Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
nobbystang

Default Video Cameras

With the arrival of #2 getting close its time to start thinking about a video camera to capture all those special moments and share amongst family. Does anyone out there have any advice for a first time buyer. I like the JVC Everio 3ccd model, 505 I think it is, and the Panasonic 3ccd DVD cam seems ok.

However, I have no idea what to look for and am unsure if I would be better off spending <$1k. Is there much difference spenidng $1600? The only thing I've been told is that HDD has a better bitrate than DVD, also are they true 16:9 models or just 4:3 with a funny lens.

Thanks in advance

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

you can get both, as in cameras that emulate 16:9 (deleting pixels at the top and bottom of the image) or ones that actually have a 16:9 lens. I have a Panasonic single CCD digicam that i bought new for $600 about 6 months ago. It's been pretty good, and has remarkably good recording and output for what it is. Low light is a different story, but that varies from camera to camera. 3 ccd isn't a necessity, but get it if you're after something decent. As far as bit rates go.. what media do you intend on having the final version of your footage on ? that should dictate what type of recording medium you go for, as it will be restricted in the end to the limitations of that.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
nobbystang

Mainly thinking of hooking it up to PC and doing required editing if required and then putting on DVD and sending to family interstate. I've played with NERO Vision putting slideshows together and have found that fun so am looking at expanding into doing something with video files to 'Jazz' it up.

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i bought Panasonic gv500 or something, its 3ccd , got it back in june for $1400 new off an EBAY store, been a great camera, the emulated 16:9 looks great of my 50" plasma. But i am kind of regreting not spending the extra couple hundred bucks and getting the sony 1080i camera
Old 04-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
nobbystang

Thats what I'm not sure on, how will the budget cameras(<$1k) compare to the more expensive ones on my plasma. I don't think 1st generation 1080i is worth buying straight up, thats why I'm leaning towards the JVC. 576p if I can get it would be good but I think I read that the cameras only do 576i???

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife bought me a Sony Handycam # DVD705E for Xmas, it has genuine 16:9 or 4:3 with Carl Ziess lens, records onto an 8cm disc and can take DVD - R / -RW / +RW. Came supplied with Nero Express 6 disc to load, 3 x 8cm DVD + RW discs and cost $899 with $100 cash back at Myer.

I only charged the battery today and am working my way through the instructions so I can't tell you what it's like to operate. But at $799 it looks like good value but I'm sure you could do a better price at other outlets as Myer ain't the cheapest, especially just before Xmas.

Using the +RW disc, I can take it from the camera and play it on computer or DVD player without finalising it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
My wife bought me a Sony Handycam # DVD705E for Xmas, it has genuine 16:9 or 4:3 with Carl Ziess lens,

I only charged the battery today and am working my way through the instructions so I can't tell you what it's like to operate. But at $799 it looks like good value.
Will be very curious to hear what your thoughts on it are. Will you be watching it through a Plasma??

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

May I recommend that you take a quick read of this comparison thread as kept as a sticky in the photography club section of AFF...
You may find a few more answers to your questions therein.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Ford_V8

I doubt it will matter what looks good on your plasma anyway. Because in 10-20 years time when you fish it out again and watch it with the family whatever technology is in the TVs then will have surely surpassed that which was in your 10-20 year old video camera. Just watched a few videos of myself as a newborn not long ago and 16 years on the quality of the video is really of no concern at all The sentimental value will remain the same regardless of video quality.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
rodderz

Once you get the camera, what is the easiest way to get the video from camera to PC? I'm guessing buying a USB cable that goes direct, then open it using movie maker or the like?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go the Sony HDR HC3 HDV Camcorder and get a copy of Sony Vegas 7 for your editing. You are right about the bit rate difference. DVD is roughly 5-10Mb/s?, Mini DV, DVCAM and HDV are 25Mb/s
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Once you get the camera, what is the easiest way to get the video from camera to PC? I'm guessing buying a USB cable that goes direct, then open it using movie maker or the like?
Cameras come with the cable now and depending on the camera as to the software from what I hear I'll definately be checking out Sony Vegas 7, have heard its user friendly and doesn't require much experience to use.

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Cameras come with the cable now and depending on the camera as to the software from what I hear I'll definately be checking out Sony Vegas 7, have heard its user friendly and doesn't require much experience to use.
cheers, we got a Canon mv800i last year, not bad for middle of the range but didnt come with a pc link cable only one for an av output into the telly
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post