Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Isn't yours a custom stall though. I could be worng but i thought you had 3500rpm or whatever stall in it which isn't off the shelf stuff
Yes, mine is custom. They have done quite a few "Non custom" though. Hamo's AU and FRDGRL spring to mind.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #32
AUTickford
XD197

A stall should be matched directly to your camshaft specs.The rpm when your cam starts working means your stall should be as high as that as a minumum,eg-2000-5500 camshaft=22oo stall,2500-6000 camshaft=2700 stall etc you get the idea.You want the stall rpm to be at least the same as when your cam comes in so you dont have to wait for it to wind up and that is the correct way to select a stall.On an engine with a standard cam a 2000-2200 stall is plenty big enough.Any decent engine builder, transmission pro will tell you the same. :
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #33
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
A stall should be matched directly to your camshaft specs.The rpm when your cam starts working means your stall should be as high as that as a minumum,eg-2000-5500 camshaft=22oo stall,2500-6000 camshaft=2700 stall etc you get the idea.You want the stall rpm to be at least the same as when your cam comes in so you dont have to wait for it to wind up and that is the correct way to select a stall.On an engine with a standard cam a 2000-2200 stall is plenty big enough.Any decent engine builder, transmission pro will tell you the same. :
With the I6 at least there is a noticable "kick" at around 3000-3200rpm in the AU's. This is where the standard XR6 cams (at least on my VCT) really came in. It could also be due to the VCT as well, not certain. Either way the dyno backed it up with all the power being up in the 4200-4800rpm range. After the edit the torque had also moved up the rev range quite a bit too.

Old 22-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

i suppose if your talking INSTALLED with the transmission cooler then yeah it would be getting close to 1000, its just blokes like JMM are quoting a fair bit over that aren't they or not, $1000 bucks on their website
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #35
AUTickford
XD197

what i quoted is a rule of thumb but every motor is different.The torque produced by a motor will affect stall speed also.So hopefully someone will get useful info from my post????
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
My auto guy just yesterday was recommending for a stock AU I6 to go for 2,200 stall. He said the biggest mistake people make is to over stall it.

I suspect Casper's car being VCT has a more discernable kick at the revs he described. Others with VCT may be able to confirm this as well.

I was quoted $1000 with the full flush, (he didn't mention an oil cooler though). This was for a very good quality stall with the good bits. A whole changeover box would be $1,550 plus GST not including the stallie.

To do the valve body adn change solenoids was $440 plus $200 for a full flush. Not cheap, but I'm going to have to get the box worked on soon enough, may as well stick in a stallie as well.

I've said this before, that he is sure the AU I6 is stalled for 1,800rpm.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #37
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
If you are really concerned about fuel consumption then hi stalls are probably not for you.
On average I use about 5% more fuel with it (now closer to 10% with the Diff gears).

Performance has a price, usually that price includes reduced fuel economy. Oddly enough though the edit dramatically improved the cars feul economy. A lot to be said for a decent tune.
It's not realy that odd, stock au's run realy rich, the edit leans them out hence better performance and economy. On another not what sort of fuel consumption do you get with the 4.11's I do a bit of highway driving so I'm humming and harring as to what gears to go.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #38
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh man, there are some pretty convincing arguments here! There goes next months loan repayments! I am not too worried about fuel consumption myself, but i just don't want it to become a slug in traffic.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #39
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Oh man, there are some pretty convincing arguments here! There goes next months loan repayments! I am not too worried about fuel consumption myself, but i just don't want it to become a slug in traffic.

Evan

Mine is a fraction doughier right down low than a standard version, but I really only noticed after driving this and my stock EF back to back. It really isn't that noticeable. At all other times the car is much perkier to drive.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #40
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
It's not realy that odd, stock au's run realy rich, the edit leans them out hence better performance and economy.
You missed the sarcasm : Yes, the stock ECU's ran rich and the VCT ECU's took it to a whole new level of pig rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
On another not what sort of fuel consumption do you get with the 4.11's I do a bit of highway driving so I'm humming and harring as to what gears to go.
Not really all that sure, I never really take much notice of it. When its empty I fill up.

I will say that I drove from Shell at Kalkallo with a full tank of fuel all the way to Shepp, did the skidpan day (not exactly fuel efficient.. full throttle or nothing the whole time) and drove home to Werribee with more than 1/4 tank left in it. I was pretty impressed with that economy really.

Old 23-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #41
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

You might be able to tell me, I've got at AU XR8 serries one motor and ECU, the motors been rebuilt and had a tickle up and ECU chipped too, I'm going to have to get a custom converter made up thats a givin', but I've also been told of Limp mode if the stall is out of specs. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Cheers.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #42
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

If you have an edit the Limp Home mode becomes a non issue.

Old 24-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #43
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
If you are really concerned about fuel consumption then hi stalls are probably not for you.
NO WAY I got flogged by a VN 5h!tbox with 3 passengers today, made me so MAD!! I don't care what I have to sacrifice to get some dignity at the lights.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #44
Bundy
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
If you have an edit the Limp Home mode becomes a non issue.

My "edit" is a custom tune by chiptorqe using the j3 chip, is this ok?

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Old 24-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #45
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybloke
My "edit" is a custom tune by chiptorqe using the j3 chip, is this ok?
you would need to talk to Lachlan however my understanding is the J3 can do some auto editing, LHM may be one of them.

Old 24-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #46
Bundy
Donating Member3

ok thanks, I have had the shift points changed, the shift pressure changed, the rev limit changed, Maf edit but torque limiter is still a big issue that has still to be nutted out, but I hear the're still working on it. thanks again.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily