Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Three cheers for Autobarn!

: Yay for Autobarn! :

I’ve been looking for a fuel gauge online, and found a few online in eBay stores and other mail order places. But of course being a feisty consumer, I want to have my cake and eat it too, hence I wanted to buy one yesterday because I want it the day before. As you do. The gauge in question is a Speco unit, model 524-06, retailing at around $75.

I normally get my cheap stuff from SuperCheapAuto, which is handily located less than a kilometre from my house. Tried them, they didn’t have any in stock and said they could get one in a few days, so I drove around to Repco (2km from my house) to see if they had any in stock. They didn’t have one either, but the guy started tapping into the computer after I gave him the part number. The conversation went thus:

Repco: "Yeah, you’re looking at $157 for that unit. I can get one here within a week or so..."
Me: "$157 – is that right? They seem to retail for $75 mail order!"
Repco: "Where was that?"
Me: "Just about everywhere..! eBay, mail order stores online..."
Repco: *shrugs* "Ah, well…"

This isn’t a rant about how my local Repco is crap, but it goes without saying that I always leave there disappointed. The manager there always thinks he knows better, he’s always right (although I have proven him wrong on more than one occasion, mostly when talking about Clevos or XCs) and frankly I don’t know why I bother going there. In fact, I hereby boycott Repco in Albion. We all know what Repco really stands for – there’s the proof.

So I continue my search, which takes me to my most distant retailer – Autobarn in Virginia. I used to live around there, and shopped there almost all the time for my parts. In fact, whenever I’ve needed something that my local SuperCheap can’t provide, I always try these guys last and they have ALWAYS delivered.

So I ask about the Speco unit I want. None in stock, but they can probably get one in the store tomorrow. The guy gets on the ‘phone before I have the chance to say “yes please” and talks to the distributor. He asks me if I know exactly which one I want, I give him the part number, he chats away to his mate on the ‘phone then he cradles it over his shoulder and says to me that they can have one in tomorrow. I say how much, and he checks and tells me "$76, plus another couple of bucks for the courier". Done deal.

I don’t spend a massive amount of money on my car in terms of upgrades, but when I was looking for new ignition leads, Autobarn had exactly what I wanted after I tried the others. Same deal with a thermostat housing, same deal with a big bolt I wanted, same deal with a set of lowering blocks which they didn’t have, but had couriered for me. If it’s not in stock, they order it right there in front of you and it’s in the store the very next day. Without fail.

So, I’d like to publicly thank the staff at Autobarn in Virginia for not only being very nice people to deal with, but for also going that extra mile with its customers. For me, I think they’re worth driving a few more kays to do business with.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Sapper
Back to the AU

Nice to hear it went well for ya. My local Autobarn (Warriewood) has been pretty good to me as well. These might be the couple of good automotive stores out of an industry with a bad reputation.
Old 16-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my autobarn in hoppers is awesome. longest wait for a part for 3 days, but thats because it was just a normal stock order. and i get an awesome discount on parts now, i've saved loads there
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

The closest autobarn to me has been very good for me i was after a pair of air filters they were 89 each. i asked the best price and he said look the catalogue is coming out next week these will be 69 each i ended up paying 135 for 2 so i dont know how that worked out but i was very happy! cant complain. 2 k&n filters for the price of the cheapies.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yeah, I'll give Autobarn the thumbs up too - Especially over the past few years, as they now stock more and more performance parts (Holley, Edelbrock, good stocks of V8 parts etc)...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
HOON69
Banned

different strokes for different blokes

i do business at all of em

i ring all 3-4 of em compare em compare brands and then get what i find to be good for the price usually repco for some parts and supercheap for bits n pieces but for my 4wd i use autobarn 99.9% of the time.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

AUTOBARN is the best. always have what you want when you want, always have nice friendly staff and they are always willing to help you no matter what. (always helps when you know the manager as well lol )

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

grrr, speco. Yeah autobahn are better than days gone by. I've been surprised with some of the obscure stuff they stock.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yeah autobarn in shepp is mad, i went looking for an accelerator cable for the old EA,
supershit said it would be around $100
repco told me there was no such thing as a CFI EA,
autobarn said no worries, $40 and a day later it was waiting for me by 10am
plus i got a pro comp sub from them, RRP $500 mates rates $250, amp, RRP $699 my price $500
cant complain,
(thanks for the discount macca)

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
repco told me there was no such thing as a CFI EA
That's gold! :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I picked up some of the sepco units on ebay for $25 new think fuel was about $45 new. However never used em they are still hanging around somewhere.

I find autobarn are ok but was hate them now after I went for a air/fuel gauge they said $160 is the best we can do and is costs us more then that. One week later they are selling them for $130. The staff are usually ok though and at least they have interesting stuff there unlike supercheap auto which is just supercheap everything now

Repco are the worst ring them up and say

'I see you have k&n's for $99'
Ahhh i think your dreaming we will never sell them for that (then hangs up on me)
Go down there ask them again same reply and then I point to the huge K&N $99 sign behind them to which they reply oh didn't see that. What idiots
Old 16-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
I find autobarn are ok but was hate them now after I went for a air/fuel gauge they said $160 is the best we can do and is costs us more then that. One week later they are selling them for $130.
Actually I'm going to defend Autobarn here. Head Office put the prices in the catalogue and some of the time yes they do advertise them cheaper than what the franchise buys them for.

I may be a little biased but I love Autobarn :hihi: and will only buy from there as I would get my butt kicked if I bought elsewhere. All the new parts I can get for my project car will be coming from Autobarn, mainly because my parents own an Autobarn :1syellow1

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autobarn Is Reopening In Wagga... Woot
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I got to autobahn or repco for parts, depending on price/availability. I'll go to Supercheap for useless things, like lightbulbs or oils or cheap drills or something.

The 5 dollar drill I bought from there was one of the best drills i've ever owned and treated me well for a year or so...haha
Old 17-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #15
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

After all the threads about dodgy dealers, its good to see acknoweledgement of a dealer that does the right thing by their customers! This is how a business should be run, and full credit to autobarn for realising and doing so! This is the future of business people, go out of the way to make ur customer happy and u cant lose!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
Actually I'm going to defend Autobarn here.

I may be a little biased but I love Autobarn :hihi: and will only buy from there as I would get my butt kicked if I bought elsewhere.

All the new parts I can get for my project car will be coming from Autobarn, mainly because my parents own an Autobarn :1syellow1
yeah i knew you'd come to the rescue and why not,you'd be the person to ask i reckon as you stated you got a parent whom owns one.

so what do "mates rates" get off exactly
5,10,20%?

wanna know what ppl close to ppl whom own such a store get off the retail price?
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #17
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
yeah i knew you'd come to the rescue and why not,you'd be the person to ask i reckon as you stated you got a parent whom owns one.

5,10,20%?

wanna know what ppl close to ppl whom own such a store get off the retail price?
We organised a cruise there a while ago & my olds offered 20% off to everyone.

Your best bet is to just ask, 'is that the best price you can do for me?'

And as for my discount...it depends on the product!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #18
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Today I paid $76 for a set of champion leads for a RB30E.

Outragous. Since last time I bought a set of leads from Kmart (of all places) $22 champions.

Never going to repco again. They always sell the wrong part, dispite me specically telling them to get the right one. Sump washers, brake pads, rotors, etc.. Sure I check every time, but I still end up taking the wrong stuff sometimes.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
5,10,20%?
depends if the boss is there or not 25,50% :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That's gold! :
if you think thats funny, AAMI argued that same EA had an XF motor, even when i showed them in the inspection bay... insurance declined!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
xr8man83
Grunt Files

i fiound that my local autobarn to be ok but the staff in it arnt that grat you can stand around for ages waiting i have walked out many of times not happy but there prices are sharp but on saying that i have never had a problem with my local repco i shop there all the time for car parts and tools i find that i get good disscounts when i rock up in my work uniform.
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

dont you know that generally, repco Rips Every Poor **** Off?

and yea, mates rates can pretty much come down as far as the guy behind the counter can push it without going below cost price.....

me: how much for a TFI module for an XF?
him: umm..... *looks it up* eek..... $200
me: you ****in WHAT?
him: yea, bit bloody exxy, i think i can do better than that..... how does $96.50 sound?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #22
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
and it’s in the store the very next day. Without fail.
Be nice if my local Autobarn was that efficient. So far everything ordered through them has taken 3+ weeks to turn up.

Atleast they are reasonably knowledgeable there though.....
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #23
Kobayashi

Grrrr, i just had a bad experience with our new local autobarn. Went in there on wednesday to order some new rear pads for the xc. I get my part number from the parts guy, take it to the counter with all the other crap i bought, and she puts it all through, and i even pay for the pads there and then. I go in there yesterday, and they havent even ordered them yet. There was a mixup and they werent sure wether to order them or not. I dont think using a small piece of paper with a handwritten note on it, is the most efficient process for a big store to use.

I guess at least it means my day is free today, and its supposed to be 30 here in adelaide today
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I found them all good around my area. Autobarn Villawood are really nice guys.However in saying that ..Guildford spares on Guildford Rd are really really good.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #25
2smooth
xygtho

thats weird cos it's the opposite for me. i have a repco 2km down the road and an autobarn the same distance from my place nut the other direction.

every time ive been to auto barn they have never had what i need in stock. the first time i got them to order in what i need, they forgot to put the order in. so i come in a week later like i was told. and they had to do it all over again. another week wait.

but every time ive been to repco they've had execlty what i need and for a better price. cos when i need a part i ring all the auto place first to see who has the better prices.

so i guess it's all down to the emplyee's than the actual company.
2smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
Kobayashi

sorry for bumping a week old thread, but after tooling around for a week waiting for them to actually ORDER my pads, i go to pick them up today, and the bastards have ordered me fronts, instead of rears. That was the final straw for me with them really, i would prefer to pay more from the sprint 25m down the road, then to go back to those guys.
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #27
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
I picked up some of the sepco units on ebay for $25 new think fuel was about $45 new. However never used em they are still hanging around somewhere.

I find autobarn are ok but was hate them now after I went for a air/fuel gauge they said $160 is the best we can do and is costs us more then that. One week later they are selling them for $130. The staff are usually ok though and at least they have interesting stuff there unlike supercheap auto which is just supercheap everything now

Repco are the worst ring them up and say

'I see you have k&n's for $99'
Ahhh i think your dreaming we will never sell them for that (then hangs up on me)
Go down there ask them again same reply and then I point to the huge K&N $99 sign behind them to which they reply oh didn't see that. What idiots
HAHAHAHAHA LOL
wish you got that on video, what a crack up.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #28
Simmo
White Lightning

i have to say a massive thanks to the Virginia store and all its staff. i only go there now and at least 2 of the staff know me and my car and ask about it everytime i go in. i might pop in to buy a fuel filter or something ****y, but they always want to know what i've done to the car. and as Neeek said, if they dont have stock, its ALWAYS in the next day. bloody tops store and i wish i could show my appreciation a bit more than just dropping half a paycheck every now and then.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #29
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
i have to say a massive thanks to the Virginia store and all its staff. i only go there now and at least 2 of the staff know me and my car and ask about it everytime i go in. i might pop in to buy a fuel filter or something ****y, but they always want to know what i've done to the car. and as Neeek said, if they dont have stock, its ALWAYS in the next day. bloody tops store and i wish i could show my appreciation a bit more than just dropping half a paycheck every now and then.
Maybe they have something like Bunnings where if the employees get a good feedback form then they get a little badge for customer service excellence, something to show recognition of their good deeds. Might be worth enquiring about.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Autobarn Is Reopening In Wagga... Woot
Certainly is, Ive spent the past 2 days filling it! :Reverend: