Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Leak at rear gearbox driveshaft seal

Hi guys.

As the title suggests, I have a very slow leak at the rear of the gearbox, where the driveshaft comes out. It's not dripping oil, but it is wet, gritty sort of oil, so it's fresh.

What is failing here and how big a job is it to fix? I'm going to assume rear gearbox tailshaft seal, right?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Yes it is the seal but usuallt the bush is worn too and needs replacing.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
JoesAu

get it changed asap
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
get it changed asap
easier said then done

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 16-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

They are a half hour job to replace... I just did mine thinking it was that seal...

But I changed it degreased it and now I have the same issue...

I think the seal underneath mine on the sump is loose or something... it has oil and dust collecting I am very annoyed...

p.s does anyone know if the tail shaft has one particular way it fits on??? Mine is making a god awful noise when changing from reverse to drive... and it is worrying me...

Cheers

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I'd be leaning more towards the bush, but not ruling out the seal. The bush would last about 100'000 k's.

Best to get it resolved pretty quickly, else save something more expensive occurring.
Old 17-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

The rear bush in these transmissions wear bad. The original was a babbit type bush with a silver/grey surface. The updated type bush is a bronze type and supposed to last longer. Any play/movement in the yoke replace the bush and seal.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
redef

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
They are a half hour job to replace... I just did mine thinking it was that seal...

I think the seal underneath mine on the sump is loose or something... it has oil and dust collecting I am very annoyed...

p.s does anyone know if the tail shaft has one particular way it fits on??? Mine is making a god awful noise when changing from reverse to drive... and it is worrying me...

Cheers
will only go in one way. recheck your tail shft bolts sounds like they are loose i always locktight them.If its that, noise will be a clunk.
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50

Cheers
always best to mark every thing and put it back on how it came off, then there should be less chance of issues with balance.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Well, I have it all booked in for tomorrow. Got a quote for $90, nut I might need a bit of a gasket around the gearbox inspection plate, so I might get him to do that too...

Old 18-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

tailshaft only goes in one way ... there is a notch in the end where it goes into the extension housing. Always locktite the bolts on the tailshaft (makes for a PITA removal at the later date ... but at least they are on.

Are you sure it is from the seal ... it might just be from the breather above the box as well ... and it makes it's way down to the back of the box and around the seal ... and also around the pan gasket as well ... making it difficult to locate most transmission leaks.

been there trying to fix this elusive leak ... replace the extension housing seal ... thought it was a worn pan gasket and replaced it when it had the auto serviced ... it still leaked.

Pull the box out ... was leaking from the breather on top of the rear section of the auto ... in otherwords the auto was over pressurising and blow out through the breather ... good thing I had a new box sitting there ready to go in.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Hey guys - got it looked at today - it turns out that it was just the breather, because I towed a big load of concreate to the tip over the weekend. They gave it a steam clean and said to keep an eye on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Are you sure it is from the seal ... it might just be from the breather above the box as well ... and it makes it's way down to the back of the box and around the seal ... and also around the pan gasket as well ... making it difficult to locate most transmission leaks.

Old 19-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Definitely keep an eye on it though .... but it can happen after the odd big load ... especially if it does warm up a bit ... and a warm day as well.

If it continues though ... get it checked out again ... but when it is stuffed though ... it leaks more than what you mentioned (the entire undercarriage should be soaked with trans fluid ... LOL)

I have been through trying to fix leaks for quite some time in the ute ... I sorted it out with a new auto in the end.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Yeah , Ive gotta look at mine soon , Sounds a Bit Dodgy

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post