Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Official Ford EB Falcon Indy Pace Car For Sale

Historic ‘Indy’ Falcon survives – and is for sale!

A time capsule from the early '90s has somehow survived into 2024 – and you can buy it.

Have you ever wanted to cruise down your local main drag, imagining that it’s 1992 and you’re leading a pack of angry IndyCars restlessly weaving left and right in your rear view mirror, all within the caged confines of the Gold Coast street circuit?

Well now, here’s your chance.

The official pace car for the 1992 and 1993 Gold Coast IndyCar races is up for sale – a “time capsule” 1991 Ford EB Falcon S XR8 with a factory-tuned 5.0-litre naturally-aspirated V8.

Hidden away for more than three decades, this fully road-registered vehicle remains exactly as it was in its pace car heyday, complete with retro 90s livery and even the amber light bar on the roof.

This was no EB XR8 dressed in some stickers, either. Effectively a concept car intended to showcase Ford Australia’s performance vehicle smarts, the EB pace car appeared at motor shows and was featured in leading motoring magazines of the time.

According to the seller, there’s a full leather interior installed by the Ford Australia Design Centre, suspension retuned by Ford Australia engineer John Mole, while the one-off bodykit was designed by Ford stylist Wayne Draper. The car is a five-speed manual, while there’s also an original Momo steering wheel.

The car has the original roof-mounted light bar and “extremely rare” Compomotive three-piece wheels, while it’s painted in a one-off Pearl White, “paint code FQ”, said the seller.

The seller claims the car was built at the request of then Ford global boss Jac Nasser, while development of the engine – built with hot Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) bits – was spearheaded by Ford’s own engine guru, Bob McWilliam.

In the early ’90s, the car appeared centre-stage at the Sydney Motor Show to highlight the return of the V8 to Ford Australia’s Falcon range, said the seller.

Located on the NSW Central Coast and with 35,000km on the odo, the seller is asking an ambitious $115,000 and describes it, perhaps loftily, as “the most famous and historically significant Ford Falcon of the modern era”.

Now that'd be cool to have sitting in the garage.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #2
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Official Ford EB Falcon Indy Pace Car For Sale

yer pretty good looking livery, colours and all.

I'm sure I see clones of that girl every single time I venture the Goldy since the late '70's and to date LOL....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yer pretty good looking livery, colours and all.

I'm sure I see clones of that girl every single time I venture the Goldy since the late '70's and to date LOL....
High waist bikini is a bit 1990s though, it's back for the 2020s but leaves a lot less to the imagination

Quote:
“the most famous and historically significant Ford Falcon of the modern era”.
What load of shit, never even heard of it or seen it before, also isn't Indy car some poor mans F1?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #4
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I think $115k is pretty rich... never know tho - he may get it? Although the photo in the link it looks pretty well looked after.

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post