhere down the line the OS will either be modified by Apple or hacked by someone smarter than I.

Beyond that, what makes the touch awesome? I'm not that gadgety and happy to have a device that can store, play back mp3 and have the ability to bookmark, but what features does the touch have over your plain old iPod?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Being an owner of a 60GB iPod, the fact you can also use it as a storage device is exceptionally useful, so I hear you. I'm shocked to learn that the touch doesn't offer that feature. I'm sure somewhere down the line the OS will either be modified by Apple or hacked by someone smarter than I.

Beyond that, what makes the touch awesome? I'm not that gadgety and happy to have a device that can store, play back mp3 and have the ability to bookmark, but what features does the touch have over your plain old iPod?
I Googled it, and a hack does exhist for Macs, not PCs yet.

The new touch has Wifi and the fairly decent screen size makes it worth while. It also has a decent internet explorer - at uni we have free student wireless broadband so this is very useful to me in boring lectures. It's a massive step up from the traditional iPod. Oh and it has a YouTube function; can't beat that in boring lectures! I suggest you take a look at one to understand the difference; I actually went into the store to buy the new iPod "classic" (Video), and had a play with the Touch and was sold, even though it was a few hundy more.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I Googled it, and a hack does exhist for Macs, not PCs yet.

The new touch has Wifi and the fairly decent screen size makes it worth while. It also has a decent internet explorer - at uni we have free student wireless broadband so this is very useful to me in boring lectures. It's a massive step up from the traditional iPod. Oh and it has a YouTube function; can't beat that in boring lectures! I suggest you take a look at one to understand the difference; I actually went into the store to buy the new iPod "classic" (Video), and had a play with the Touch and was sold, even though it was a few hundy more.
Didn't know it had Wifi, that's pretty neat.. thought that was only an iPhone ability. If they do sort out the storage issue, I'll certainly consider one when it comes time to ditch my 60GB'er. You'd think with Wifi, being able to use iPod as a storage device would be a given.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Well having recently dropped my trusty 30gb Video (and buggering it) - I went out and forked over a rediculous ammount for the new iPod touch, mainly because I wanted flash memory (not harddrive like the old video). It's very sexy indeed.

But one problem (one huge sodding problem) - It appears that Apple have taken away the option of using it as a mass storage device. Being a uni student, I use this feature almost everyday.

What gives? Or am I just blind? Apple manages to me off yet again.
Mass storage device? besides music, photo, video what else do you store?
excuse my technoligy disability. but i have the 80g and thats all i thought you could store. :

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Or you could just buy a $20 1gb usb flash drive for your uni stuff. im sure it couldn't be that much of an inconvenience.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
excuse my technoligy disability. but i have the 80g and thats all i thought you could store. :
I do Architecture at Uni, it's not uncommon to have renderings, photoshop files, photographs that are 1gb each.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
It's a very handy portable hard drive that doesn't require a power supply. I keep a whole bunch of ISO's and support files that I need for work on there.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
I do Architecture at Uni, it's not uncommon to have renderings, photoshop files, photographs that are 1gb each.
architecture student here as well mate, and i kno what ya mean ;). I got an iRiver which supports microSD cards, plus supports heaps more formats than the pods. it hasnt given up on me yet but always buy a spare usb drive just in case.
Ipod's are abit overrated i think.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #16
Franky
Bring back the Phase

yeah the classic looks to me like a better bang for you buck bargin atm.

160GB ipod is awesome and like all things is going to have fanboys and haters. I've had 2 ipods, a creative and an iriver and the only thing I dislike about my ipod is having to use itunes to update instead of drag and drop. It's an inconvience but in a way it's also useful so I take the good with the bad.

I like the iphone and the itouch clone, but I think it's too early to buy and until they iron out the bugs and the hacks start coming out i'll wait till christmas till my phone contract runs out. hope it works out for you, i've seen some videos of it working and it looks like the gadget of the future
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
yeah the classic looks to me like a better bang for you buck bargin atm.

160GB ipod is awesome and like all things is going to have fanboys and haters. I've had 2 ipods, a creative and an iriver and the only thing I dislike about my ipod is having to use itunes to update instead of drag and drop. It's an inconvience but in a way it's also useful so I take the good with the bad.

I like the iphone and the itouch clone, but I think it's too early to buy and until they iron out the bugs and the hacks start coming out i'll wait till christmas till my phone contract runs out. hope it works out for you, i've seen some videos of it working and it looks like the gadget of the future
While I could be arsed doing it, you don't need iTunes to update songs on your iPod. If you're running Windows, Windows Media Player can sync to an iPod as well.

There's also 3rd party software you can install on the iPod and dual boot to it if you wish. Rockbox (from memory) was one of those.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
V8ADZ

The best MP3 brand out at the moment would have to be SAMSUNG.
They use flash memory - but dont have the large capacity products like the opposition which is their only downside. but if 8 gig is enough for you iw ould highly reccommend the SAMSUNG products.

THe new T10 is out very soon and will be an Ipod Nano KILLER.

just my 2c guys
V8ADZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The iPod Touch and Nano both also use Flash memory...

I have no issues at all with itunes or any of my/my GF's iPods.. but then I have heard the OSX version of itunes is much better than the Winblows version...

I assumed the Touch could be mass storage as well.. weird how it isnt seeing both my new Classic and my GF's new Nano have the option.

Are you sure you've checked the box saying use as a mass storage device?
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
V8ADZ

Guess who Apple buy their flash memory from.....
V8ADZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #21
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the new gen ones actually have Toshiba flash memory in them, though some have been seen with Samsung chips still
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #22
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

My PalmOne was cheaper new, and does eveything the ipods does and more !. I dont even know why you would bother with ipods ?????????

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll sell ya a 30GB ipod video cheap!

I bought 1, only used it long enough for the battery to go flat about 3 times and its sat in my glovebox ever since. I've got an IPAQ and a couple of big SD cards with music and videos, it has tom tom GPS maps and reciever, and does a million other things my ipod doesnt. Also got an N95 so ipod was just more of a pain in the *** for me. Just another thing to carry, another charger, blah blah blah blah blah.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post