Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
bertis

Default turbo trans cooler question

dunno if this has been covered before but sorry if it has i'm just trying to get the car ready to drag on the weekend :P.........
i've got a fairly decent btr box that I want to take good care off so i've just bought a low pressure trans cooler and I dont know if its a better idea to run it on its own..... or have the radiator oil cooler in series with it.... is it better to have it cooler or more flow?? how well does the standard cooler flow??

Cheers
Brett.

EB series 2, Vixen red with blue perl, custom body kit, lowered, sweet custom interior :hihi:, ported head chambers, T3/t4 hybrid turbo, log manifold, intercooler, vortech 12:1 rising reg, Walbro 255, thermo fans, redback exhaust, 3.45 LSD,Stage 2 BTR95le built by DTM, pioneer 680MP, 2x pioneer 450w subs, response class D 820w amp
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car
Standard FG XR6T with Cobalt gauges so far.

12.85@109mph on STD boost
bertis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

run it on its own.. the radiator water runs too hot to cool a btr properly.

Bypass the radiator, run the lines directly to the cooler which sits in front of the radiator.

Is it a big cooler?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
bertis

280x220x19mm its called long tru cool lpd.. I can probably get hold off another trans cooler and run 2 of these if its not big enough??
EB series 2, Vixen red with blue perl, custom body kit, lowered, sweet custom interior :hihi:, ported head chambers, T3/t4 hybrid turbo, log manifold, intercooler, vortech 12:1 rising reg, Walbro 255, thermo fans, redback exhaust, 3.45 LSD,Stage 2 BTR95le built by DTM, pioneer 680MP, 2x pioneer 450w subs, response class D 820w amp
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 14-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd_eb2
I've just bought a low pressure trans cooler and I dont know if its a better idea to run it on its own..... or have the radiator oil cooler in series with it.... is it better to have it cooler or more flow??
Cheers
Brett.
Run it by its self as the radiator water only keeps the trans fluid hot/warm

You say low Pressure ... you had better try it first ..
Hook it up and start your car. When the fluid starts to flow Time it..
IT MUST FLOW MORE THEN 1 LTR IN 15 SECONDS
If it does not then the trans cooler is no good for your auto and will course trouble for you.
A 4sp auto is High Flow and flows 1ltr within 15sec
A 3sp auto is Low Flow and flows 1ltr within 45sec
Old 14-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Run it by its self as the radiator water only keeps the trans fluid hot/warm

You say low Pressure ... you had better try it first ..
Hook it up and start your car. When the fluid starts to flow Time it..
IT MUST FLOW MORE THEN 1 LTR IN 15 SECONDS
If it does not then the trans cooler is no good for your auto and will course trouble for you.
A 4sp auto is High Flow and flows 1ltr within 15sec
A 3sp auto is Low Flow and flows 1ltr within 45sec
good information there, thanks
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 14-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
sexr6tasy
Banned

Id hook it up to the internal radiator then the outside cooler the theory being it warms up to operating temp quicker which is better for your trans but is also kept at a constant cooler temperature thats what i was told anyway.
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexr6tasy
Id hook it up to the internal radiator then the outside cooler the theory being it warms up to operating temp quicker which is better for your trans but is also kept at a constant cooler temperature thats what i was told anyway.

correct. running your trans cold (especially on 0deg days!) aint gonna be good for it. run it thru the radiator, but make sure its relatively new. the main reason people bypass them is to avoid them bursting and making a nice coolant/transfluid soup.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Listen to trick_xd on this one! you don't want to be blowing a trans because of a low flowing cooler.

Definitely bypass though - the trans cooler lines have a habit of breaking down in the radiator over time resulting in coolant in your trans and trans fluid in your coolant....not good!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
bertis

well I decided to run it through the radiator simply because its fairly new.... thanks for the info guys...... I got probably 1.3 litres in 15 seconds so cheers trickxd for that info.....
the way it was setup before was dodgy as..... i'm not surprised this thing went through so many transmissions.... it was going through the trans cooler and then back into the radiator before going into the transmission and the lines where doing some nasty bends..... I didnt flow test the old way.... but it wouldnt have been good..... the trans feels a little better on shifts now too..... so glad this got mentioned in a previous thread ....

cheers
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 15-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Christiaan

i talked to the brake and clutch guy at work today, and he was saying you want the oil to warm, not hot. You should run it in series with the radiator, so that the oil is at operating temperature, and then goes to cooler to be cooled a little bit .. then back to transmission.

You don't want to bypass the radiator, cos otherwise the oil will become sludgy as it's too cold..

I drive a manual, but if i had an auto, it'd have a cooler shoved on right away!
Old 15-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
trick_xd

if you want to keep it hooked up through the radiator and cooler then do it this way..

from trans to the radiator from radiator to cooler back to trans.

a lot of the times when running the 2 different coolers (radiator & cooler) the radiator where the trans hoses go onto will weep. to get around this most times just use 2 hose clamps on the 1 end of the hose.
put your trans cooler in front of the radiator but dont let the 2 touch as after a while they will rub together and make a hole in one of them.

hope it all works out for you

Cheers
Old 16-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #12
bertis

done guys..... cheers...... will see if its any better at heathcote today
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 16-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
steven95falc

Hey Brett hows ya go mate ? all running okay ? What time did you get yourself ?
Cheers,
Steven
steven95falc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
bertis

I got a 13.10 lol...... pretty good for a turbo setup with a stock computer and a rising reg......
I won the fastest forced/nos award ..and was the fastest car there which I really wasnt expecting.. a typhoon was giving me a good run for my money..... coming awefully close to it.....
I got it real late in the day when it was colder but it finished at 4 and at about 5 it had really dropped in temp so prob could have got into 12's if it kept going little longer.....

auto was in top form..... my tyres gave me trouble... couldnt launch with any boost... I could sit their with about 5 pounds but as soon as the handbrake went down it just lost it
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 16-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
trick_xd

well done 13.1 is a great time forced ..

I want to get to the 13.0 or at best a 12.5 when I hit the bottle in the next few mths.
What speed did you get to ?
Old 16-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
bertis

thanks mate... not much money or time has gone into the mechanical side of this car yet so it was surprising for me and my mates :P... made a good day

105.4 which is strange because I got a 105.8 and ran a 13.4...... but sorta makes sense if I think about the different sort of starts I got..... really struggled with traction unfortunately.....

13.0 n/a????
I remember u got mid 13's or something that amazed me at the fordforums drag day...

nos + turbo hehe.... why not....
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 16-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #17
Christiaan

i'd be stoked with a 13.1 for a daily turbo. that's an awesome time.

Maybe grab some slicks for next meet? I'm not sure if BTR's can handle trans brakes so you can boost it up on the line?

A good launch with traction will see you in the 12's with 105mph ..

good luck with it!
Old 16-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
trick_xd

yer I got a high 13 at the last drag day at 105mph
working it out at a perfect run that mph should see us in a 12.5

Have you thought of a brake lock off ..
I have 1 fitted to my car .. I lock off the front brakes that way I can stall up till I spin the wheels .

its just a ball valve in-line at the brake booster the I turn and lock off the front brakes... if I was to do it again I would mount it in the car or at least up through the floor.