Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
mrgo40rd

Default quick prado

has any body gone toe to toe with a toyota prado 4wd well let me tell you i was sitting at a set of lights on sunday night and bang of the lights this prado went i gave it a squiirt and it gave me a run for my monery up to the posted speed limit of 80km got to the next set red light i placed my ba 6 na into performance mode and again he got me off the lights (and yes i can drive ) it took abit to catch and pass him i could not believe it has any body been given a run for there money by a 4wd it shocked me i dont think it would go to well top end but off the mark holly sh###t

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
has any body gone toe to toe with a toyota prado 4wd well let me tell you i was sitting at a set of lights on sunday night and bang of the lights this prado went i gave it a squiirt and it gave me a run for my monery up to the posted speed limit of 80km got to the next set red light i placed my ba 6 na into performance mode and again he got me off the lights (and yes i can drive ) it took abit to catch and pass him i could not believe it has any body been given a run for there money by a 4wd it shocked me i dont think it would go to well top end but off the mark holly sh###t
I picked up a PRADO brochure at the motor show once. It had absolutely notechnical information on the vehicle whatsoever but the back cover had a whole lot of little PRADO pictures, showing every colour available. No prizes for guessing who they are marketed to. Who cares about "off the mark"performance, any 4WD will have lower gear ratios (like Holdens) and both are 4.0L.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
TZAKHAMMER
TZAKHAMMER

they are quick, i have a '06 4.0l and i can tell you they launch very hard, but they take a while to slow down too.
Old 15-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels magazine said that acceleration was the only thing going for it when it did the comparitive stability tests last year - and it was the most likely to roll over and kill you if you deviated from a straight line quickly. I've never been beaten by one in my Territory at the traffic light derby but I suspect they don't try because they can see the fuel needle shooting down. You can soon shake them off at roundabouts and bends anyway. They are a truck.

Toyota brochures don't give much information because some of the figures (like internal space) compares too unfavourably with the local competition. Its a (mild) offroad vehicle that's had over-rated credibility with the school mum set. Territory has taken most of that market from them.
Old 15-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found i quite often get given a run off the mark in my ute. Had a chick in an auto VN V6 commodore murder me from 5 sets of lights. She was laughing by the end. But, if we were to both drop it from say 80kmh, i would have flogged her because they run out of torque. Embarrasing though.

Drag a 3.0L Turbo Diesel next time. they're still chuggers off the line. 96kw and 343NM of torque. They need the D4D motor out of the hilux.

Had a guy come 4 wheel driving with us and his TD prado did really well.

We had an awd territory come too and it went almost everywhere we did, just steered slear of the deep ruts and took the chicken tracks around the bog holes. Left us all for dead every time we hit a road! Still managed somewhere in excess of $4000 damage to the undeneath of it though.

schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Its a (mild) offroad vehicle that's had over-rated credibility with the school mum set.
Sorry but you obviously haven't seen them perform off road. A mate of mine has a Patrol, full lift kit and all sorts of mods for off roading. His Dad has a standard Prado TD, when they go off road, and they do serious off roading, it's the Prado that always pulls him and other 4x4's out.

I do agree about handling though, feels very unstable and too much roll through corners.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Drag a 3.0L Turbo Diesel next time. they're still chuggers off the line. 96kw and 343NM of torque. They need the D4D motor out of the hilux.
This month see's the release of the new turbo diesel Prado with that engine...

V6 Prado's rock, I was very surprised the first time I gave one a boot off the lights... if I could own any SUV it would be V6 Prado GXL. Only car I'd take over it is the TT
Old 15-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Sorry but you obviously haven't seen them perform off road. A mate of mine has a Patrol, full lift kit and all sorts of mods for off roading. His Dad has a standard Prado TD, when they go off road, and they do serious off roading, it's the Prado that always pulls him and other 4x4's out.

I do agree about handling though, feels very unstable and too much roll through corners.
OK I'll take out the "mild"! I think there's some that are better off road though like Landies, the Rangie and the cruiser.
Old 15-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
I had a Prado co car for 18 months, then went to a Territory...

The looks I would get from drives after a set of lights was priceless.. No one expects them to be quick off the line..
I did a driver ed course and it did a 0 to 80 in 6.9sec; 0 to 100 in 10.4sec; mind you that was with a 1/4 tank.. Fill the sucker up and its a whole different story (180 Lt Capacity).
For off the line, they are great value... Try stopping it though.. I had to carry a spare pair of jocks in the glove box !! :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
TZENU
XY Driv3r

They are damn quick on acceleration...Havent taken one out bush tho... Looks lots of FUN too!

A mate purchased a Mitsubishi RVR several years ago (for those that dont know its a 4wd with EVO running gear in it!). Being the smart **** that i was when i was on my P's i went to give him a bit of a run and i ended up embarassing myself!!
Old 15-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

My dad has a 2003 V8 explorer and thats pretty quick, used to cane my AU,

and my VX manual, only JUST manages to keep infront of it (if i can manage to have any traction:P) - and i mean the vx only manages to be about a bonnet length in front it pulls away in gear 2, but in gear 3 the explorers V8 starts pulling closer again

but yeah my next car is either an XR8 or a V8 explorer

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

When I was getting my edit done at autotech there was a Prado on the dyno, getting exhaust and tune up done. Maybe you ran into him??
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post