Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Tesla Camera / Data Questions

Do current models log camera data ongoing, or does it take user intervention to actually save imagery recorded?

If it’s ongoing, how long is the data retained for?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Tesla Camera / Data Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Do current models log camera data ongoing, or does it take user intervention to actually save imagery recorded?

If it’s ongoing, how long is the data retained for?
Depends if you turn on sentry mode and dashcam. If you do, it keeps recording till an event and then saves the previous 10 minutes. On a drive, it does 60 minute loops.

You can trigger download by hitting the save button or pressing the horn that will save a clip as well.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thanks - can you advise, is it also triggered to save by impact/shock? If so, what level of sensitivity is normal?

I’m assuming from your remarks that sentry/dashcam is default “off”.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks - can you advise, is it also triggered to save by impact/shock? If so, what level of sensitivity is normal?

I’m assuming from your remarks that sentry/dashcam is default “off”.
A person walking too close to the car will set it off. Impact will definitely set it off.

Older cars needed you to put a USB drive to start saving clips. From about 2021, they come fitted with a USB stick and have Sentry/Dashcam on by default unless you set a rule (like I have set not to use Sentry when I'm parked at home). Sentry saps about 0.5% battery per hour or so. Depends on activity the car is witnessing. The cameras are always running unless you tell it not to.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Brilliant, so many thanks.

I had a ‘23 Model Y pull a dumb stunt the other week that resulted in impact. From your descriptions of operation and defaults, it sounds like the ten minute window will nicely show their illegal right turn and subsequent U-turn, seconds prior.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Brilliant, so many thanks.

I had a ‘23 Model Y pull a dumb stunt the other week that resulted in impact. From your descriptions of operation and defaults, it sounds like the ten minute window will nicely show their illegal right turn and subsequent U-turn, seconds prior.
Yes, for sure. They can delete the footage though.

If you log it with Tesla via legal channels, if there is an impact, the car will save it to memory outside of the USB device too. But getting that from Tesla is hard unless there was a fatality.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #7
onemanempire
Sharper than a marble
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
A person walking too close to the car will set it off. Impact will definitely set it off.
Wow, very interesting, and thanks for sharing.
I did a delivery the other day and there was a Tesla parked within 5 foot steps of where I was standing, so I went over to look in the passenger side window to find myself being displayed on the centre screen. I thought, Man, that's a neat thing. Wish I had that in my FG...
Maybe one day.

On a side note, I watched a Tesla driver crank a right hand 90 degree turn and noticed it looked "heavy". Was wondering, no I haven't bothered looking it up, what they weigh. I was also following another Tesla from behind and noticed it's vertical suspension travel, attitude if you will, over bumps seemed again, heavy.. or heavier than a non battery powered car.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanempire View Post
Wow, very interesting, and thanks for sharing.
I did a delivery the other day and there was a Tesla parked within 5 foot steps of where I was standing, so I went over to look in the passenger side window to find myself being displayed on the centre screen. I thought, Man, that's a neat thing. Wish I had that in my FG...
Maybe one day.

On a side note, I watched a Tesla driver crank a right hand 90 degree turn and noticed it looked "heavy". Was wondering, no I haven't bothered looking it up, what they weigh. I was also following another Tesla from behind and noticed it's vertical suspension travel, attitude if you will, over bumps seemed again, heavy.. or heavier than a non battery powered car.
If you walk near them, you'll see the headlights flash. That's too tell you you're being recorded.

The Model 3 is about the weight of a G6E LPG Falcon. The 3 Performance is about the same weight as at the GT.

The Model Y is lighter than a Territory. They aren't that heavy at all.