Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default L Plates

Lot of talk lately about young kids and driving habits.
I just got into a discussion about learner drivers and their restrictions, and it seems that it is legal to learn to drive with passengers in the car,(only they can not distract driver with a mobile phone on speaker!!)
How can this be seen as responsible driver education.
Couple of scenarios..Kid has mum or dad next to them, brothers and sisters and barking ,jumping dog in the back seat, driving down to the coast to get some hours up, can anyone see where this is going?
Mate comes round to pick up learner driver, (he's had an open licence for a grand period of 1 year, so you can guess how good a supervisor he is going to be), pick up a couple of others on the way to the pub..learner doesn't drink, 'cause he's far too responsible for that, mate has had a couple, but thinks he's still ok to suprvise learner, but the 2 mates in the back are ****ed and start encouraging learner to "explore the boundaries" of his/her driving ability....
I was adamant that this could not be the case, but I've not been able to find information that shows any different.
I regard myself as a responsible parent, and would like to be able to say this sort of situation would not arise on my watch, but if this is legislation, I think it is rather flawed.