Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Default Windows Vista Flow Chart

For all those considering Windows Vista!

Timmeh!

Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

haha....i'll pay that...
good one
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Just a Windows XP update....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
robs_ls1

I can't get past "Stop being a smartass"...
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
XRchic
Hello

Hehe good one!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
joshcxa
Toothbrush Designer

hehe nice...its way to bloated. will wait a while before i get this
joshcxa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

We have been told by a heap of people in game rooms Not to get Vista.. Wait for about 12 mths first then get version 2
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I'm using Vista at the moment ("evaluating" it from work, so it didn't cost me a cent). It is very very fat (5.8GB just in the Windows folder). That said, it isn't as slow as I thought it would be. Everything runs smooth and quick, although it's a pity Nvidia have dropped the ball somewhat on driver support. That 3D Alt+Tab dealie really is cool. One thing that I found very irritating is the User Access Control feature. What it does is basically jump in and ask you do really want to do this (in relation to anything system related). After 10 minutes or so, I wanted to punch the computer. Luckily I found a way to switch it off.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
AUsome
/////Alpine

I heard they aucutally have been testing this for a while like for 10 or so months now
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
holmsy
Banned

yeh iv had it since half way through last year. its been around for ages.
if you have a computer that can handle the full grunt of vista then it takes up to about 14 gig of space just installing vista.
i however wont be using vista on my main computer untill probably half way through the year or something. giving time for companys to finish drivers and for them to fix the things that still dont work right. there are many issues with game support etc that sucks.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy
yeh iv had it since half way through last year. its been around for ages.
if you have a computer that can handle the full grunt of vista then it takes up to about 14 gig of space just installing vista.
i however wont be using vista on my main computer untill probably half way through the year or something. giving time for companys to finish drivers and for them to fix the things that still dont work right. there are many issues with game support etc that sucks.
It's not that fat holmsy. Vista takes up about 6.5GB all up. But that ain't a small footprint for an operating system in anyone's language. Just more things than can go pop (approx 50 millionlines of code).
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
Boss 260 Ute
Rice aint nice!

Hahahahahah nice chart there!
The teletubbies were bred by the wiggles by mating a rhino with a garden gnome. They were intended to be the ultimate warrior for world domination, cute like a gnome, yet violent like a Rhino. Instead they got 4 multicoloured, brainless rhino sized retards.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
a toll bar hit my car because of my annoying padels
^^Those bastards! LOL
Boss 260 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
It's not that fat holmsy. Vista takes up about 6.5GB all up.
Vista Ultimate = 12.5 gigs.

Vista Home would be less.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
holmsy
Banned

yeh there is many levels beacause of home and proffesional as well as ultimate and crappy. it depends on your system etc
Old 03-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i first said i hated vista, even made a thread

with ALOT of time and patients i actually LOVE vista wont go back to XP.

in all honesty, vista is SOOOO much more stable, little annoying with the options now everywhere, but for everything its alot better

nfs carbon was a little jumpy, like in the heavy bits but now runs 'smooth as' with vista, even though vista uses more resources

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1

Vista Home would be less.
Umm, I'm using Ultimate now and my partition of 25.8GB is 18.2GB free.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1

Vista Home would be worthless.
Just thought I'd fix your post.

I'm Waiting for 1st service pack, then for my computer to grow more ram and for the CPU to speed up.... it could be a while before I install Vista.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #18
farah9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Umm, I'm using Ultimate now and my partition of 25.8GB is 18.2GB free.
Are you using the 64 bit version or the 32 bit,I just upgraded to a 64 bit cpu so by the looks of it i'll probably get vista home premium or home ultimate 64 bit, the home basic looks pretty useless.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #19
5L
[ 5L ]

just got vista on friday night and i hate it, taking brand new pc back on monday to get changed to xp.

internet connection drops out for some reason,then when i try to sign back in it comes up with error 815: something to do with server name, and the value, this never happened on xp. also it says it comes up with a problem using windows messenger and closes the program. and signs in and out of yahoo messenger.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #20
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Yeah, I can't get past the smart *** part either. Oh well. I'm sure if I used windows on my laptop i'd probably consider caring about it...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #21
holmsy
Banned

my mate is using vista and is crackin it beacause there are many games still not working that he loved playing. as a person that plays alot of games im not going to vista untill they fix it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #22
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I was a Vista beta tester for over a year, been using it for a LONG time...I will NEVER go back to XP...us beta testers got a free full retail copy of Vista Ultimate

All of my games work in Vista with no problems...nVidia are at last bringing out some decent drivers.

Stay away from 64-bit though, unless you specifically need it for an application...there is still a lack of driver support, and you will gain nothing from it performance wise.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then why not MAC OS LEOPARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah9
Are you using the 64 bit version or the 32 bit,I just upgraded to a 64 bit cpu so by the looks of it i'll probably get vista home premium or home ultimate 64 bit, the home basic looks pretty useless.
I gots an Athlon 64 single core, but am using Vista Ultimate 32bit. I was previously using Windows XP 64bit. And so far so good, it even likes Need for Speed Carbon.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #25
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

I got given a copy of Vista Ultimate at the launch in Sydney last Tuesday... they threw in an Office 2007 Ultimate, too. Hard to believe that's almost $2K worth of kit right there.
XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

What's so good about vista? Is it as a big a jump as 3.11 to win95?
I'm a Mac O/S user, so Win XP et al are fairly...clumsy O/S's in my book. Cant complain too much about XP though, it has been fairly good to me.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #27
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline6
What's so good about vista? Is it as a big a jump as 3.11 to win95?
I'm a Mac O/S user, so Win XP et al are fairly...clumsy O/S's in my book. Cant complain too much about XP though, it has been fairly good to me.
It goes close, but because the average user doesn't see (or really comprehend) what goes on at the backend, they tend to see it as more of a prettier interface than anything else. But yes, gains on WinXP are substantial. And, of course, there's a 64-bit version. Most will pick it up as OEM with new systems, over time.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #28
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Rob
But yes, gains on WinXP are substantial.
Meh. Interface wise, it is what XP should have been 5 years ago. Bill Gates has wanted a MacOS style interface since 1984. Vista comes closer than ever before. One things for sure: It seems that all of the "new" features in Vista appeared elsewhere first.

It is true that most of the changes are invisible, but it is the things going on under the hood which you can't see that worry me. After using an honest OS like Linux, it is hard to go back to a closed source OS and feel 100% comfortable that nothing is going on behind your back. I'm never comfortable with software which phones home. Maybe that's just me.

Why do they still use NTFS? I mean, come on Microsoft. It isn't 1992 anymore. In the Linux world there are no fewer than 4 available 64 bit journalling filesystems. Nearly all of these were available before Windows XP came out 5 years ago. Why should disk fragmentation still be a major factor in performance in this day and age? A decent non-fragmenting filesystem isn't too much to ask for, especially when the OS costs as much as Vista.

That database search thing is neat, but again, this is a copied feature which goes back as far as 1983 when it appeared in BSD Unix. Microsoft has only implemented it now in order to attempt to mask the exceedingly lacklustre performance of NTFS. It's just smoke and mirrors.

Don't even get me started on the issue of DRM.

If you can live without the eye-candy features (like a bunch of incoherent "gadgets" or a rolodex style window chooser) then there's really nothing XP can't do that Vista can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline6
Is it as a big a jump as 3.11 to win95?
No way. It's more like the move from Windows 95 to Windows 98.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

DRM doesn't even bother the average person. It's just uber-geeks who are trying to spread content across multiple devices, or wannabe civil libertarians, that tend to get hung up on topics like DRM. The average computer user - and I stress "average" - doesn't even know what DRM stands for, let alone has major life issues with the fact it's built into their operating system
Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #30
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Rob
DRM doesn't even bother the average person. It's just uber-geeks who are trying to spread content across multiple devices, or wannabe civil libertarians, that tend to get hung up on topics like DRM. The average computer user - and I stress "average" - doesn't even know what DRM stands for, let alone has major life issues with the fact it's built into their operating system
It's sad that you feel this way. Obviously, you've never been affected by it. Contrary to your sentiments, it doesn't just affect "uber-geeks". It affects everyone who wants to do something as trivial as copy a song from a CD to their hard drive. Even the most basic hardware is capable of such a thing, so why should the software prevent it? The reality is that this affects everyone and it is only the Microsoft apologists (and vendors) who say otherwise.

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

"Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called “premium content”, typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista"

Anyhow, all of this aside, what can Vista do that XP can't?

Last edited by robs_ls1; 05-02-2007 at 12:11 PM.