Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Exactly, but what is the etiquette?
I mean, MPG is a term used to describe fuel economy in the USA, and in the USA the gallon is 3.8 litres. So describing a US measure, should we use the US parameters for said measure?
Describing aussie fuel consumption is done in litres per 100klm, so depending on which definition you use there is no really correct unit of measurement in Australia with mpg. Sort of reminds me of that tree falling in the forest thing.
Well if you go to Google and type in '6.3L/100km in miles per gallon," it gives you 37.3 mpg. So according to Google, the US system is the one to use for fuel economy.

And as we all know... Google knows all! :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Missus isn't a lead foot and she has had the Camry for a week, trips to Bunbury etc. Hates the auto , prefers the Fairmont's auto.
From GOOGLE..
Fuel consumption ratings for the four-cylinder are 9.8 litres/100 km (29 mpg) in city driving; 6.57 litres/100 km (43 mpg) on the highway. The V6 delivers 10.7 litres/100 km (26 mpg) in the city; 7.0 litres/100 km (40 mpg) in highway use. Both engines meet ULEV II (ultra-low emissions vehicle) standards
must be something wrong it..tell HERTZ when she takes it back..
Hire cars are thrashed to buggery, they wont do anywhere near what they are supposed to. Campbell a mate of mine, recently came back to melbourne and hired a 2006 Corolla, the thing was shagged, it had 50,000kms on it and the auto was buggered and the steering was loose. Hire cars wont tell you the real story of a vehicle, unless you plan to thrash the pants off of any car u have.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #33
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Driving style can have a great deal to do with it... I can get the FBT down to 13L/100k's around town, my Mrs is stoked if she keeps the average under 20.

With regard to 4cyl economy, 3 weeks ago I got 220k's from a full tank in a 2001 Laser, 100% highway driving. Must be some kind of record.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #34
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
I don't think a 4cyl camry would use more fuel than a V8 Falcon/fairmont. But I heard that it uses more fuel that it's bigger brother, the V6 Aurion...
Got an Aurion for work at the moment, have some interesting (dis)likes to communicate with you.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #35
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well if you go to Google and type in '6.3L/100km in miles per gallon," it gives you 37.3 mpg. So according to Google, the US system is the one to use for fuel economy.

And as we all know... Google knows all! :
And as the rest of us know, Google is an American company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
With regard to 4cyl economy, 3 weeks ago I got 220k's from a full tank in a 2001 Laser, 100% highway driving. Must be some kind of record.
Were you trying to keep up with a Bugatti Veyron?
Old 20-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #36
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez the new Camry has allegedly poor fuel consumption (based on scientific testing by someones wife), therefore = (quite logically) that all 4 cylinder cars have poor fuel consumption.

Gee I better go buy a V8 Fairmont to commute to the city in.

:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #37
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

lol the outlaws were allways hanging **** on my sprint, for being an outdated, gas guzzling V8........ til my stepbrother said how far he gets to a tank....... his 03 camry gets (at best) 550km to a tank...... i'll go another 50-100km on sfa more fuel
Old 20-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Not being part of the US, I would assume that we would use the Imperial measurements. Who knows? I'll stick to the Imperial, that way my figures look more impressive! :P

I thought we were metric mate !

Use Litres per 100 km's and everyone will be happy Lol !!!
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #39
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
My 4cyl (turbo) revs at 2800 at 100 and I get excellent economy both city and highway. I don't drive it like a grandma either. Goes just as good as a 6 or 8 too.

You have to remember that 4cyl's generally aren't in really heavy cars too which sort of voids the engine working hard argument IMO.
True, but I'm comparing a CAMRY with a Falcon, not a WRX

A Camry is only slightly smaller than a Falcon so it's a case of a small engine trying to lug around a big heavy car. That's the main reason why it's fuel economy is so bad. This is also one of the reasons why the 4 cylinder Commodore never took off. Even though the VB/VC Commodores were heaps smaller than the Falcon, they were still too big for a 4 cylinder engine.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #40
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
And as the rest of us know, Google is an American company...
Gee talk about no sense of humour/sarcasm...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #41
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
lol the outlaws were allways hanging **** on my sprint, for being an outdated, gas guzzling V8........ til my stepbrother said how far he gets to a tank....... his 03 camry gets (at best) 550km to a tank...... i'll go another 50-100km on sfa more fuel
I'm all for the V8's, don't get me wrong, but you lot (not picking on anyone in particular here) are seriously deluding yourselves if you think V8's get better fuel consumption than 4 cylinder cars.

In your particular case your petrol tank probably holds an extra crapola load of litres over the Camry or you are comparing highway fuel consumption which is a useless comparison.
Old 20-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #42
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, I still win. 942kms out of $62 of diesel. Or if I go LPG in the Falcon, 418kms for $28.57 :P

Diesel is 1.30 here, so no you dont win :P
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post