Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Default Any Civil/Structural Engineers out there?

Hi,

Im currently nearing the completion of my 3rd year of civil/structural engineering, and was wondering if there were any engineers at AFF who i could possibly talk to about the industry, and also possible vacation work over summer.

Im having a "great" time searching for vacation employment, having applied here there and everywhere. I also had a 1 hour and 20 minute interview with an organisation who will remain un-named until the outcome is found. Lets just say im not optimistic about how it went.

Anyhow, thanks

:

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
hoppo366

Thats what I'm studying only I'm only first year, do you go to UQ mate cos thats where I'm studying. I wouldn't mind finding out more about the industry myself.

Powered by an Injected 250 x-flow fully rebuilt with stage 2 dynotech cam plus extractors and high flow muffler. Coupled to a T5 driving a 2.77 single spinner.
hoppo366 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Yeh UQ mate. Its not a bad uni. Parking could be better though :P

Gets better each year too.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 27-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
hoppo366

Yeah I'm glad I'm in St Lucia only have to walk or ride my pushy its only worth driving if I park under the exhibition hall but that cost a bit a $1.20 a hour. As far as the uni goes I love it its a great campus to be at, plus its got a great rep.

Powered by an Injected 250 x-flow fully rebuilt with stage 2 dynotech cam plus extractors and high flow muffler. Coupled to a T5 driving a 2.77 single spinner.
hoppo366 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
jonk

I'd be getting in touch with the engineers society - they have contacts galore.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Yeh I have done that through Engineers Aust. Mainly VIC based companies :(

Located in Brisbane.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 27-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Yeh I have done that through Engineers Aust. Mainly VIC based companies :(

Located in Brisbane.
Hi BOOSTDEF, just wondering if Civil engineering is hard? Im currently doin a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture at University of Technology Sydney, and am thinking of changing to civil engineering, do you think someone that doesnt know much physics and maths since high school can handle the load? any info appreciated ;)
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Its hard to say mate. I wasnt the best at maths going into yr 12 but got myself out of it through extra work.

Starting off in the degree, mathematical skills are mostly tested. I would say you could get away without the physics(As most ENG degrees all have introductory physics), but id say you would need at least knowledge of calculus before commencing.

The course is structured in subjects of 4 or 5 throughout the semester, with first year having introductory subjects for both maths and physics, but they require a "bit" of presumed knowledge.

Basically if you can cope with first year, your set. BUT, the workload (And difficulty) becomes quite overwealming as the years progress.

Id say go for it though. If your willing to put in a few extra yards in the first year, you will find in the 2nd and 3rd, what you learnt in the first year is basically recalled and a little bit more knowledge is added.

Hope it helps mate.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 29-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #9
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Still no bridge builders around???
- XB Coupe Project
Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i may be able to help, we are pretty selective on our graduates, but i can probably get your CV straight to the right places if you wanted

I see youre from QLD, we have offices in Brisbane, GC & Cairns depending on where you wanted to be situated. I think Brisbane would be your best bet though.

Need to get in quick, we have just hired our yearly intake here in melbourne, so Brisbane etc wouldnt be far behind im guessing.

Flick me your CV if youre keen and ill get the ball rolling for you and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
WRC

Have you thought about applying to mining companies? I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is massive shortage of mining engineers at the moment worldwide and PLENTY of mining companies are hiring engineers from other disciplines in an attempt to cover the gap. Obviously it's slightly different sort of work than civil and it may not be acceptable for your vac work requirements.

Something to think about though.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Its hard to say mate. I wasnt the best at maths going into yr 12 but got myself out of it through extra work.

Starting off in the degree, mathematical skills are mostly tested. I would say you could get away without the physics(As most ENG degrees all have introductory physics), but id say you would need at least knowledge of calculus before commencing.

The course is structured in subjects of 4 or 5 throughout the semester, with first year having introductory subjects for both maths and physics, but they require a "bit" of presumed knowledge.

Basically if you can cope with first year, your set. BUT, the workload (And difficulty) becomes quite overwealming as the years progress.

Id say go for it though. If your willing to put in a few extra yards in the first year, you will find in the 2nd and 3rd, what you learnt in the first year is basically recalled and a little bit more knowledge is added.

Hope it helps mate.
Yep thanks mate, i guess my decision between being an architect and engineer has just become harder
Old 02-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC
Have you thought about applying to mining companies? I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is massive shortage of mining engineers at the moment worldwide and PLENTY of mining companies are hiring engineers from other disciplines in an attempt to cover the gap. Obviously it's slightly different sort of work than civil and it may not be acceptable for your vac work requirements.

Something to think about though.
pays very well too :
Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
Yep thanks mate, i guess my decision between being an architect and engineer has just become harder
Depends on what sort of work you want to do, doing structural analysis or design type work.

I would stick with architecture if I was you. (I'm an engineer).
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Depends on what sort of work you want to do, doing structural analysis or design type work.

I would stick with architecture if I was you. (I'm an engineer).
haha, see what i mean? some people say i should do an engineering course, others say stick with architecture. I dont kno, hopefully somethin will come up. only reason why i dont wanna do architecture anymore is cus its too hard to find a job, supposedly theres too many architects and to little architectural engineers, which im assuming are civil engineers. But thanks for the input anyway ;)
cheers
Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #16
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
only reason why i dont wanna do architecture anymore is cus its too hard to find a job, supposedly theres too many architects and to little architectural engineers, which im assuming are civil engineers.
And who told you that? I'm both a qualified Civil engineer - although never practiced formarly, and an Architect who's been in practice for about 8 years now, we can't find enough people to fill the positions at the moment but it is a very cyclical industry. We've got offices in Bris, Syd, Canb, Melb, Townsville and overseas as needed on projects ie The Olympics.
If you're good enough - there is always work.
Architecture is not something you 'do' - not picking on ya but I genuinely believe its a vocation, yes basics, theory etc can be learnt and any monkey can learn to draw but the passion needs to be there in the thinking & design - thats what true architecture's about.

If u see yourself really getting involved in the fine intracacies of how structures are connected and supported then structural engineering is your thing, civil engineers are the people who generally deal with site conditions, roads, parking, traffic studies and waste management.

I work all around Australia and overseas and all the consulting engineers i deal with are looking for employees - seems to be a shortage in most major cities at the moment but that can change very quickly.

Look, the best way to sum it all up in very simplistic terms is this, Engineers know a lot about a little amount of things, Architects know a little about a lot of things.

Hope that helps.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
pays very well too :
Oh yes I forgot to mention that bit I've heard of graduates picking up close to 80-100k these days. Bastards. Was a lot lower when I graduated I can tell you!
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #18
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Sorry for the late reply guys. Been working hard with my new job at Thiess. Great company who have made me feel welcome.

CHeers.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 26-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Theiss eh? Was going to do a short apprenticeship with them as an electrician but i couldnt see myself enjoying the hours and travel needed to work in a mine. Glad its working for you though

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post