Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #61
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The magna is a good car in standard form, and well kept.

But as a modified vehicle, I wouldnt bother.

As jaydee said, no street cred (if thats what your looking for) unless you add a huge donk to it.

But as a run about, a good bus.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #62
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

A few magnas I have seen around are fairly quick!! At wsid I saw a na one run a 15.3 and supercharged on run a 13.8

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #63
MADXR6
Yes i drive a magna

Before i decide to buy my family sized car i drove all the family packed sedans and chosed one, After owning two falcons i said i would never buy one again BUT............................................. I didnt because they are big and **** built. I drove a commodore poor build quailty than the ford but had more balls and wasnt unstable on the road. Then i found the magna and just for the fun of it i drove it and drove it. For a 2002 car being 1 year old when i got it for 17000 with....

ABS,EBD,AIRBAG,TipTronic Transmission, A/C, Power windows, Cruise Control, CD player, Alarm - Immobilser... Thats a Base exec model with the 3.5 155Kw V6.

Im a happy 25 year bloke who is proud to be a owner of a magna, Cause i happy not to be driving a taxi
MADXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #64
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont mind the 4wd ones. my mate picked up an ex cop one. Bloody thing flys and has a mean exhaust note. chews through tyres like a ***** though.

I keep egg'n him on to S/C or turbo it
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #65
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I wouldn't mind the AWD sprintex supercharged version .
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #66
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

they seem to have alot going for it, feature wise and also with the competative price. The 380's with their 5-10 warranty seem to be a good by also. Then again, I havent investigated them that much.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #67
ebfalcon13.5
grey bumperz

my mates verada goes hard!!!
Old 23-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #68
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Why did I join a Magna forum? Because I thought it would be interesting to see what those do to their N/A sixes to make them go quick. Seeing how other makes mod their cars may help me find something that hasn't been thought of for mine. They might learn a thing or two as well.

Thanks to those who liked reading the thread, it's a pretty good read and they have made me feel welcome over there.

I think some of you here are taking your love for Fords way to serious, I absolutely love my Ford and I wouldn't swap it all, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate another make of car. There times may not seem to quick to you but for N/A sixes they go pretty good without to many mods.

I find they are a lot more tolerant of other makes than some of you, some of your comments have been laughable to saty the least. Sure they aren't as quick as a Turbo or XR8, but theay are N/A sixes.

Please just chill out and read the thread if you want to, if you don't, then don't.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #69
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar

I think some of you here are taking your love for Fords way to serious, I absolutely love my Ford and I wouldn't swap it all, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate another make of car. There times may not seem to quick to you but for N/A sixes they go pretty good without to many mods.

I find they are a lot more tolerant of other makes than some of you, some of your comments have been laughable to saty the least. Sure they aren't as quick as a Turbo or XR8, but theay are N/A sixes.

Please just chill out and read the thread if you want to, if you don't, then don't.
I dont think it has anything to do with anyones love of Fords - most people don't like them as they are FWD. FWD does not a sports car make. It is used to save space and to save money. In a large car like a Magna you cant have any sort of decent power running through a FWD set-up and that is the problem.

Add to that they have zero street cred - often see them with rims and lowered with bodykit ect. - do they not realise everyone they drive past is pi$$ing themselves laughing at the tool that thinks their Magna looks cool? Cmon...

Gee all of that and I havn't even mentioned the absolutley pathetic resale - all these people who buy one as they are a bargain - take a good look why - they ain't worth jack after a few years - the dealers rub their hands with glee when you drive away! That sir is my frank assessment.
Old 23-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #70
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
I dont think it has anything to do with anyones love of Fords - most people don't like them as they are FWD.
They did make an AWD model for 3 years. They were also the first Australian built car with a 5 speed auto.

Quote:
Gee all of that and I havn't even mentioned the absolutley pathetic resale - all these people who buy one as they are a bargain - take a good look why - they ain't worth jack after a few years - the dealers rub their hands with glee when you drive away! That sir is my frank assessment.
Yeah their resale is bad, but their resale is generally just as bad as Falcons and Commodores. Additionally, their cheaper than Fords and Commodores to start with, which tends to lower the actual cost lost to depreciation.

For instance, compare an NA XR6 - their going about 35,000 these days, vs a 380, going for about $30,000.

So after three years:
380 at $30,000 with 49% resale = $14,700 (and 49% is probably more toward optimistic)
XR6 at $35,000 with 56% resale = $19,600 (and 56% isn't optimistic as this is what the old 4 speed was, plus it's popular)

BUT the actual cost to the owner of depreciation expense is $15,400 for the XR6 and $15,300 for the 380 - as the XR6 was an additional $5,000 to start with.

Infact for an XR6T to beat the depreciation expense of a 380ES, the XR6T would have to have a resale value of 66% or more.
($46,000 less 380s 15,400 = $30,700. $30,700/$46,000 = approx 66%)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #71
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I think some of you here are taking your love for Fords way to serious, I absolutely love my Ford and I wouldn't swap it all, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate another make of car. There times may not seem to quick to you but for N/A sixes they go pretty good without to many mods."

I think some of you are taking your love for magna's too serious!
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #72
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Why did I join a Magna forum? Because I thought it would be interesting to see what those do to their N/A sixes to make them go quick.
dont take it to heart big fella,i was merely playing with you :

im on all the sites,ricers,racers,holden and ford i DGAFF what website it is im like you i go on to see what they are doing to their rides etc doesnt make us less of a ford fan does it..

both forums are a funny read FFAU just has a better read on it atm seems alot dont appreciate the magnas performance

2003 magna

Vs

Au SR wagon

both have almost identical K's on em and guess who won from start to end ;)

rest my case
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #73
XRchic
Hello

Hmm ok. For those who care, this is what I think. Honestly and with no offence intended for either Magna or Ford owners/enthusiasts.

I love Fords. I will always own Fords. Those on the forums here who know me would never question my love of Fords. All kinds, all models and ages. I could not bring myself to buy a Holden of any kind, not because they are bad, just because....

I seriously doubt I would buy a Camry or a Magna. If I did, it would be an A to B kind of car for necessity much the same as I would buy a small car. For passion though, Ford all the way.

For me, Magnas just do not inspire the passion for ME that Fords do. This is not a judgement on anyone else's taste, but I love Fords because I grew up with them, my Dad raced them as did his father, I love them for their history and what they have brought to Aussie car culture and nothing sounds better than a Ford V8! I also love the V8 Supercar series, with the Holden v Ford rivalry, so that is a big factor for me. The Magna boys may or may not have an interest in the V8s so it is not an issue - all good. But I do, and so do many others on here, so it IS a factor.

I just love the big, grunty Aussie-ness of the Fords. Even the 6s are sort of grunty and "Aussie", if that makes sense... LOL. Im sorry but front wheel drive does not equal "Aussie grunt" even though Magnas are made here, etc, etc... I guess not everyone wants grunt and noise and that sort of feel to a car, but I do.

OK, the Magna. I test drove a VR-X in 2001. The last of that shape before the newer shape one. I actually really liked it. It was quick, the interior was nice (better than an AU, sorry guys) but a little outdated technologically but it was well fitted out and finished. It was a nice thing to drive, it handled well and the gearbox and clutch felt great! It also looked good IMO. It was stylish, the 17s were nice and original, and the colours were good. The interior leather option looked great too.

I didnt like the torque steer when flogging it around the twisty bits though. And that is where it killed me. I love driving my manual through the twisty stuff in the hills and that was a real let down for the car. It was fast enough, but it just felt strange on cornering. If you dont care about that sort of thing, then you would be fine with it. However, I would have far preferred my Dad's AUI Fairmont for handling in the hills at the time...

They also dont sound good - Magnas just dont have a sound at all. I KNOW I drive an NA 6 so mine doesnt sound flash either, but Ford V8s sound awesome, they really do. And I love that. Magnas just dont have any variation that sounds anything like that good and I think that is part of the lack of Aussie grunt image... Again, if you dont care what your car sounds like, then no issue.

I reckon people just like what they like. If you dont care about the sound of the car, what it handles like when you flog it through the hills and you dont want to take it to the strip, then fine, Magnas may be ok. If you want to mod them, clearly they go ok on the strip though, I do note. But seeing a Magna do the 1/4 will never do it for me like watching one of the V8 utes that some of the guys on here own....

Im sorry, but front wheel squealies at the lights also dont do it for me... it is just not the same and it contributes again to that non Aussie grunt image - but again, if you dont want that, then no problem.

But if you have a Magna and you love it, then thats fine. No one should bag someone for the car they own - I have done enough of that over time, and criticised people for their cars or what they have done, and I have tried to become more open minded. It is just a matter of respecting the choice of others and it works both ways.

However, reading this thread, I havent seen anything too judgemental on the part of the Ford guys. In a thread like this, opinions would not just be accepted but expected. Doog, you posted a thread about fast Magnas in a Ford forum, you would have to have known what was going to be said??? You surely could not have expected everyone to respond favourably to Magnas, and their speed, given that it is a Ford forum...

Given the above, I think that the comments on here have been fairly reasonable. A few silly comments, but nothing too insulting. In all seriousness, there is nothing I would consider too offensive on this thread. There is a BIG difference between expressing an opinion that others may not appreciate, to being rude and offensive. A fine line perhaps, but I do not think it has been crossed to a large degree here. Ford drivers generally are not going to really like Magnas all that much, and if asked to comment, that is what they will say.

I dont think it is meant to offend anyone who owns a Magna - it is just that we like Fords because we like different things in cars. People who love their Magnas love them for different things, thats all.

So, Ford guys, maybe we just have to recognise that Magnas are around, they are not the worst cars, they are kinda quick and that their owners have the same passion for them that we do, even though that passion comes from different reasoning and different needs/wants in cars.

Magna drivers, Ford drivers appreciate different things in cars, and when questioned, they will express that. If you choose to ask, then that is the answer you will get. Please dont take if offensively guys, often it is just guys expressing what they think and it is not meant to be anything more than a silly comment perhaps. You could not have really expected anything different, yeah?

Anyway, very sorry again for a long post... but I just thought I would offer my perspective...

Cheers

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #74
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Well you might be in for a surprise, there are a lot of quick Magna's around.

I have been chatting with some Magna owners to see what they are doing with their cars and what times they have run, I thought you guys might like to read this.

So how fast are you Magna's
You really need to put it in perspective. They probably only have 1 or 2 that can run quicker than a 12. How many Fords or Holdens can run quicker than that. Probably hundreds. When a Magna runs quicker than a 10 then i'll be impressed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #75
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Spent some time in a TJ a few years ago. Manual. It was pretty quick, but the gear change was awful - like mixing a bowl of cake mix. Apart from that it was a nice ride.

Spare parts were very expensive. Had to replace a side window and a headlight - can't remember the price but it was really dear. Couldn't recommend them as a used car buy for that reason.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #76
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

yes there very quick. quicker than falcons