Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Default Drag Tag burnout pad

Did anyone happen to catch ACA last night?

They had a story about Drag Tag in Campbellfeild spending $300,000 on a dedicated burnout pad, and charging $15 for a 2 minute burnout in a controlled enviroment.

But of course the local police isn't happy with it and want to shut it down...

IMO this is an excellent gesture by drag tag, in giving a place for people to do these things without endangering other road uses, and yet the police would like to close it.

Proberly because they will loose revenue on the amount of people they won't be able to book anymore, as they are all doing it legally.

Don't want to this to be a cop bashing thread, but it simply defies logic...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Watch the EPA stamp it out

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
holmsy
Banned

yeh the system is screwed. they complain when people do this stuff on the roads beacause its dangerous. and then complain when it is safe
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a bummer when that happens.

I think we need burnout pads. I hate road hooning, so I fully support a legal establishment that is there to allow people to safely engage in this behaviour.

But regarding police, funny how when something is put in to make the streets safer, they still complain!

What the hell do they want?
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given that everything that comes out of ACA's mouth is a load of unsubstantiated alarmist crapola I will reserve judgement...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Maybe their concerned about the state of the tyres and other mechanicals after spending 2+ minutes doing the burnout. ie will the car be roadworthy, bald tyres etc. Other than that i think its a good idea..

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Allen

One thing I do not understand, is that a burnout on the pad at Calder Park, or any other race track's burnout pad is fine, but they have a problem with this burnout pad?

I live about 10 minutes from Campbellfeild, and since Drag Tag has opened, there has been a noticable decline in the amount of stupidity on the roads around here... naturally there are still the odd moron around... but I feel it has made a difference to the local community, in giving these people somewhere to burn rubber.

Noddy, they have a scrutineering station to check general safety... And if you decide to drive home on tyres that you just destroyed, then thats pretty silly... :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 13-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
holmsy
Banned

or if it gives the people more confidence so they go do it on the street anyway.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia

But of course the local police isn't happy with it and want to shut it down...

and yet the police would like to close it.

Proberly because they will loose revenue on the amount of people they won't be able to book anymore, as they are all doing it legally.

Don't want to this to be a cop bashing thread, but it simply defies logic...
Champ, you have written the word Probably, in your post, one would think that fact would be better than a guess, and to go on and say ( with another guess ) it is because they wont be able to book you, is nothing more than gutter talk and shieite stirring.

There would not be a copper alive who would ban something just so they could book the kids, it is just stupid to think that way.

In addition there are many coppers that give up thier free time to help promote safe ways to drive and test your cars.

Is it possible that you can go back and get some facts regarding the post then post these up to allow for a fair and balanced look at what is happening before jumping in to deep with comments that simply hold no weight.?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the smell of burning rubber in the evening.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
yup. that's the issue - noise and emissions from tyre smoke. Noise might be ok if it's in a "remote" area but tyre smoke will put a stop to it.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
kooky
WRX terrorist

Please if you are going to quote an article at least provide an accurate report on it. The Police do not want to close it down, they just won't show support for the idea.

A far cry from closing it down.

It is not a "gesture" by Drag Tag they are charging for the privelage of using their little patch of bitumen, so it's a "see a need fill a need" and make some cash in the long run.
Old 13-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those who are interested, they have burnout sessions at Avalon Raceway, the council or police do not seem to mind it being held there.

February 18th 2007
March 25th 2007
April 29th 2007

Gates open 1.00pm
Burnouts @ 3.00pm
To enter car $35.00
General Admission: Adults $10.00 Children $5.00
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Champ, you have written the word Probably, in your post, one would think that fact would be better than a guess, and to go on and say ( with another guess ) it is because they wont be able to book you, is nothing more than gutter talk and shieite stirring.
Thats because that was my opinion, and my general opinion of the nanny state that Victoria is, where nothing can be done without copping a fine for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky
Please if you are going to quote an article at least provide an accurate report on it. The Police do not want to close it down, they just won't show support for the idea.

A far cry from closing it down.

It is not a "gesture" by Drag Tag they are charging for the privelage of using their little patch of bitumen, so it's a "see a need fill a need" and make some cash in the long run.
They said in the report that they were still deciding if it was legal or not to do burnouts on private property...

Anyway, $300,000 is a pretty big expense of them, for the sake of having somewhere to do these things. $15 per go isn't a lot really... that would have to cover the costs of scruitineering, track upkeep, and the wages of the people running the show... not to mention public liability insurance.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 13-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=bArNsY]For those who are interested, they have burnout sessions at Avalon Raceway, the council or police do not seem to mind it being held there.

I would assume that is because it is not in suburbia.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
They said in the report that they were still deciding if it was legal or not to do burnouts on private property...

Anyway, $300,000 is a pretty big expense of them, for the sake of having somewhere to do these things. $15 per go isn't a lot really... that would have to cover the costs of scruitineering, track upkeep, and the wages of the people running the show... not to mention public liability insurance.
No, I think you will find it's illegal, public or private property.

And lets look at costs, $15 for 2 minutes is the going rate, potentially $450 p/h revenue PLUS $5 per person to spectate, 4 hours 2 nights a week......gesture my ar$e!!
Old 13-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
ONBA1L

What they have proposed to do at Campellfield is a good idea. also why not open up something more local like sandown park like they were supposed to do. its big enough to support that sort of thing. Only downside would be the noise pollution from those who live near by.
having a venue like campellfield is good and all but still once you get on the track all your given is 2 mins and for some people that isnt enough they want more and they have an adrenaline rush which causes them to start going stupid on the main roads.
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
all4ford
XW 351

Its a bit like a few years ago, my parent's tyre business held a burn out event at one of our factory yards with a turn out of about 20 cars and about 100 or so spectators. It was attended to by three different sets of police cars. Two sets of local general duties cops who applauded our efforts to take it off the street and into a controlled environment. The next set of cops was a HWP car and they demanded it cease immediately or they would fine our business for some ridiculous thing.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
XRchic
Hello

LOL @ Drag Tag...... this one wont last long.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

I dont understand that at all. In a recent per ford mag there was an article about the police having that operation drag right xr6 turbo ute, doing burnouts and teaching kids to drag race were as this is illegal ???? weird. I would love to get my car on this thing and give it a go

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #21
arby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
yup. that's the issue - noise and emissions from tyre smoke. Noise might be ok if it's in a "remote" area but tyre smoke will put a stop to it.
A venue like this would be controlled by the council under a planning permit rather than EPA - similar to Sandown & Calder. However, EPA would have issues with most of the modifications to the cars attending...
arby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post