Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default QLD vs Road Spy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...056922606.html

Quote:
Companies that profiteer from alerting motorists to police operations
such as random breath testing (RBT) sites will be banned under new
Queensland laws.

Police Minister Judy Spence said the maximum penalty would be a $7,500
fine for each offence.

Cabinet on Monday approved the laws to be introduced into state
parliament this week.

"This is in response to a particular company called Road Spy, which is
operating on the Gold Coast, which this year seeks to profit from
subscribers who are alerted to police road traffic operations," Ms
Spence said.

"To send SMS alerts to motorists advising them where police have set
up random breath tests is effectively promoting drink driving as it is
telling drivers which roads to avoid on their way home.

"This is totally irresponsible and will not be tolerated."

Ms Spence said radio stations would not be banned from broadcasting
such information, although it was not encouraged.
She'd better not attempt a similar prohibition when using CB radio as the means, OR by word of mouth.

Something quite strange of late about certain state and territory labour governments, they *really* relish 'control'.

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, so they move it to NSW or overseas.

The world is a big place.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep, so they move it to NSW or overseas.

The world is a big place.
Or there is another amazing solution that will work every time....

Dont drink and drive... :eclipsee_
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I'm with you Ian. If you need this service then obviously you plan to drink and drive.

Someone who would use this service to allow them to drive wasted, I would consider the lowest form of driver and shouldn't be driving full stop IMO. ing_sm

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
xr8man83
Grunt Files

ripped off our government sux
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
xr8man83
Grunt Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I'm with you Ian. If you need this service then obviously you plan to drink and drive.

Someone who would use this service to allow them to drive wasted, I would consider the lowest form of driver and shouldn't be driving full stop IMO. ing_sm

just wait it will be for when the radios tell you where speeding cameras are as well
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Or there is another amazing solution that will work every time....

Dont drink and drive... :eclipsee_
I agree, dont drink and drive.
However i have no problems in them notifying me where the revenue raisers are.
Old 31-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
I agree, dont drink and drive.
However i have no problems in them notifying me where the revenue raisers are.
I agree on the revenue cameras as well... It is not policing it just a lazy revenue stream for the govt. Police need to be on the street POLICING not sitting in a 4WD attached to a camera eating bloody donuts while unsafe s#*t boxes drive by.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 31-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
"To send SMS alerts to motorists advising them where police have set up random breath tests is effectively promoting drink driving as it is telling drivers which roads to avoid on their way home.
Hmm looks like another media seeking politican.
It's only on the Gold Coast and nowhere on the Road Spy site ( http://www.roadspy.com.au/ ) is RBT mentioned, just speed cameras.

Quote:
Sign up to Road Spy today to start receiving instant SMS alerts of police mobile radar, laser, speed cameras, as well as traffic information in your local area (Gold Coast only at this stage), straight to your mobile phone.
I'll just sit back and wait for all the "DONT SPEED' posts now
Old 31-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Sledgehammer
Banned

They state that the RBT info was removed 01-06 and the advise here was inaccurately represented.

Media Releases

30 October 2006: Road Spy Considers Re-Structuring It's Organisation.

Following concerns over a proposed bill which may make it illegal for individuals and business's who seek to profit from the broadcast of police traffic operations, Road Spy may consider restructuring to a non-profit Road Safety Club.

Road Spy created Adam Bush said "It's a shame to see that the government can not see the benefits that my business provides to road users." Road Spy has recently added features to its services such as its new fuel watch service which provides members with the locations of cheap fuel.

"One has to question why radio stations will be exempt from such broadcasts. Obviously the government can see a benefit to this information becoming public (i.e. it slows people down)".

“Although radio station do not profit directly from the broadcast of such information, it certainly increases their audience, which in turn increases profitability through advertising.”

"Our services are not about people avoiding speeding fines, we provide information such traffic accidents, traffic delays, and other road hazards, which help motorists become more aware of their surroundings and adjust their speed and routes accordingly."

Since its release in January 2006, Road Spy has sent over 2,300 different alerts to motorists ranging from police speed camera locations, kids throwing rocks from overpasses’, to wild animals obstructing traffic. Approximately 30% of these messages were related to police speed camera operations.

The legislation process involves three readings and possible amendments’ which take time to process. The proposed bill, if passed, may not come into effect until some time next year.

Road Spy wishes to advise it members that it will continue to provide it services to members, until such time as it is required by law. Road Spy may over the coming months look at ways to change its organisational structure to a non profit Road Safety Club, so at all times it operates within the constraints of the law.

It should be noted that Judy Spence has made an inaccurate claim that Road Spy broadcasts information relating to police Random Breath Testing (RBT) Operations. This service was removed on January 13th 2006, due to public interest.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Yup, the company owner reckons he's only got about 200 or so customers, you'd reckon the reactionary response would indicate BIG numbers.

Strange, must have a lack of work to do. I'll give them some.
Old 31-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just love the holier than though attitude here. Did it ever occur to some of you city boys that in the real world there is bugger all public transport.

Have you ever had a couple of beers after work?
Or maybe a couple of wines at a restruant?
Worried that you are close to the limit?

It is called having a LIFE, you know a real one not a virtual one where you spend all of it on the internet..........
Old 31-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Seems to me,if we as road users used our high beams to warn each other,there would be no need for this type of service.
This used to be the norm on the roads,not anymore though..
I still warn road users of even a hint of an operation,I dont get the favour returned very often though..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Seems to me,if we as road users used our high beams to warn each other,there would be no need for this type of service.
I still warn road users of even a hint of an operation,I dont get the favour returned very often though..
Even though I'm only 21, I'm dismayed by the lack of recognition the old flash of the high beams gets these days, I grew up watching my grandfathers and uncles and father do it, and I do it naturally, a lot of the time I recieve irritated glares, of course, if you leave suburbia, people recognise it straight away. I like country folk.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Up here in Cairns you usually get at least one or two flashes everytime there is a speed camera or coppa around. This is the only place i've seen it happen so consistently.

It's great! :
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
Grunter
Donating Member3

Quote:
I just love the holier than though attitude here. Did it ever occur to some of you city boys that in the real world there is bugger all public transport.

It is called having a LIFE, you know a real one not a virtual one where you spend all of it on the internet..........
No cabs in Hervey Bay? ;) Mate, I seriously have no problem with a couple o beers after work, etc (partake of it myself), however I make it a point to know my limits and if I needed to check a service to dodge RBT's then I shouldn't be driving. I would have thought spending money on a accurate personal breath tester (if there is such a beast) would be a wiser investment, if people are really concerned about driving over the limit.

Anyway it's a moot point if the report was inaccurate in that if it's a service for reporting speed cameras only.

Current
Old 31-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #17
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:

Its called planning...

if I am going to have a drink I make sure there is someone who can drive. If not I dont drink...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 31-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
No cabs in Hervey Bay?
Yep there are about 12 of them and on the weekend delays of two hours are the norm. From my house to the restruant district is about $70.
Just as well I don't live in the outer areas where it is over $100 and they don't pick you up because they don't usually get return fares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunter
I would have thought spending money on a accurate personal breath tester (if there is such a beast) would be a wiser investment, if people are really concerned about driving over the limit.
Been there done that. I have a mate who rides a big scooter in blue jarmies and some time ago we aquired a couple of the soopa doopa guaranteed accurate breath testers, one of which was about $200. We tested them against a "real" one by the obvious method and basicly they were useless.

I do not support drink driving but I am strongly against the bullcrap.
i.e. A very experienced person with a BAC or 0.05 is dangerous, a person who has verly little driving skill and a BAC of 0.04999999 is perfectly safe.

If you are not sure, you avoid being tested....
Or do you purposly drive past the Transport Dept "random" roadworthy and EPA compliance testing bays coz you KNOW all your modded cars are ok?
Old 31-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
TUF514
Banned

so its ok for the government to " profit " from flash for cash/RBT but not a personal company?

its all about making money for the state.

if another company is in on the act, Mr Beattie gets less.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IT'S about time the eastern pansy states got out into the real world...in the N.T. .05 to .08 is a one hundred dollar on the spot fine over .08 your done 3 and 3.

The only reason the eastern and I should include southern and western states caved into the Feds is they did'nt want to lose road funding...the N.T. was the only smart one that saw and conquered.

This was done under a CLP govt.......now as many of you will know..I'm staunch labour...given the current status of open speeds in the N.T. this is one and only one thing that will give my vote to the CLP...that they kill the labour gov cave in to the Feds on speed limits in the N.T.

Flappist know where your coming from.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RBTs are actually something that works for safety whereas speed cameras do not.

Frankly anyone who wants to sell a product that could potentially help wasted drivers evade the law should be shot or at the very least have their head checked!

I do admit though that RBTs are somewhat flawed in their concept but it at least gets the very wasted people off the road if the RBTs are place in the right place at the right time.

To explain what I mean by flawed is somewhat similar to what flappist said.

Ie if my mother was 0.04 she would be more than wasted no doubt but is legally allowed to drive, yet if I were 0.06 it would barely have any affect if at all.

The best way to be sure is don't drink and drive at all. I'm lucky as I'm never designated driver because I always get wasted. Just lucky I have a mate who is not so much into drinking and if he is he's not a tightarse to catch a cab with me unlike my other mates.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #22
Grunter
Donating Member3

Quote:
... If you are not sure, you avoid being tested....
I know where your coming from but to be honest if I'm not sure, I don't drive.

As a side, 12 cabs only in HB? A shame the pubs don't have a booze bus as a service to take the patrons home. When I lived up in North Qld (a long time ago), I reckon I spent more time in them than time driving my car.

Current
Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #23
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The guy who runs this isnt the smartest cookie. If he just did the Speed Camera Warning. (the ******** vans and landcruisers) then he would be ok.

But they are making a point on the RBT. why cant QLD have fixed cameras like NSW and use big signs. !!
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #24
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems the preceding posts are drifting off what "Keep Left" bought to our attention.
If you read the first paragraph of his quoted message, the mealy mouthed Judy Spence said "... reporting police operations such as RBT". If you take this political comment back to everyday language, police operations means Speed Cameras. Revenue from speed cameras has reached very high levels and the government will do anything to protect that revenue stream. (Forget about the road toll).

Road Spy realised it was not in the public interest to send out RBT alerts and discontinued doing so 9 months ago.

Regarding flashing lights ... it is illegal to do so in Qld. I think it's termed "hindering police operations" or some thing.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #25
BlackLS

Honestly, with the cost of each message , and how many messages are subscribed to, the only guys this would benifit would be professional drivers that are on the road all the time. Couriers, taxi drivers, truck drivers etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Regarding flashing lights ... it is illegal to do so in Qld. I think it's termed "hindering police operations" or some thing.
In NSW the offense they use is,"use lights to dazzle" or something worded similar to that,but it is quite hard to be pinged for it,unless you give the wrong answer as to why you did it (accidently) or are a smartass..
Everyone that winges about speed traps should be doing it..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #27
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
But they are making a point on the RBT. why cant QLD have fixed cameras like NSW and use big signs. !!
That was supposed to happen following QLD's February 06, Premiers Road Safety Conference, organised after last the 2005 christmas holiday period crash toll, remmber that? Another is soon on you.

A QLD fixed speed camera system with NSW-like warning signs on approach was an outcome of this summit. That said - and to be fair, it does take time to find spots 'exactly' where they are to be installed, to then to implement in a practical sense power supply and ITS implementation, and then the tendering process to start it all off. It could really take another year or two before you get that.

Quote:
Pedro wrote: - Regarding flashing lights ... it is illegal to do so in Qld. I think it's termed "hindering police operations" or some thing.
Related, but not for 'warning of police activity', is Australian Road Rule 218(2).

It allows a driver to give a quick, momentary optional 'flash' - to alert leading traffic of your intention to overtake. The 'flash' gets attention, the indicator shows your direction-intention!! (Better alerts the inattentive).

Ideal allowance for rural open-road driving, especially in NT when passing roadtrains, and when on intercity motorways. Used in much of Europe on motorways, its origin is the UN Convention on Road Traffic, Road Signs and Signals.

Not done so as to randonly flash and blind, - not what the allowance is about, . . . just in case . . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf