Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
wakeboardandy

Default Test drove Fiesta today.. WOW.. I was impressed..

I'm currently looking for a 2nd car for the family. We have a 2007 SY Territory GHIA which we love. I just wanted something smaller as a run around car for driving to the station or to the melb cbd for work. Was initially thinking about a cruze or a focus but then also thought to check out a fiesta. I drove a focus sport last week and today I drove a Fiesta CL 6 sp auto as that was a car available at the dealer I went to. I'm intending to get the ZETEC model though. This dealer also let me take the car out on my own. The last two ford dealers I went to came along with me.

My first impressions were... WOW! I was amazed at how good this car drove. It was very fun to drive and felt very roomy up front. I can only imagine that the zetec would be even a bit better to drive. I felt it was much more fun to drive than the focus sport I drove last week. Obviously the focus sport was a lot nicer inside and had a lot more features. I drove it on the fwy at 100km/h and it held on the road very nice even with strong winds. Drove on 80km hwy roads and 60km back streets. Tested the bluetooth out which worked perfect with my iphone 4 and tested out the ipod integration as well as I had a usb/3.5mm cable in my territory that worked.

Now my decision is to either buy it privately and get it quickly or order it as a company lease and wait 6 months!

The two colours I liked were Phantom Blue (in the brochure it looks green but in person it is the furtherest thing from green!). And also Metro Grey looked awesome also.

wakeboardandy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Test drove Fiesta today.. WOW.. I was impressed..

Good to see you like the Fiesta and Focus to drive. They are both good cars, but definitely different beasts.

The Fiesta is noticably smaller for rear passengers and in the boot. Its definitely a more town/city oriented car. It can comfortably take 4 people of course but the Focus is bigger. The Sport also has a 2ltr 4cyl not the 1.6ltr so more power too.

But in saying that your looking at around a $7k price diff between a Fiesta Zetec and a Focus sport. (by looking at car sales) Thats about a 30% outright price difference. So $7k should buy you alot more kit.

So I guess it depends on what you need more, space ie for kids, family trips etc or if its just you in the car most of the time.

Sounds like a fun decision anyway! Good luck
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
wakeboardandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec

But in saying that your looking at around a $7k price diff between a Fiesta Zetec and a Focus sport. (by looking at car sales) Thats about a 30% outright price difference. So $7k should buy you alot more kit.

So I guess it depends on what you need more, space ie for kids, family trips etc or if its just you in the car most of the time.

Sounds like a fun decision anyway! Good luck
The driveaway price difference from the quotes I got was 9k difference between the sport auto and the zetec auto.

At the end of the day we have a Territory for the big trips and the fiesta would still cart the kids around on small trips if needed. 99% of the time it would be one person in the fiesta so that is what is making me lean more towards it over the focus.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Caydus

Though the Fiesta's a great little car in it's own right, quite frugal with the petrol and is cheap to buy, if you can afford to fork out the extra cash, the new Focus looks amazing, lots more toys in the cabin and out. Also seems to have a gruntier engine.

You may be able to fit some people in the back just in case.

I had 5 guys in my Fiesta the other day. The 3 guys in the back were not happy campers...
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
wakeboardandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
Though the Fiesta's a great little car in it's own right, quite frugal with the petrol and is cheap to buy, if you can afford to fork out the extra cash, the new Focus looks amazing, lots more toys in the cabin and out. Also seems to have a gruntier engine.
I can certainly afford to buy a focus, it is just I'd rather spend that money on other things.

You mentioned 4 passengers. I wouldn't take 4 passengers in a focus let alone a fiesta. I would use my territory for that which is very roomy in the back if you have ever been in one.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
I had 5 guys in my Fiesta the other day. The 3 guys in the back were not happy campers...
You don't need to buy a bigger car just find smaller friends

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
wakeboardandy

ended up getting the fiesta.. picked it up yesterday in white. WT Zetec.. Getting Midnight Express tinting done on Monday. Loving it so far.. Had 20km on the clock and build date of aug 2011. Never get sick of that new car smell.. been a long time between drinks.. 4 year gap since I bought my territory.. hopefully go back to a new car every two years now... 4 years is way too long..
Old 30-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chuck a couple of photo's up when you get a chance!

Have fun with it. Find some corners.. Thats where its at its best.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
wakeboardandy

brilliant little car to drive.. you are certainly right about the corners. Melb weather for last two days have been terrible.. I can't believe how good the car goes in the wet.. never felt like the car is going to lose any traction. Solid as anything and doesn't move in the wind, nor can you hear it.

Will take some pics over the w'end.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its amazing what sort of cars you can stay with in the twisty sections of the hills thats for sure... i was certainly surprised anyway
Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardandy
I'm currently looking for a 2nd car for the family. We have a 2007 SY Territory GHIA which we love. I just wanted something smaller as a run around car for driving to the station or to the melb cbd for work. Was initially thinking about a cruze or a focus but then also thought to check out a fiesta. I drove a focus sport last week and today I drove a Fiesta CL 6 sp auto as that was a car available at the dealer I went to. I'm intending to get the ZETEC model though. This dealer also let me take the car out on my own. The last two ford dealers I went to came along with me.

My first impressions were... WOW! I was amazed at how good this car drove. It was very fun to drive and felt very roomy up front. I can only imagine that the zetec would be even a bit better to drive. I felt it was much more fun to drive than the focus sport I drove last week. Obviously the focus sport was a lot nicer inside and had a lot more features. I drove it on the fwy at 100km/h and it held on the road very nice even with strong winds. Drove on 80km hwy roads and 60km back streets. Tested the bluetooth out which worked perfect with my iphone 4 and tested out the ipod integration as well as I had a usb/3.5mm cable in my territory that worked.

Now my decision is to either buy it privately and get it quickly or order it as a company lease and wait 6 months!

The two colours I liked were Phantom Blue (in the brochure it looks green but in person it is the furtherest thing from green!). And also Metro Grey looked awesome also.
just interested in the freeway run, how did you find noise levels, engine, wind , etc?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
wakeboardandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
just interested in the freeway run, how did you find noise levels, engine, wind , etc?
freeway is fine.. noise levels really good.. can hear the engine a bit but with radio on you don't notice it.. last thursday or friday can't remember which day but it was massive winds and rain and you couldn't hear the wind at all in the car or feel it at all.. I was very impressed.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Caydus

The steering makes the car feel alot more planted at speed, crosswinds don't affect the car as much as it does alot of other smaller cars. Comparing the powershift to other autos in it's class means you get less engine noise because of the gearing.

Overall, on the highway, it feels like a much bigger car than it really is.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardandy
freeway is fine.. noise levels really good.. can hear the engine a bit but with radio on you don't notice it.. last thursday or friday can't remember which day but it was massive winds and rain and you couldn't hear the wind at all in the car or feel it at all.. I was very impressed.
cool thx for that,............ a few smaller cars i have been in over the years have been a bit on the noisy side at freeway speeds, and yes i was cruising down the freeway in melbourne a while ago , it was as gusty as buggery, most of the the cars where floating around a tad in the lanes, i was slowy coming up on the little ford and it caught my eye because it just rock solid, very impressive indeed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
wakeboardandy

one thing I did notice today was that the left rear fog light doesn't work.. so I thought to myself, maybe it only has one rear fog light, so thought I'd check the manual before I come on here and make a fool of myself.. the manual says rear fog lamps.. so can someone confirm there is definitely two rear fog lamps?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #16
JJ500
Starter Motor

Pretty sure it is one rear fog lamp and one reverse light
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
Caydus

I know on the LX and CL there are no white lights on the rear of the car with the exception of the reverse light. There's a button next to the headlight knob and front foglight button, but it does nothing.
There are two very promanent red reflective strips however on the rear bumper near the left and right corners of the car.