Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
hoich

Default What to look for when buying EL Fairmont Ghia

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 1996 EL Fairmont Ghia. Is there anything I needed to look for when inpecting vehicles? Any know problems?

Also if anyone has one and would be interested in a AUII XR8 let me know. As my XR8 is for sale.

Thanks,

Hoich

Old 26-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

The only real specific EF/EL Fairmont/Ghia problems are with the power windows, climate control module and blend door motor.

The power windows have a tendancy to come out of the tracks when they get old, some silicone spray will help this. The window regulator cable often snaps when the window is hard to wind up too.

Check that the CC blows out cold air when set to cold and hot air when set to hot. If the air temp doesn't change, there's a fair chance the blend door motor needs replacing, which is about $170 from Ford, plus the dash needs to come out. The buttons on the CC unit can be hard to push sometimes too.

Apart from that, it's just the usual E-Series things, like head gasket if it's an I6, BTR trans, worn LSD, rear bushes, front control arm bushes (although EF/EL's have bigger bushes which generally last) fuel pump and warped front brakes.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Aaron has pretty much said it all mate. If the car is in good condition in the interior and the exterior is straight it should also help make up your mind of how the car has been treated.
But yeah check all the electrics and mechanics. If something is broken, dosent work and badly worn try to get the seller to replace before you buy.
Old 26-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Warped front brakes + 1. They go to crap. Everyone I know with a EL or EF has warped rotors.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Sundeep
Banned

EL Ghia's are the best, buy one.

Both of the ones we've had have been awesome. No problems, no clunks, thumps or overly annoying or hard to find rattles.

The only thing you really need to watch out for is bad leather. Always the driver's seat goes to crap, but if they've been cared for with the right conditioner and the car's have been owned by drivers who way less than 100kg you should be sweet.

The rotors always go to poo. My old lady's one did the front's once in the 30,000km and the rear's needed to be changed when I RW'ed it when I sold it. That thing also did the water pump and coil at around 130km.

The V8 has been fine. Has hit 364,000km and is in pretty good nick for that. Doesn't go too good down low on petrol but flies up high now that I've changed the MAF. That's all it's needed besides the front rotor's pulsing now.

I'll post some pics up.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Sundeep
Banned

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
adumb
FG G6ET

Also check the tint my original factory tint has gone bung on most of the windows and makes it a bit hard to see through. I've had a few other problems with mine, dunno how common they are but I had a worn diff pinion, my 6 stacker stopped working and I had a whole heap of dud bushes too.

You'll be happy with one, great car
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sunny since when did you have two EL Ghias! Also, to fix the leather buy some meguire's leather cream. Get the cream, not the foam, it is the best thing out there.

My leather used to be a bit hard, a bit of this cream (actually I probably used to much) and its soft as; couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Yeah Ive had a pretty good run, nothing major to report. Only problem I see is that there were no T5 ones made :togo:

Although I did just have an injector crap itself, but thats not exactly an EL thing.

If you are interested, im thinking about selling mine so if you are serious PM me.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
TUF.EB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Sunny since when did you have two EL Ghias! Also, to fix the leather buy some meguire's leather cream. Get the cream, not the foam, it is the best thing out there.

My leather used to be a bit hard, a bit of this cream (actually I probably used to much) and its soft as; couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Yeah Ive had a pretty good run, nothing major to report. Only problem I see is that there were no T5 ones made :togo:

Although I did just have an injector crap itself, but thats not exactly an EL thing.

If you are interested, im thinking about selling mine so if you are serious PM me.

The burgundy one was his mum's car, and the gunmetal one is his.

EL's are so dam smooth. Tiga_EL and Sunny's EL both have relatively high KMs, any they drive so damn smooth. Its hard to believe how many KMs they've done sometimes.

Especially Tiga_EL, you would never pick how many KMs that car has done, for the way that it drives.

I'd go an EL anyday, and if its a Ghia, I wouldnt even think twice.
TUF.EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF.EB
The burgundy one was his mum's car, and the gunmetal one is his.

EL's are so dam smooth. Tiga_EL and Sunny's EL both have relatively high KMs, any they drive so damn smooth. Its hard to believe how many KMs they've done sometimes.

Especially Tiga_EL, you would never pick how many KMs that car has done, for the way that it drives.

I'd go an EL anyday, and if its a Ghia, I wouldnt even think twice.
Yeah all very true, I stepped out of 2 EA's and then into the EL; just a bit different..LOL

+1 for turning this thread into "try and convince hoich to get an EL Ghia"..LOL

My baby.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
TUF.EB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah all very true, I stepped out of 2 EA's and then into the EL; just a bit different..LOL
Hahah just a bit!!

But I must agree that the brakes are absolute crap!

Other than that, there pretty maddddd..
TUF.EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, the other guys have said it all pretty well. Great cars if you look after them.
Plenty of good factory parts around to do them up, and even aftermarket stuff.
As far as maintenance/repairs go i havent had that much. A sqeaky tensioner pully, and the ihibitor switch is gone on the gearbox (around $170) (i still havent got around to replacing this though).

Damn i need to get some more photos, all the ones i have are old now (still looks the same though). (XR front and some other bits)

p.s. sunny - i didnt realise your mums ghia was so nice!
Old 27-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #13
MIEF9640

Thumbs up ef fairmont ghia

:evilsasmo Nah definately go the EF ghia mate especially in the sports pack..hahahaha :
MIEF9640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
hoich

Thanks for the info guys.

The one that I am looking at is:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn1162142.aspx

Hoich
Old 27-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoich
Thanks for the info guys.

The one that I am looking at is:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn1162142.aspx

Hoich
Looks like a very nice example, has almost every desireble option and has done bugger all k's.

I'm suprised I have never seen it around, being in my area...

Price is a bit much, but if the condition and the k's are as good as the ad says, then it could be worth spending extra

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

What Sundeep said.

The best cars you can get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
EFFalcon
Last warning

Hoich: did you own an ED?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoich
Hi,

I am looking at getting a 1996 EL Fairmont Ghia. Is there anything I needed to look for when inpecting vehicles? Any know problems?

Also if anyone has one and would be interested in a AUII XR8 let me know. As my XR8 is for sale.

Thanks,

Hoich
Sounds like you are after the kind of swap I just did. Good move. Hope it works out for you a bit better than it did for me - though the car I got is fine, and I did know it had some issues, but some of them are more $$$ than I thought they would be.

From my recent experience check for:
1. Oil leaks at back of motor (rear main seal)
2. Clunks from front suspension - quiet clunks are not too bad, just ball joints etc, but if it's like mine and the replacement of every bush is recommended, you're up for between $800 and $2000 depending on if you do it yourself or not.
3. Head gaskets are a known issue. If it's already been done, then you should be OK. If not, then they usually let go before 150,000km.

Other than that, they are a great car, and very comparable to the AUs in most ways apart from power.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #19
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
From my recent experience check for:
1. Oil leaks at back of motor (rear main seal)
So it was the rear main seal, bugger. Who is going to fix it and how much?
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
hoich

EFFalcon:

I did own a ED Fairmont a few cars ago.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
EFFalcon
Last warning

I remember seeing it at Sorrento.
Years ago ;)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #22
FairmontEL
Driftin shopping trolleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Looks like a very nice example, has almost every desireble option and has done bugger all k's.

I'm suprised I have never seen it around, being in my area...

Price is a bit much, but if the condition and the k's are as good as the ad says, then it could be worth spending extra
A bit much????? it looks immaculate with about every option you could get with bugger all kays... everyone wants everything for nothing these days LOL

My advice mate if u want an el ghia it pays to buy a clean one with all the options u want then waste money on a cheap thrashed one. If i wanted an el ghia again id snap that one up in a sec.. i sold mine for more then this

04 BA XR6T ute
FairmontEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post