Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #91
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
lol, I didn't realise you were born in 1988, you'll get your chance to live life a bit more and figure out which way is up. I'm done with this one.
Right, so basically now you're saying I'm not old enough to think? I tend to stay out of threads like these because people don't agree with and often can't handle my usually strong opinions on said subjects.

Its easy to call a place the best in the world while totally ignoring all of its negatives and just highlighting the positives. Which is what's going on here.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #92
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are a lot of people so desperate that they pay stupid amounts of money to come across in a hardly sea worthy boat illegally, with detention almost a certainty if it wasn't such a good country?

I for one am very gratefull to be living here. I drive a **** off nice car, live in a nice house and I'm well educated.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #93
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Why are a lot of people so desperate that they pay stupid amounts of money to come across in a hardly sea worthy boat illegally, with detention almost a certainty if it wasn't such a good country?
Australia is one of the most accepting of immigrants countries in the world, that's why. For alot of them its the closest too. And the people doing it are coming from countries with far worse... everything, then the countries we are speaking about. In alot of their cases, almost anything is an improvement.

Boy has this thread deviated off topic...

:
Old 18-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #94
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Australia is one of the most accepting of immigrants countries in the world, that's why. For alot of them its the closest too. And the people doing it are coming from countries with far worse... everything, then the countries we are speaking about. In alot of their cases, almost anything is an improvement.

Boy has this thread deviated off topic...
With the amount of money they spend don't you think they could purchase an airline ticket and overstay their visa in another country?

Yes it is way off topic but at least it is civil at the moment. Almost every topic discussed in life, stems another.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #95
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having just got back from the tennis the problem is others pay for the minorities action, two friends and i went to the tennis today and got treated like criminals everytime we were near security.
We were not dressed in any national colors, just went to enjoy a great event, instead got abused by almost all security, even police seemed to follow us everywhere we went expecting trouble. All of us are of european background so i assume we are all pressumed guity.

Similar situation to the noble park incident, most of those involved in the tennis were also involved in the blockbuster riot, coincidence? dont think so, if they are old enough to vote them they are old enough be responsible for their actions, but that comes down to the government clamping down hard on them, enough of the wrist slapping from them and police etc. Our great city has been shamed enough the last week.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #96
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
With the amount of money they spend don't you think they could purchase an airline ticket and overstay their visa in another country?

Yes it is way off topic but at least it is civil at the moment. Almost every topic discussed in life, stems another.
If they can purchase an airline ticket in the first place, why not one to here?

:
Old 18-01-2007, 01:50 AM   #97
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

It's all well and good to be proud of your homeland, but alot take it too far and adopt the hatred that goes with being of a certain heritage. My background is Croatian, both my parents immigrated here, i speak Croatian fluently, and I'm proud of my heritage. I don't have any hatred against Serbs tho, i have several Serbian friends and i frequent Serbian bars/pubs, and it puzzles me as to why people find it necessary to continue the fighting for something that really has nothing to do with them. I know alot of people who are like this, best way to describe it is Gang warfare.

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #98
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
If they can purchase an airline ticket in the first place, why not one to here?
Well you were the one who said in Australia "there's no real life" So why don't they go elsewhere if that were true?

And as you said "Australia is one of the most accepting of immigrants countries in the world" so it obviously is a pretty tolerant place wouldn't you say?
Old 18-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #99
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moderators... :

This thread has gone off topic and could potentially turn ugly.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:54 AM   #100
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
Moderators... :
: I think this is probably the most civil discussion though on a controversial subject we've had in a while you must admit.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #101
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
: I think this is probably the most civil discussion though on a controversial subject we've had in a while you must admit.
fair enough. This thread has made for some interesting reading i must admit.
Old 18-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #102
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a problem with people being proud of their heritage. Life is more fun that way. What's funner than mocking the pommy/kiwi ex-pats at the cricket? Multiculturalism only becomes a threat when others threaten the Aussie way of life. Did someone say sheikh?
Old 18-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #103
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did someone say sheikh?
Don't get me started on that twit ing_sm
All sane people of that faith would denounce him as their leader.

Free speech is a good thing, too bad too many abuse it.

The England VS Australia and Australia VS New Zealand is light hearted and you would have to be very bored to take it seriously.
Old 18-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #104
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't get me started on that twit ing_sm
All sane people of that faith would denounce him as their leader.

Free speech is a good thing, too bad too many abuse it.
Freedom of speech should be limited to stop the racist crap which he is preaching.
Old 18-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #105
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Freedom of speech should be limited to stop the racist crap which he is preaching.
Should be limited to stop people saying dumb **** altogether not neccesarilly limited to racism. The man is a joke!
Old 18-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #106
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wether we like to admit it or not, I think everyone (including me) has a little bit of racism buried deep down in us - I think it is simply in our (humans) nature stemming back thousands of years. Fortunatly we are well educated in this country and can realise that it is wrong (look at cronulla, this crap is simmering under regular peoples skins).

Unfortunatly you cant "ship people home" as some are suggesting as these people (despite their appearence, language ect) were born here so you would be shipping them here right? Also we need to remember that everyone in this country (which is really a very, very, young country - 200 odd years old) is an immigrant - thats right from England originally - I dont know where all this crap stems from that some people can claim to be more Aussie than others just because their family have been here for 100 years longer than someone elses....not a real long time period is it? Dont get me wrong, in the background thread I posted how my great great grandmother was one of the first off the boat back when Australia was colonised and of course I am proud of that but being half Cypriot as well, I can see both sides of the fence and its not a pretty site.

But anyway I think the law needs to be tougher on racism - those involved and identified in the brawl should be put on trial for racist violence and be given minimum jail sentences, send a message that this crap is not tolerated.

I do believe that this country is the greatest in the world and if given unlimited funds cant think of many other places I would rather live (maybe Hawaii lol) - as a young country we have a chance to stamp all this crap out now before it takes hold.

Speaking of a young country - I was just thinking the other day, when you look at all the inventions we have churned out, all the famous people, the standard of living, the extensive road networks, large cities, massive engineering projects ect, our technology - it is simply amazing that we have achieved all this in only 200 years!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #107
Ringo
I see you....

This is getting off topic.....it was just a thread about d-ckheads and now it has gone all wierd.

Credit to all that it hasn't got abusive...

Don't get upset Steffo...
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #108
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Disagree.

I despise what he says as much as the next Australian. But he's got the right to say it. Our implied freedoms of speech, altho are responsible for a lot of nasty/stupid/pathetic things being said, are key to the vibrancy of our democracy.

As soon as you start using terminology like "limit"... you've got big problems. Who decides where the limits should be established? What's ok to you might be outrageous to someone else...

Even our conservative government is somewhat loathe to restrict speech... only "limiting" seditious stuff and other politically-palletable terrorism measures.

The day you tell this sheik what he can and cant say is a black day. Let him say what he wants - and afford us the freedom to tell him what an idiot he is!!

And what's this nonsense about the thread going off topic? Lol, its a discussion... discussions evolve... as do peoples ideas and opinions. It's what seperates us from the animals. Let the topic meander of its own momentum... moderation only required when forum rules are being broken.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #109
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Moderators... :

This thread has gone off topic and could potentially turn ugly.
You dont need to make a post, use the "im scared" triangle button in the corner

Interesting comments, and some are typical of alot of people I knew at high school, thats how pathetic all these race things are.

What Rymers said is correct, its a gang mentality. I dont know why or how it starts, but certain nationalities only seem to communicate with each other, which then causes a "them vs us" situation; which then leads to some numbskull saying something stupid and wella, you have a riot.

Problem is that these gang members are sheep, and seem incapable of making a decision for themselves which is probably the saddest thing.

Good work keeping this going to :sm_headba
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #110
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Disagree.
I am in agreeance with your disagreeance (hmm...spellchecker doesn't think those words exsits..bah!)

By letting people like him speak, we get the whole community to take a stand, not just a few sections.

Well said Merlin!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #111
HOON69
Banned

every sport has to have a fight now and then

but yes its a disgace and very unaustalian when two ethnic groups find it necessary to fight over chants and abit of rivalry taunts etc

some mothers do have em :
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #112
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Problem is that these gang members are sheep, and seem incapable of making a decision for themselves which is probably the saddest thing.

its because there not actually gang members...more like gang wannabees
they want to be hardcore but are just gelled up metros

no i don't want to be hardcore...im merely aware what "real" gang members are capable of
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #113
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
its because there not actually gang members...more like gang wannabees
they want to be hardcore but are just gelled up metros

no i don't want to be hardcore...im merely aware what "real" gang members are capable of
HAHHHAHA...yes thats a better way of putting it. After there little spat they go home and mum will slap them behind the head for being a naughty boy.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #114
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You dont need to make a post, use the "im scared" triangle button in the corner

Yes, this thread is being closely watched but everyone has been pretty good so far...as long as they stay constructive and civil, these topics are usually on a knife edge

One day it will come to a head, there will be an uproar similar to Cronulla and will be nasty. It's a pity that it will be started by a minority that slander's the whole community from wherever they came from. People from any country, that go to live in another country, while having rights to their own beliefs etc need to make the effort to be accepting of it's ways, laws, and moralities. I think that's what most people's beef is
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #115
ltd
Force Fed Fords

4.9ef futura, you are spot on.
The day we start to limit freedom of speech is the day when we are all potentially prosecutable for things we may say in jest, private or in a public domain. Frankly, I agree with sedition laws to punish those that incite violence and/or acts of terrorism but quite frankly the shiek, is better than any Bill Cosby comedy. Hopefully Bill Cosby will now host the show named "shieks say the darndest things".
If we limited what the shiek had to say then we would not hear of his true feelings and quite frankly, the community at large would be poorer for not knowing. Besides, the shiek and his cohorts are doing a spectacularly remarkable job of hanging themselves so lets give them as much freedom of speech aka rope as possible.

Quote: