Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default First car – Sensible verses ‘image’ for son

Its getting close to that time (3 months), when my son gets his learners. We have agreed that he will take over the EA ownership and running costs, until he gets his proper licence, and then he can buy his OWN car.

Now we have spoken about various car manufacturers good and bad points. Servicing, availability of parts, reliability, any quirks that certain models (EA = everything, VE = dodgy electrics) have, etc.

He always got excited about any XR6-8 on the road from BA-FG, but he has recently decided that he will buy a 4 cylinder. I had a bit of a think about it, and come up with the last celica model in 2000. it is sporty looking, 4 CYL, has toyota reliability and good servicing and parts availability. He didn’t know what it looked like initially, so after he checked it out, he later told me he really wants one as its better looking than he expected. Then he tells me how much they are going for…..with low mileage up to $19,000. I thought maybe $10-12,000 max….

This is where, as a parent, the head takes over the heart. There are several brand new drive away cars available for around $15,000. ok they may be pussy mobiles, but a young kid wants to drive an image machine….just like we did when we got our licence.

For those that have gone through the process of finding a first car for your kids, what did you do?

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
SVD

SSS pulsar, N15 shape can be had for 10k in great nick, the SR20 is a great motor and rarely fails when looked after, and the car has a great look about it, can comfortably hold 4 people (3/4people... not full people) and will have cheaper insurance and rego because 1 its a hatch and 2 its not a coupe.

My 2c's
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to save up and buy my own, hence the $2000 TE Gemini as my first car. When I got a proper job, then I bought a decent car.

But if you must buy a car for the kid(s), then I would say the newer they are, the safer they'd be. I would go for something new rather than old.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I guess if he is going to be buying his own car...then the choice is really his in the end.

Maybe do some research and point some cars out to him...Don't use the whole, 'this is reliable, safe and easy on fuel' Instead think like him and go oh well this car has a bodykit, mags, etc...looks good and is sporty...

That's what I think

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have been putting away a little bit for him, every week for this purpose for 5 years. i cant afford to buy him a car outright. he works now, and is adding to what i have saved for him.

he is a car freak and wont settle for 'invisible' A to B car (like his dad these days!). in a way, an AUXR6 would be a perfect car as they have a real presence on the road, and are good value these days. plus they got THAT front end....(i forgot, its for him, not me!
FG XR6 (son)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
SSS pulsar, N15 shape can be had for 10k in great nick, can comfortably hold 4 people (3/4people... not full people)

My 2c's
Common practise to saw people into quarters? :P

What sort of kid is he? Is he very mechanically minded and is able to perform modifications, servicing and maintenance by himself or does he just want a ride with a set of rims and a subwoofer? This could completely change the choice of vehicle he'd like.

If i knew what I do now back when i bought my first car i wouldn't have bought a BA. It's a great car and during the first 3 years of my owning it I loved it but in retrospect it's been massive waste of money for very little gain. My friends bought $3500 cars from grannies like Celica's and the pop-up headlight Prelude and they have had less problems then the BA. With a sound system and a set of good rims they look pretty good and handle a hell of a lot better while using a lot less fuel and they will probably make money on them when they sell them. Only downside is a little bit less room inside(but that prohibits people from asking you for a lift all the time) and they aren't quite as safe in a big accident..

Last edited by Fev; 11-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

nineteen grand for a first car? Are you joking?
My first car i swapped for a computer....
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
fg_nitro

First car was a box vk commodore for the purpose of going from home to tafe then back home again. Nothing more nothing less.

Every young kid wants something cool....

I would be looking at the auctions for a clean car that is in moderate condition.

Lets face it. Why spend 20k on something you know is going to be trashed. weather you like it or not.

Small prangs, reversing, traffic accident and dont forget Police targeting those P plates (green and red)

That would be no better than Lara Bingle getting an Aston at the age of 22?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Aufairghia

$2000 85 toyota corolla, the thing was indestructible!! no matter what i threw at it just kept eating it. Cant beat good toyota quality for a first car.
Aufairghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufairghia
$2000 85 toyota corolla, the thing was indestructible!! no matter what i threw at it just kept eating it. Cant beat good toyota quality for a first car.
Yup, good idea. Plus cheap car means more motivation for the kid to learn to fix it himself.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some kids have a real 'attitude' at that age, and as a consequence dont deserve even a pushbike. he gives me NO grief at all. if he was a troublesome kid that always got on my nerves, then all he would get from me is kick up the azz.

i like to reward good behavior. if i can get a nice car that is not going to line my mechanics pockets, and my kid feels good in it....for $10-12,000, then i think its deserving.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
kezzer

I went ahead and bought an FG xr6 for my first car, I had driven around in older POS cars that weren't mine before that though, and sorta owned a BA that I offloaded, I feel comfortable knowing i have a better chance of surviving an accident compared to my mates who drive excels, i30's, VN's etc, and its reliable, fuel efficient and goes very good.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
Its getting close to that time (3 months), when my son gets his learners. We have agreed that he will take over the EA ownership and running costs, until he gets his proper licence, and then he can buy his OWN car.

Now we have spoken about various car manufacturers good and bad points. Servicing, availability of parts, reliability, any quirks that certain models (EA = everything, VE = dodgy electrics) have, etc.

He always got excited about any XR6-8 on the road from BA-FG, but he has recently decided that he will buy a 4 cylinder. I had a bit of a think about it, and come up with the last celica model in 2000. it is sporty looking, 4 CYL, has toyota reliability and good servicing and parts availability. He didn’t know what it looked like initially, so after he checked it out, he later told me he really wants one as its better looking than he expected. Then he tells me how much they are going for…..with low mileage up to $19,000. I thought maybe $10-12,000 max….

This is where, as a parent, the head takes over the heart. There are several brand new drive away cars available for around $15,000. ok they may be pussy mobiles, but a young kid wants to drive an image machine….just like we did when we got our licence.

For those that have gone through the process of finding a first car for your kids, what did you do?
Put it this way, get him something he doesn't want and he wont respect it, if he likes it, it will be respected much more.

I had the same problem when my parents forced me into buying my car, I don't really like it so I sorta don't give a rats *** what happens to it. If they had used their money to buy it for me than yeah I wouldn't complain because I didn't pay for it. I don't know, everyone is different, I'm talking about me.

I wanted an EL Falcon/BA Falcon and my parents forced me into buying a WS Fiesta, that cost me $18,000. Its new, its reliable and its safe but when you guys where 18 did you all want brand new Datsun 120Ys?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

If he's keen on a Celica, how about the 94-99 ST204?

Can get them with reasonable k's (100-150) for around the 11-13k mark for the sporty SX-R model and are a good piece of kit.

They use the same donk as the Camry from that era and have always been reasonably reliable .
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Celica Pffft, hairdressers car. This is for a bloke right :

He's decided it's to be 4cyl and toyota reliability is seen as favourable.

Only one choice really. Hilux!

Make it a single cab and he can't take too many friends along that might encourage him to push it too hard.

Plus they're unbreakable ;)

As an added bonus the wheels will be intergangable with Falcons. A 6cyl choice would be an AU (XR6) ute/cab-chassis for similar reasons as above.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wait, $19K for a Celica? You could bargain down a S15 Silvia Autech to about that much, 1200Kg 147Kw NA P plate legal. Makes the same power NA and the Australian delivered turbo 200SX(Silvia). Thats 4 cylinder too.

Not a bad looking car either
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I bet that would be cheap insurance to........................Not !!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your kid isnt an upstart and could/will appreciate things then by all means buy him a nice car,maybe not for a first($2k clapper to dent and scratch and blow up like all others his age)but maybe for a nice 2nd car when he can drive properly,(oh hang on he is getting his licence he can drive properly,we were all indestructable 17 year olds once !!)as for being able to repair it,most youngish blokes nowadays wouldnt know the front from the back
if he is mechanically minded maybe you and him do a father son project,the bonding will be good and youll both learn together(just a thought)
the market is flooded with 2nd hand cars at the moment,personally i would tend to go for reliability rather than looks,no point looking good parked on the side of the road
anyway my 2c worth
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I bet that would be cheap insurance to........................Not !!
Insurance for us goes on age, not the car. All the cars I looked at cost $2000-$2300 to insure under my name as an 18 year old at JustCar, doesn't matter if its a Corolla or a Nissan Silvia. Also any 2 door car at our age is going to be expensive. Thats for an L plater, P plater is even more expensive.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-01-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Why not try for toyota camry? Reliable as... Cheap to run and wont draw the attention from the local est,
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why do people look at imported rubbish
they mite sound cheapish and go fast,when theyre goin
but the repair bills are astronomical
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Celica Pffft, hairdressers car. This is for a bloke right :

He's decided it's to be 4cyl and toyota reliability is seen as favourable.

Only one choice really. Hilux!

Make it a single cab and he can't take too many friends along that might encourage him to push it too hard.

Plus they're unbreakable ;)

As an added bonus the wheels will be intergangable with Falcons. A 6cyl choice would be an AU (XR6) ute/cab-chassis for similar reasons as above.

he likes the XR's....i mentioned the celica. i take responsibility for that car.

on reflection, the best bang for your buck for road presence, pure horn, reliability, parts serviceability, today...is an AUXR6.

you can spot an AUXR6 from a mile away. they have a very distinctive look. i dotn think that there is a car that can match it, imagewise, for the price out there. it was put together ok as well. it was only the base model that was hated. thats affected the resale on all the models.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Raptor]Celica Pffft, hairdressers car. This is for a bloke right :

Agree - with above, Celica for a guy that likes presence, meh.

I would suggest taking him with you for a cruise through a number of car yards and see what is on offer within the mentioned price range. It doesn't mean that the car has to be bought from a car yard - just a bit of an eye opener of the range of vehicles that are available.

He has to make the choice in the end, but jeez - just steer him away from a Celica.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #24
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
he likes the XR's....i mentioned the celica. i take responsibility for that car.

on reflection, the best bang for your buck for road presence, pure horn, reliability, parts serviceability, today...is an AUXR6.

you can spot an AUXR6 from a mile away. they have a very distinctive look. i dotn think that there is a car that can match it, imagewise, for the price out there. it was put together ok as well. it was only the base model that was hated. thats affected the resale on all the models.

Beat me to it .
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU xr6 or even the base modal BA would be a good choice. You can pick up BA's for around 9-10grand now.

My first car was and still is a EL Ford Falcon had now for 5 years has never missed a beat. I believe a learner driver is better off in a bigger car than in a small ecobox.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
bingoTE50
Steve

My son will be using my 94 hilux or my wifes Mazda 3 depending on what is available.A few weeks away yet though.
At the moment his girlfriend drives them around in a new Mazda 2 , smart boy...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #27
Scott

Have a look at a VW 4Motion Bora - they are AWD, very nippy with a 2.8l V6, very well appointed and look brilliant with a good set of Oettingers fitted. The difference between one with the guards properly filled (ie, to the brim on 18's) and one not is incredible.

I can't say enough how much of a difference the right wheels make to these cars!!

They start at around $12k for a 2002 model and go upward from there - just make sure you REALLY drive the car and have a good play with all electrics. Quiz the owner on any gremlins as they did have a few. Deadset go-kart on wheels but a little thirsty probably averaging ~13l/100km in town.

Here's a pic of my wifes old one:

Last edited by GTP006; 11-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Cool, i just mentioned it because you said he liked the later model Celica.

I for one dont mind the 204, would be nice in GT4 spec...deinately no hairdressers there.

Come to think of it, my wifes friend is a hairdresser...she drives a Terri.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

I would defiantly go along with the AU for a first car ..... and if you can get an XR, even better.

2 things I found with my son. Buy a crapper, and it will stay that way and will just deteriorate. Doesn't get looked after, not cleaned "Whats the point? It looks the same washed or dirty!" In a good clean car, the attitude is a bit different and a bit of pride is there, was washed, cleaned and had a sook if he got a stone chip.

Even if you cannot find an AU XR, just a Fairmont with some nice wheels in the right colour would be a good P plater as well

As for Celica's and the like, if it is a stock Aust. import, no worries, but there are alot of grey imports out there and these MUST be stayed clear of, even if the price is tempting. Insurance and other problems can be an expensive nightmare. Especially anything with Turbo and many Celica rally options.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #30
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

Don't be too quick to jump on the VE electrics bandwagon, a lot of that is nonsense. For my son, and daughter for that matter, safety, fuel economy and reliability were the most important things to me. I made a pact with each that I would kick in $10,000 so long as they didn't do the schoolies thing. I also insisted the car have driver and passenger air bags. It's amazing how gifted money changes things.

I'm sure it will scar you kid for life not having a skyline or RX8, but at least he will have a better chance of survival when he has a 4WD plough into him and not have to worry about warranty repair costs.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post