Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
lubby1

Default Police FPV

Hi Everyone

I was driving along today and noticed a fg fpv and it belonged to the police (Sydney). I have seen many police with SS and SV6 commordores but never with the FPV.

I was wondering if this is common as its the first one ive seen the police driving. I almost want to become a policeman. What about you guys in the other states?

lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Theres an unmarked silver BF GT with orange stripes in Brisbane ;)

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby1
Hi Everyone

I was driving along today and noticed a fg fpv and it belonged to the police (Sydney). I have seen many police with SS and SV6 commordores but never with the FPV.

I was wondering if this is common as its the first one ive seen the police driving. I almost want to become a policeman. What about you guys in the other states?
I saw a number of FG FPV F6s when I was up in Sydney during December - I'd say it isn't that uncommon.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

There is a couple of F6 unmarked police cars up this way too, they must have a deal going with FPV for them now.
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Theres an unmarked silver BF GT with orange stripes in Brisbane ;)
Yer they bought it from Bryan Byrt Ford second hand.. it still has the BBF stickers / plate surrounds on it.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
XR8AU2121

Mate, the plate surrounds and stickers are all part of the disguise. Very common here in NSW. "P" plates, surf stickers all part of the fun.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Pistonbroke

Went down to Jervis Bay after Christmas for 7 days and saw F6 FPV's cop cars everyday. Very common using an assortment of colours.
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police in QLD & NSW have been using FPVs for a while, the F6's were marked HWP cars here until the FG came along and they shifted to the cheaper XR6T's
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
lubby1

Ok there more common than i thought, Still i think i'd rather be driving the fpv then the holden.
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Cobra
There is a couple of F6 unmarked police cars up this way too, they must have a deal going with FPV for them now.
Yep

Offtopic a little bit, i think i spotted you the other day heading out of Maitland towards Bolwarra heights/largs.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
bigdude1011

The AFP here owns a few BF FPVs and XRs, and also a fleet of (both marked and unmarked) FG XTs.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I've heard there were 12 FG F6s bought by NSW for highway duties in the "Operation Taipan" squad; 6 of these 12 cars were then later deployed elsewhere, with Taipan running the other 6 F6s nearly 24hrs a day. I have on good advice they have an absolute stack of KM on the odos and significant wear & tear of the interior with the usual glock induced seat damage.

For interstaters - Taipan is a special unit within NSW Highway patrol which isn't directly assigned to a particular station or region. They are based out near eastern creek but are often deployed to various areas of Sydney or NSW for high visibility crack-downs.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
For interstaters - Taipan is a special unit within NSW Highway patrol which isn't directly assigned to a particular station or region. They are based out near eastern creek but are often deployed to various areas of Sydney or NSW for high visibility crack-downs.
Ah great to see them use unmarked FPVs for "high visiblity crack-downs"

Sounds like typical NSW state-run operation..NFI
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are 6 FG F6's based at Macquarie Fields.

Get to see them on a daily basis, one of the officer's that drives the Dash one thinks they should be the only car that the highway patrol uses. As well as XR6T's
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
The Taipan cars are used for covert operations, and are meant to be almost unnoticable amongst traffic. There is a wide range of cars in use as well, and unless you're looking very closely, (or looking down into them from a truck or something), you won't pick them.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Ah great to see them use unmarked FPVs for "high visiblity crack-downs"

Sounds like typical NSW state-run operation..NFI
The idea apparently is to introduce the concept of unmarked police presence - showing drivers that yes, NSW police do use unmarked police cars. The same theory goes for the current highly visible placement of LCD strobes around the rear numberplate for new unmarked cars.
Old 21-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8

Get to see them on a daily basis, one of the officer's that drives the Dash one thinks they should be the only car that the highway patrol uses. As well as XR6T's
Theres a couple of em' floating around the Sutherland area as well, one Vixen, the other Dash. The Vixen one was parked in one of the the visitors spots in my apartment block a week or two ago and saw two officers get out of it to sort out a disturbance up the road

A few BF F6's a year or two ago as well in this area, but I suspect they're long gone
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
The Taipan cars are used for covert operations, and are meant to be almost unnoticable amongst traffic. There is a wide range of cars in use as well, and unless you're looking very closely, (or looking down into them from a truck or something), you won't pick them.
They have twin aerial whips on the rear boot, strobes round the rear plate, radar/strobe and camera kit on the front dash - they stand out if your looking for a cop car.
Old 21-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Does anyone know if Adelaide has F6 cop cars?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
They have twin aerial whips on the rear boot, strobes round the rear plate, radar/strobe and camera kit on the front dash - they stand out if your looking for a cop car.
Those are unmarked Highway Patrol. Not Taipan.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

Old 21-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are Taipan:

http://nsw-emergency-pics.fotopic.net/c1774687.html
http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c1782081.html
Old 21-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

As are the Yellow Evo 6 with custom plates, no aerials, no visible exterior lights, and the black Suby Forrester with the lights hidden behind the grille...

Old 21-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They wouldn't be running an Evo 6 - too old, and would not meet the minimum safety requirements for Highway Patrol. I have heard of an unmarked subie but never heard of it in frequent use, I doubt it's approved for pursuits. They do have a VE SS ute but hardly ever use it.

I think you might be confusing general unmarked vehicles with what Highway use (or more to the point, allowed to use).
Old 21-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

Haha, I live in Macquarie Fields but I've only ever seen them on duty in Liverpool/Campbelltown areas. I have seen a one parked outside the station before though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #25
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

^Adrenaline,
I live down the road and havn't seen you car, but if I did I'd probably crap myself as the unmarked XR6Ts run F6 18s, and there is a dark blue one getting around aswell.

Quote:

Do you mean the MF cars based out of Eagle vale? Or are some basing out of the actual MF station?

I see them all the time, usually only on the freeways with radars. On the M7 mainly and all the way down to Picton Rd. They dont seem to ever be used for RBTs. They seem to leave that to the SS-Vs.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #26
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Does anyone know if Adelaide has F6 cop cars?
Highly doubtful mate. All I've seen as undercovers are Camry's, 100 Series Landcruisers (Star Force ones), Falcons and of course Commodores.

Haven't really heard of them using anything else apart from the old "my uncle's cousin's sister's brother's pet dog's breeder got baited and pulled over by a skyline", but never heard it from a firsthand/reliable source, or seen it for myself.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That skyline rubbish, pah, no one reputable has ever told me they got baited. I've heard there is a blue wrx wagon baiting p platers, gold rims big unit sticker, big front mount...so that would be what, every rexy wagon ever made? Ha.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #28
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen several F6's lurking around the Sutherland Shire- there was a special on Today Tonight about speeding and they were in a light blue F6 patrolling the Princes Hwy, Heathcote Rd and various other places. I've seen an orange F6 parked at the northbound slip lane from the old highway to the F6 at Waterfall- totally out of sight of the freeway traffic in a northerly direction but perfectly positioned to be seen when southbound. They radar you as you come past then take off from behind you.

Also had a light blue F6 (probably the one from the TT article) tailgate a mate and I in cronulla then put the lights on and speed past after we pulled over. They're everywhere...

The TT article showed a whole garage full of brightly coloured FPVs and HSVs, tho it didn't show where they were- I made the assumption they were under Sutho police station.

Last edited by madmelon; 22-01-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #29
Outback
Banned

Quote:
From what I've heard there were 12 FG F6s bought by NSW for highway duties in the "Operation Taipan" squad; 6 of these 12 cars were then later deployed elsewhere, with Taipan running the other 6 F6s nearly 24hrs a day. I have on good advice they have an absolute stack of KM on the odos and significant wear & tear of the interior with the usual glock induced seat damage.

There based at the Sydney highway patrol HQ which is located at the old Wetherill park police station and thats where all the in ponded cars are kept.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #30
Gaz
Got Ghia?

i recall ford was now also fitting 4 pot brembos to police packs cause of brake complaints??

if so they will be quicky spoken for at auctions.. xr6t with factory brembos
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post