Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Vines5161

Wink Buying a LR Zetec

I am thinking about buying an '03 LR Zetec. I have noticed that any for sale say Premium Unleaded for fuel. Is this correct or can they run on standard unleaded?? I would prefer the 3 door. Is there anything that I should watch out for? I have watched several episoded of "Top Gear" and they give the old Focus the thumbs up as an excellent handling car.

Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
tabaccs

They do run on 95+ Premium Unleaded.. But I'm pretty sure that you can alternate between normal unleaded and premium unleaded on say a tank by tank basis (don't quote me on that but I've heard of people doing it), but in the end it's only going to save you a couple of dollars at the bowser.. I always run mine on premium and in the end its better for the engine..

In regards to the handling side, it's a little ripper.. The only front wheel drive car I've driven that loves a little lift off over steer through a tight bend and its amazing how the thing sticks to the ground with a good set of tires.. Its soo much fun!!

All in all i think its a fantastic little car, and I'm sure a lot of the guys on this forum will agree however it could to with a little more power... I haven't had any major problems as yet but I'm sure you'll find out if there are any in a few posts..

All the best,

Adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Mick K.

Its a great car. Don't expect your average Ford service department to know anything about the Focus though!

I've only ever used 95 or 98 RON petrol. If you use 91 to save money you will probably find that economy will suffer to make this uneconomical anyway.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
BlackLS

Just remember, its not recommended you run petrol with ethanol in the LRs.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The fuel burns to quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vines5161
I would prefer the 3 door
3door are hard to find these days man.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Apparantly on the LR, you can run 5% ethanol, but most ethanol blended fuel is 10%, i think the Vpower racing extreme? (100RoN) is 5%, but its 15 cents per litre more.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

get the ST170 mate... they are great and a step above the Zetec's... there are some good ones on carsales.... some are going for 18k up to 22k....

alot of them have good milage as in about the 50 area and have been kept in good nick....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You are a smart man indeed to look at the LR Focus!

The Zetec is tuned for 95 ron fuel, and I wouldn't run it on less.

And I agree, keep your eye out for an ST170. Going for great value prices. About 20% more powerful again than the Zetec....and they only come in 3 doors

If you find something advertsised you like the look of, post it up. Everyone here is happy to give an opinion ( even those who don't know what they are talking about!!!!)LOL
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Talldude

i own one they are great. ive kept it for longer then i thought i would and i dont think i will get rid of it anytime soon.

if you want more power theres a turbo kit.........
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there is also a Supercharger kit for the st170!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
there is also a Supercharger kit for the st170!
Cough Cough

http://www.steedafocus.com/store/p103/Powerworks-Supercharger-Kit---'03-'04-Zetec/product_info.html
Old 29-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
FRA
Mr Focus

that supercharger won't fit on a SVT as the manifold are different on the Zetec and SVT
GO HERE
http://www.focussport.com/supercharger.htm
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 29-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #13
Vines5161

Yes the ST170 does look trick. Insurance may be a killer. Are you finding that parts and servicing are a problem. Can someone post some pics of the interior of an ST170 please. I have only seen pics of the outside. What are the differences between the ST and the Zetec apart from the extra go?????
Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vines5161
Yes the ST170 does look trick. Insurance may be a killer. Are you finding that parts and servicing are a problem. Can someone post some pics of the interior of an ST170 please. I have only seen pics of the outside. What are the differences between the ST and the Zetec apart from the extra go?????
Traction Control as Standard,
Body Kit as Standard
Extra Gauges (Oil Temp/Pressure)
Headlights have black surrounds
Interior is a lil different..
Bigger Brakes,
(slighty :P) better suspension
Better looking Foggies
Hot 17's Spoked Rims

Is all that worth an extra 5-8 grand..??

Yer..
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
whippet_zetec
Supes

LR Focus - I have one, reliable (havent had any major issues so far except for a clutch destruction at 4,000km on the clock). Best car I have owned and wont look at getting rid of it for a while yet, running on 4 years old for me now, nearly the longest I have owned a car.

The Zetec does run on 95RON as stated by all above, however I run mine on the 98ROn as its more available around where I am. YOU CAN run your Foci on the lower RON stuff you just wont get the zip of the Zetec.

Any issues to watch for. All LR Foci can chew through brake pads, known issue but nothing serious enough to stop you from looking at the car. Fuel sender card can play tricks (ie shows empty when you know your tank is full).

Apart from that the LR Foci that made it out to Australia are a couple of generations old so most issues are well and truly ironed out in the production line. Unlike to LS :P
Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
Zetec_170
Zetec_170

I find my LR to be Very fussy with fuel, I have found BP Ultimate to give me the best performance (Better than Optimax). Fuel is one thing you can never comprimise on. If you run a fuel with less than 95 Octane you risk doing damage to the engines bore due do the Knocking effect. Anyone who uses regular on a modern 4 cylinder is asking for trouble in the long term. Ethanol promotes corrosion within your fuel system so I would stay away from it.
2002 3 Door Zetec Coupe, 18" BMS Multispokes, Sports Muffler, Kingsprings, Wings West Avenger 4 Piece Body kit, and an ST170 write-off which will be donating its Brakes, interior, suspension and gearbox to my Zetec.
Zetec_170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec_170
Ethanol promotes corrosion within your fuel system so I would stay away from it.
Mmm..didnt know that...but yeah I agree I find BP ultimate the best fuel out there

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #18
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
Mmm..didnt know that...but yeah I agree I find BP ultimate the best fuel out there
You sure about that.
Would you like some 95 with your 98 to go with that....LOL
Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
You sure about that.

Yeah in my experience...I might be wrong too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Would you like some 95 with your 98 to go with that....LOL
What do u mean?

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

This is a gud 1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YOU-HAVE-BEEN...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #21
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
Yeah in my experience...I might be wrong too..
What do u mean?
Didn't you watch today tonight last night, this guy who owns 6 BP ST is putting in 95 octane in there 98 octane pump.
I must be to old on this forum for watch the news.