Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Ridin-High

Default Nearly Converted a mate to Aussie cars

Alright where to start.... i got a mate who is looking for a new car, something sporty/speed/styling. He is Asian and has mostly been looking at honda Integra's and other things along those lines.....it has taken months of talking up aussie cars.. now he asked if i can take him to the dealership to check some things out.

Im 20, he is 21... my question is would the dealership let us test drive cars? My friend is pretty serious about getting a new car and it gonna drop some serious coin. Ford Xr6-Turbo and the New holden SV6 / SS are the main ones on the hitlist.

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

He just needs to tell the guy he's serious and that he wants to drive one, just be honest. If I can offer one piece of advice, it's being honest up front and open. That way, the Dealer has less of a chance to think you're a joyrider. A good salesman will qualify him properly and realise he's interested, although naturally he may be a little hesitant at first understandably given your age.

Just be honest. I was a Ford salesman for 6 months and fell for a couple of dud test drivers but would have rather driven five guys with one who was keen to buy than just ignore anyone under 25.
Old 21-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Sporty/speed/styling, he is 20 and you have swayeed him away from 2 door sports coupes to big Aussie family cars? Hey I might be getting old here but that dosn't make much sense to me. I bought a GT as I needed the room AND performance (family and all that), if I was 20 my garage would be filled with a sleek, 2 door lightweight sports car. At that age I only care about 1 passenger and they wouldn't be male. ;-) Why would he need all that extra room and added weight of an SS Commodore over say an S15 200SX or even a nice Monaro or GTS Coupe or even a Pursuit ute if it has to be from the Ford stable. Meh probably get flamed here as over half the people on this forum are probably under 25 and drive 5 door Falcons lol.
Old 21-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Sporty/speed/styling, he is 20 and you have swayeed him away from 2 door sports coupes to big Aussie family cars? Hey I might be getting old here but that dosn't make much sense to me. I bought a GT as I needed the room AND performance (family and all that), if I was 20 my garage would be filled with a sleek, 2 door lightweight sports car. At that age I only care about 1 passenger and they wouldn't be male. ;-) Why would he need all that extra room and added weight of an SS Commodore over say an S15 200SX or even a nice Monaro or GTS Coupe or even a Pursuit ute if it has to be from the Ford stable. Meh probably get flamed here as over half the people on this forum are probably under 25 and drive 5 door Falcons lol.
Yeah I'm 20 and agree that there is not much point getting a big car unless you need it. But then again some people just like big cars.

When I need a big car (if I do ever need one) I will most probably buy an Aussie car.

I could have easily bought an XR6T or XR8 but they are just so damn big a car when I don't need the space and the extra price premium.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah I'm 20 and agree that there is not much point getting a big car unless you need it. But then again some people just like big cars.

When I need a big car (if I do ever need one) I will most probably buy an Aussie car.

I could have easily bought an XR6T or XR8 but they are just so damn big a car when I don't need the space and the extra price premium.
An Impreza is not that much smaller.

If he doesn't need space then buy a ute. I wish I did now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i was to own a ute or a sleek 2 door, there comes an inconvience of only being able to transport say two people comfortably. (i know the two door you could get more people in) My big 4 door, 5 passenger car means i dont have to worry about how many people i can take etc etc. if the guy likes to cruise with his mates, and go out at nights a big car that can seat 5 is maybe what he needs.
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
if i was to own a ute or a sleek 2 door, there comes an inconvience of only being able to transport say two people comfortably. (i know the two door you could get more people in) My big 4 door, 5 passenger car means i dont have to worry about how many people i can take etc etc. if the guy likes to cruise with his mates, and go out at nights a big car that can seat 5 is maybe what he needs.
True but stuff it. I rarely have the car full. And when you are young you move around alot, so a ute is handy.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Suit up :jab:

When they squeeze a big V8 into a sleek 2 door coupe (I know, Monaro and they do look nice but their still big) then I'll buy 1. But If I want V8 Ford product that I can afford, my budget doesnt stretch to a Mustang or a Jag/Aston Martin, then its only a large family sedan (or ute which is just as big anyway).

Im 28 and I still only care about 1 passenger lol. I do agree though, I want to downsize myself and I'd be happy with a prelude or even better a S15 200SX. Dont need a family car for one person.

As far as test drives go, like zetec said, just be honest and show them that you're serious and they would be stupid to throw away a possible sale.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
He just needs to tell the guy he's serious and that he wants to drive one, just be honest. If I can offer one piece of advice, it's being honest up front and open. That way, the Dealer has less of a chance to think you're a joyrider. A good salesman will qualify him properly and realise he's interested, although naturally he may be a little hesitant at first understandably given your age.

Just be honest. I was a Ford salesman for 6 months and fell for a couple of dud test drivers but would have rather driven five guys with one who was keen to buy than just ignore anyone under 25.
Can I ask you how you actually knew they were "dud test drivers" after they drove the car? How do you know these joyriders/test pilots didn't go and drive an SS half an hour later and put a deposit down for one of those?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i have a 2 door fez, yes i know its not a sports car, but i agree. i occasionally have ppl in my car. normally its just me or one mate. but i always know i have the ability to fit 3 more ppl in if need be. i couldnt live with a falcon. its way toooo big and heavy. and insurance on an XR for some1 under 25 is NUTZ!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

The obvious thing for your mate to do his is to test drive a few different cars: XR6T, SS (bugger the SV6!), S15, Integra, WRX, Liberty etc. Whilst I'd love people to be converted to drive a Falcon or some other Aussie muscle, don't push him into one just for the sake of it.

If he loves the torque and style, he might opt for an Aussie sedan. Otherwise if he doesn't care about brand and is after a sports car with an awesome chassis, refinement, build-quality, potential to lay down some serious numbers; you can't go past what most of the Japanese manufacturers have to offer. Of course European would be better again, but then we're talking some serious coin for something equivalent.

/Prepares flame suit.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin-High
Im 20, he is 21... my question is would the dealership let us test drive cars? My friend is pretty serious about getting a new car and it gonna drop some serious coin. Ford Xr6-Turbo and the New holden SV6 / SS are the main ones on the hitlist.
If one is serious about buying a car 99% of they time they can tell a kicker from a serious potential buyer regardless of age.

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 21-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Bitmap

As Zetec said just be honest. That's what I did when I went to buy my V8 ute from Ford. At first I thought will they take me seriously but I phoned the dealer first and told him what I was interested in. After a short dicussion he said pop down and we can talk further and have a test drive. I was straight up with him and he was with me (well as straight up as a car salesman can be :p).
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I understand what everyone is saying here about size and what you need etc.

When I was single, I bought a new Honda prelude with leather, sunroof .. the works. And damn that was a great car. Handled like it was on rails. But occasionally it would be too small, like for golf clubs, an esky etc.

Now that I have the XR, I love the extra room, and nothing compares to a bit of rumble and muscle. My time over again, even if I was single, I'd still go the muscle car. There is just somethig about them.

Also, I rarely have more than one passenger in my car now. But it is nice that if I need it, its there.

My opinion anyway.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

If the salesman is serious about a sale then of course you'll get a test drive, me and a mate, both 17, test drove a few cars on the weekend, ranging from BF XR6's to VZ Calais. Didnt get knocked back on a test drive we asked for. This is me and mate, both 17 wearing casual clothes walking into a dealership asking for a test drive.

He ended up buying a manual BA MkII XR6 with 20,000km on the clock, perfect condition.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
If the salesman is serious about a sale then of course you'll get a test drive, me and a mate, both 17, test drove a few cars on the weekend, ranging from BF XR6's to VZ Calais. Didnt get knocked back on a test drive we asked for. This is me and mate, both 17 wearing casual clothes walking into a dealership asking for a test drive.

He ended up buying a manual BA MkII XR6 with 20,000km on the clock, perfect condition.
Conditions of a test drive are that you leave your Full Drivers License at the dealership, I find it hard to understand why he would even let kids test drive a car....
Old 21-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

I've only ever test driven two cars, one is the car i have (04 futura). The other was an xr6t the other week. I was just looking in the second-hand caryard at a ford dealership while waiting for them to finish my service. I think the salesman was bored, cos we were just talking about what a nice car the turbo's are, and he offered a test drive. He knew i wasn't going to buy one as well, because i told him so.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

some people like 4 doors some dont.. im 23 and am not into the idea of a 2 door!

like my torque too so the xr6t was the perfect car for me! i often have 4 or 5 ppl in my car and hate gettin cramped into mates 2 doors, but thats just me!
Old 21-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
An Impreza is not that much smaller.
Are you on drugs or what :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #20
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOSS
Conditions of a test drive are that you leave your Full Drivers License at the dealership, I find it hard to understand why he would even let kids test drive a car....
Because my mate had the money to buy the car and said he wont be buying it without a test drive, dealer wanted a sale so let him test drive it.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

big cars are not always a waste of space; once 2 people sat in the back seat of my coupe. its only happened once but it may happen again.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regarding the Big car debate: I'm 19 and I would choose an SS or XR6T not because I like the size, but because nothing for the price can match these cars in terms of straight line everyday performance.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only ever had probs with one car yard not letting me test drive a car, so went elsewhere. My mate was a classic. He went to test drive a car and got the cold shoulder. He came back 20 minutes later with a bank balance slip for approx. $120,000 and there didn't seem to be a problem after that, funny about that.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #24
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
My mate was a classic. He went to test drive a car and got the cold shoulder. He came back 20 minutes later with a bank balance slip for approx. $120,000 and there didn't seem to be a problem after that, funny about that.
:

That's gold mate.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Can I ask you how you actually knew they were "dud test drivers" after they drove the car? How do you know these joyriders/test pilots didn't go and drive an SS half an hour later and put a deposit down for one of those?
Good point, I don't know for sure and just because I didn't sell them a car didn't mean they weren't buyers! But you do get a good feeling about some people as to their true intentions, it just doesn't pay to be prejudiced and exclude them based on a feeling alone. It's a tough call and who here hasn't gone for a test drive with no intention of buying at least oncei n their life!