Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Morgz88

Default Falcon AU Stalling when in Reverse

Hey Guys, great forum, am loving it.

I have a Falcon AU Forte 2000 auto.

Just recently, it has started stalling when put into reverse gear.

Only happens first thing in the morning, once normal temp is achieved it doesn't stall but is still a bit humpy when put into reverse. Drive is also a bit humpy at idle but is not stalling.

Seems like it has a little more pull when in drive and reverse too, as in it rolls a bit faster on a flat when no brake is applied.

Everything else about the car seems fine as far as power and performace is concerned (maybe getting 20-30kms less milage per tank).

Anyone experienced anything similar or might know what the cause of this may be?

Thanks in advance.

Morgz.

Last edited by Morgz88; 07-05-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Morgz88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Morgz88

Exclamation Confused

Are there any forum rules regarding first posts that I may be unaware of?

Can't help noticing this is the only post that hasn't had a reply.

Sorry.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgz88
Are there any forum rules regarding first posts that I may be unaware of?

Can't help noticing this is the only post that hasn't had a reply.

Sorry.
Welcome. Despite no replies to your question, you will find plenty of useful info on this site, and no, there are no rules regarding first posts. Actually, in terms of first posts, it's unusually good, in that it's seeking advice, not abusing someone! :-)

As for your problem, the Idle Speed Control (ISC) Valve controls engine speed at idle, so it could be that. Do a search and you should find a way to clean up the ISC (pretty sure this is another of GK's How-Tos).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how long has it been since the trans was serviced? if it has been serviced that is, try getting a flush done, while they are at it let them know what is happening and see what they reckon...some solenoids or other parts in the box may need replacing
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah sounds like the idle speed is off to me, best to check the Idle Speed Controller.

Does have the aircon off or on make any difference

Quote:
Seems like it has a little more pull when in drive and reverse too, as in it rolls a bit faster on a flat when no brake is applied.
Thats nothing special, the reverse gear is shorter than first, so thats standard AU fare.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Morgz88

Default Thanks

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

@Fairlane, cant say whether there is a difference with aircon on, as I dont use aircon first thing in the morning and it wont stall once the car is warm. Also regarding the extra pull I mentioned, it seems to only pull more since the stalling started and rolls faster on a flat when not braking.

@bodes-sh, not sure when trans was last serviced, only had the car for a year.

@JC, does the temperature of the car have any effect on the ISC, the stalling in reverse only happens when started first thing in the morning? Once the car is warm the stalling stops but is still a little humpy when put into reverse.

Thanks again for the advice guys.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Robe

Are you backing out to begin the journey and so this is when the car first has to deal with waking up cold? Reverse might not be the issue in this case

If do you drive forward for some distance and then the poor old thing starts to stagger when asked to go backwards then there is the relationship with being in R.

The only other thing I can think of is the ignition lock-out that protects us from starting in gear playing up some how.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess a way to determine whether it is reverse or not that is playing up would be to reverse the car in the night before? that way see if it does it driving forwards in the morning...lately mine has been stalling when first started in the morning, i think the fuel pump is on the way out causing this
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Morgz88

Thanks for all replys again.

Yes its when backing out first thing in the morning that it stalls, and its only when I hit the break to put it into drive that it stalls, but its only just started doing this.

Now it seems to be trying to stall when put into drive, but ONLY when the car is cold.

2 weeks ago it had no problem like this, would simply back out nicely then go into drive with no problem and was running smooth.

Fuel pump hmmm....... now you mention it, it seems to be making a much louder buzzing sound than it used to, maybe i'll pop it out and give it a clean and see how it goes.

Thanks again all.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
@JC, does the temperature of the car have any effect on the ISC, the stalling in reverse only happens when started first thing in the morning? Once the car is warm the stalling stops but is still a little humpy when put into reverse.

Thanks again for the advice guys.
Yes, when the car is cold, more fuel is dumped in so that it will run OK. That means it needs more air too, I guess, so if the ISC is a little dicky, or stuck anywhere, it may not open up enough to allow more air to travel through, which is causing your stalling issues. As the car heats up, the mixtures lean off a bit, requiring less air so the problem wouldn't be as bad once hot/warm.

It's quick and easy to clean the ISC so I would be checking that first.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
Morgz88

Default Thanks JC

Hey JC, you say it's quick and easy to clean the ISC, any chance you could tell me exactly where it is located?

Have done a search but unable to find the location of the ISC.

I am sure as soon a I see it I will be able to work out how to inspect and clean it, just not sure where to look.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

right on top of the throttle body, it's a silver can looking thing with a wire coming out the back of it
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hey JC, you say it's quick and easy to clean the ISC, any chance you could tell me exactly where it is located?

Have done a search but unable to find the location of the ISC.

I am sure as soon a I see it I will be able to work out how to inspect and clean it, just not sure where to look.

Thanks.
Here you go - follow the directions in this link:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

Old 14-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
Morgz88

Thumbs up Thanks all

Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered advice.

Cleaned the ISC as JC mentioned and it has helped somewhat, car isnt stalling anymore but still humpy in reverse and drive, I can live with that for now.

Have also noticed that pumping the brake or turning the wheel slightly seems to make the idle speed drop for a second or two then return to normal. Seems like it affects the vacuum in the manifold. Is this normal?

Thanks again

Morgs.

Last edited by Morgz88; 14-05-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 14-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered advice.

Cleaned the ISC as JC mentioned and it has helped somewhat, car isnt stalling anymore but still humpy in reverse and drive, I can live with that for now.

Have also noticed that pumping the brake or turning the wheel slightly seems to make the idle speed drop for a second or two then return to normal. Seems like it affects the vacuum in the manifold. Is this normal?

Thanks again

Morgs.
No, that's not normal. Check the inlet manifold bolts - they tend to work loose and create an air leak. The ISC would try to compensate for it, but can only do so much. Also check PCV hoses and MAP hose to ensure these have not come loose creating a vacuum problem - though I would expect your symptoms to be worse if it was one of these loose. I reckon the inlet bolts are the go.